Gotten

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
" Ill gotten gains" might be the only context in which we still might use it. An American college tutor of mine used to use it all the time, and he hailed from New York. But others I have known rarely if ever used it .Maybe because their ancestors arrived later than the Pilgrim Fathers. :giggle:

" Ill gotten gains" might be the only context in which we still might use it. An American college tutor of mine used to use it all the time, and he hailed from New York. But others I have known rarely if ever used it .Maybe because their ancestors arrived later than the Pilgrim Fathers. :giggle:
It's just rhetorical. Whether or not gains are ill-gotten varies from person to person but very often it is the case! :unsure:

Last edited:
I'm commonly intrigued to hear people say they refute an accusation against them of some form of naughtiness, or worse, and I wait in vain for the accused to offer some form of refutation indicating the allegation is false, but a refutation is almost never proffered.

I've come to the conclusion that many people, perhaps a majority, think the word refute means the same as deny even if I don't agree. Perhaps it now does because of language evolution. Slainte.

I'm both ways on this. Language does change over time, and I have no problem with that in principle. However, the pedant in me objects to it as well. My attitude is completely ad hoc. I don't mind "gotten" but the one I currently dislike is saying sorry when you want to get past someone, rather than excuse me. In this instance it's a request, not an apology and dilutes the meaning of the word sorry

The one that gets to me every time is when people write brought when they mean bought.
I had a neighbour who said #lend#, instead of #borrow#. So, whenever I was asked; "Can I lend your 'item'"? I always replied:- "To whom are you going to lend it to?" She never ever caught on.

Text speak has bothered me for some time. It will destroy the art of communication as well as the ability we have to express ourselves and describe in the written form and,therefore the spoken word. I was trying to buy a mower on Ebay recently but failed to complete the deal as the seller was unable to tell me anything. When I asked whether it was still available the answer was "Yep". Normally you would expect some further comments eg. "Give me a call on xxxxx if you are interested" or where are you and when could I call to see it etc. I tried to ask him for further essential information but got the same response -"Yep". Recently I needed someone to interpret a written message to me! It is frightening to see what is happening to our basic culture if we allow this to continue - maybe Russia is righ to protect it's language!

PS :- On Facebook Marketplace you don't even need to type in "Is it still available?" -- just press abutton! This is why, IMO, you get so many timewasters.

Back