Suitable alternatives to a Record SC4 chuck for a Coronet Major?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinpeer

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a chuck for my Coronet Major lathe. It has the ⅞"x16tpi thread on the headstock so I know I'd need an adapter for any chuck I get.

Been looking at the Record SC4 which is around £140 for the basic kit plus a bit more for the necessary insert. I've found the Supernova 2 for around £185 with insert, so similar price.

Then there's the Axminster chucks but they seem to be sold with a direct thread from what I've read on the website although I may be incorrect there but is available in M33x3.5 and I've seen other chucks with that thread offered with adapters. Also they're on sale currently and the 114 package can be had for £230 (£100 off) and then a bit more for an adapter if that can be done, so £250, a bit above budget but they do seem to be very well reviewed from what I can see.

Whichever chuck I get, I'd probably want it to have an interchangeable head so that if I decide I really enjoy turning and want to upgrade at any point, then I could take the investment in chuck and jaws with me.

Any other chucks I should be considering with a budget roughly around £200 for a chuck and basic accessories?

I'd go with an insert model. Then it won't matter what lathe you may get in the future as all you'd have to do is swap out the insert. Somewhere on here is an excellent write up on chucks and which makes have interchangable jaws etc.

Latest posts

Back