Exploding Pagers - Lebanon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
Just saw this on BBC News:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cwyl9048gx8t

Given the reach of such technology in our world, including our trouser pockets, I think this must be one of the most terrifying things I've seen in a long while.
Not a political point, that'd be a real rabbit hole. But good grief, is this a new form of warfare/ conflict? Strewth.

Appears a small amount of explosive material was placed in the pagers prior to delivery. I imagine a code/text was sent that detonated the device, not unlike phones which are often used to set off terrorist bombs in the past few decades.

Last edited:
Could they hack the onboard computer and do it with an electric car?
BMW and other manufacturers have a system where if you want options after you buy the car you pay a yearly fee and the option, already installed but not functioning, can be switched on remotely from a dealership/franchise holder. Fail to pay the following year? It gets switched off.
I imagine if a manufacturer can remotely monitor an EV’s performance/location/service intervals it could well be hacked.

Fail to pay the following year? It gets switched off.
The future of our computers and the TPM module required for Windows 11, big brother has moved into your Pc !

Without taking any sides either, I have a certain respect for the innovation and scale of such a targeted plan.
Yes it was a well executed plan but I dare say there will be reprisals, it must be horrible living in Israel surrounded by people who want you gone and trying to get Lebanon more involved is probably not a good idea especially as Iran will soon become a nuclear power thanks to Russia.

I imagine if a manufacturer can remotely monitor an EV’s performance/location/service intervals it could well be hacked.
They have spent years making the security systems really sound and difficult to hack but did not think that the crooks would then just break into the house to steal the keys and then drive it away, solved one issue but created another.

Apparently pagers were the chosen carriers of the "device" as they do not transmit, and can all be activated simultaneously.

I also gather that Hezbollah (and I suspect many terrorist groups and normal companies) typically bulk order devices often using only one or two suppliers. Once the source of the equipment is known, intercepting the supply chain becomes relatively straightforward.

Surprises - the additional weight of explosive was not evident. Also why when a device failed, it was never dismantled to understand the reasons for failure when the additional components would be evident. Any software changes may not be obvious on physical inspection.

If hundreds or possibly thousands of devices were exploded, I assume they had been in circulation for some time - months or even a few years. One wonders what other technological surprises have been planted, who is responsible, and how, when and by whom they may be activated!!!

449191228-1010329314062224-5141250144449476106-n.jpg

I believe the first impressions are that the lithium batteries themselves are the explosive.
That’s not the story in the US where every channel seems to have an expert. The view seems to be that Mossad interrupted the supply chain. They switch to new pagers regularly and if the theory is correct the latest batch had a small explosive charge inserted.

However they did it (and without taking sides) I guess someone at Mossad is in line for a pay rise.

not unlike phones which are often used to set off terrorist bombs in the past few decades.
And theres irony in that.

Though it looks like Israel missed a trick. As in can you imagine how that would have went if they went off during a Hezbollah/Israel war. Thousands of fighters and commanders taken down in an instant. That would have turned any tide.

Still, we don't know if this is a prelude to war between those two breaking out.
Perhaps Israel is taking stock of who they've got, before deciding where best to launch any incursion into Lebanese territory

It sounds like real world James Bond stuff on a huge scale.
If explosives as is likely, then I'm guessing they must have infiltrated the supply chain to plant them.
Without taking any sides either, I have a certain respect for the innovation and scale of such a targeted plan.
Hezbollah started using pagers after one of their leaders was killed in a similar way, by the Israelis planting explosives in his mobile phone.
Whatever your views it was certainly ingenious.

The future of our computers and the TPM module required for Windows 11, big brother has moved into your Pc !

Yes it was a well executed plan but I dare say there will be reprisals, it must be horrible living in Israel surrounded by people who want you gone and trying to get Lebanon more involved is probably not a good idea especially as Iran will soon become a nuclear power thanks to Russia.

They have spent years making the security systems really sound and difficult to hack but did not think that the crooks would then just break into the house to steal the keys and then drive it away, solved one issue but created another.
I doubt Israel will ever allow Iran to reach that stage. Remember the attack on the centrifuges used in the process?
As I understand it malware was introduced to their system that could specifically target the relevant software. Basically causing the centrifuges to run so fast they blew up, whilst the monitoring system reported everything as normal. Put the programme back years.
How was it introduced,? One theory was they simply put it on memory sticks, disguised as innocent photos or similar. These were then left in cafes and other venues known to be frequented by staff at the plant. People can't resist plugging it in to see what's on it, and sooner or later someone was going to do this at work.
Not sure if Israel ever acknowledged responsibility, but probably them. They are very good at this sort of stuff.
I blame Trump. Had he not pulled out of the deal we had with Iran we probably wouldn't need to worry about this, and likely Iran would not be supplying their drones to Russia for use in Ukraine.

Added benefit of this action is that they will have identified a large number of Hezbollah members they might not have known about.

No doubt there will be agents gathering data in the hospitals.

You have to admire the planning and execution of this. 007 and Mission Impossible in real life.

I imagine there's a huge number of pagers being dismantled by nervous terrorists across the Middle East at the moment.

Back