Got iphone - need help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an iphone too (now there's a surprise) but the screen covers are pence so don't worry too much about damage. The lack of buttons also means a lack of holes for dust to get in.

Simon keeps his in a bump case and a cloth bag/case thing when he's working and it is surviving much better than his other phones. (Especially as I haven't washed it yet)

When you are costing up don't forget insurance, which on a smartphone is not cheap. The service providers may not be cheap and there are alternatives but look very carefully at the level of cover.

I do have to warn you, the slope is very very slippery.

wobblycogs":3frwx6v0 said:
I like the iPhone4 but you need to be an Apple person in my view. Not being able to just stick arbitrary files on the phone using standard Windows drive mappings for me is a show stopper.

Dropbox is your friend. iPhone app, desktop/laptop app, and a web interface. No reason not to be able to access files from anywhere and they don't get lost if you lose your phone/memory stick/whatever.

Re insurance... often covered on household insurance up to X value per phone. I'll just stump up the difference if necessary. Saying that... Apple sent a friend a free new phone when he dropped his first one in a pint of beer. He's since traded in the beer'd phone and the replacement for a 4.

Ditto the above re insurance. I wouldn't pay for it. Normally it'll be covered in house insurance to some extent so why fork out?

personally I dont get the desire to be constantly available by email - afterall you've got your mobile with you and if its important they'll phone - the joy of email is that it can wait until you are available so I dont want to be getting constant you've got mail alerts while i'm away from the office.

That said if i did want to - my preference would be rather than spending 400 notes on a HTC or whatever to spend about half that on a baby laptop and mobile broadband

CNC Paul":2zvjv41q said:
Karl,
The only comment I can make is the iPhone is the only phone ( same one for 2 years) I have owned that has not been affected by dust (screen and buttons), all the others had to periodically stripped down and cleaned or packed up.

+1. I had Sony Ericsson phones for years and there were always problems due to dust ingress under the screen and buttons, memory stick slots etc... I've had iPhones since they came out and they haven't been treated with any more care than the SE phones (case and screen protector) and yet they were/are in close to perfect condition, considering they've spent most of their life in the pocket of my work cargo pants...

Pete

big soft moose":36517ylf said:
personally I dont get the desire to be constantly available by email - afterall you've got your mobile with you and if its important they'll phone - the joy of email is that it can wait until you are available so I dont want to be getting constant you've got mail alerts while i'm away from the office.

Email does not equal constantly available. I choose when to respond to emails and I do not have alerts switched on. The fact that people know I have mobile access to my emails means they are more inclined to email me which is good because I don't want to be constantly contacted by phone. So, for me, the benefit is that I can use downtime to respond to emails.

It'll be an i-phone 4, I think. Can't actually upgrade until 5 November, so i'll have to make do until then.

The cost is minimal (£89) if I upgrade my price plan, which I intended to do anyway (as I use more than my allotted 500min per month at the moment).

Cheers for all input.

Karl

Hope you're happy with it - I don't know of anyone who bought an iPhone and regretted it (aside from a couple of uber-geeks who do unspeakable things to consumer electronics for fun). I can recommend these people for cases:-

http://www.switcheasy-europe.com/

Let us know how you get on.

Pete

Karl":1mp40i5m said:
It'll be an i-phone 4,

I love my i-phone, i had 2 blackberrys, broke both on site, they don`t like plaster :lol: :lol:

With a screen cover & a silicone back cover i`ve dropped the i-phone a few times & it`s still going, also no visible keys to fill with with dust/plaster/rubbish.

Don`t doubt the other phones mentioned are excellent but they aren`t conducive with site work :lol: :lol:

i`m on orange business, the phone was free, 750 minutes, unlimited internet & loads of texts, don`t know how many, don`t use um except for jokes. :roll:

Doug.

Doug B":3do3mmaa said:
Karl":3do3mmaa said:
It'll be an i-phone 4,

I love my i-phone, i had 2 blackberrys, broke both on site, they don`t like plaster :lol: :lol:

With a screen cover & a silicone back cover i`ve dropped the i-phone a few times & it`s still going, also no visible keys to fill with with dust/plaster/rubbish.

Don`t doubt the other phones mentioned are excellent but they aren`t conducive with site work :lol: :lol:

i`m on orange business, the phone was free, 750 minutes, unlimited internet & loads of texts, don`t know how many, don`t use um except for jokes. :roll:

Doug.

How much per month Doug?

I've just bought an HTC Wildfire it's half the price of the Desire.

Orange "Dolphin" Top up £10 a month gets me everything I want

You can text, poke or tweet as many times as you like with Dolphin. Just top up £10 or more each month and you 300 free texts and free internet on your phone.

£10 top up = 300 free texts plus free internet

Im off to get the HTC Desire tmw as I think its the best overall Cost/Function/Look etc etc @ £25 p/m with calls/texts/internet and free phone . . It has rubbish battery life but a good camera (not as good as my C905 though). Some decent apps, touch screen is just as good as an iphone.

In my humble opinion, if you want a smart phone that does it all and you can afford it get an iPhone 4
If you want a phone for email and general communication go for a Blackberry
If you want a good all rounder get the Desire.
The 'Updated' Desire's are not much different imho. One has a keypad for the 'Large of Thumb' and the other does HD video.

£300 quid a year or is it 2 years £600 (for a few phone calls),how you can find anything free in that amazes me!

andycktm":3hdld6yq said:
£300 quid a year or is it 2 years £600 (for a few phone calls),how you can find anything free in that amazes me!

It will be tax deductible to karl, so it`s not major league, though no one wants to pay over the odds. It`s just about getting the best equipment for your particular business.

Fair do's.
On a side note are you sure you ought to tell everybody your secretary has the night off.
What happens if the husbands reading this and thinks she's at work?

andycktm":20vbk1fm said:
When I say free it might aswell be compared to an iPhone 4!!
To get one on a £25p/m contract outside of a business contract cost serious money for the phone first.

Phones are a VERY personal choice

Iv'e had a Nokia E71 for 12 months on a full web access O2 and the phone suits me very well. Solid metal build and querty keyboard - but - the web access is slow and compared to my sons' Iphone it's like ford v ferrari so I'll be looking closely when I change.

I took out a 24 month contract at £25 but got a cash rebate which brings it down to £20. Guess better deals are available now!

Bob

Latest posts

Back