Garden Find - 810g Warrington Hammer's Age?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarus_42

Reaction score
1000016080.jpg
1000016081.jpg
1000016082.jpg

Hi Chaps! First post (& the reason I joined) here, I found you when researching a hammer I dug up in the garden.
It looked like a chunk of muddy rust but the weight meant there was something worthwhile in there.
So into the electrolysis bath it went!
Out came the Warrington pattern hammer you can see. The only marking is a No.10 on it. It weighs a chunky 810g which is 1lb 12½oz. I didn't know they went that big!
What I'm really interested in is it's age... It's a long shot but can anyone help?
Cheers!
L

View attachment 187025View attachment 187026View attachment 187027

Hi Chaps! First post (& the reason I joined) here, I found you when researching a hammer I dug up in the garden.
It looked like a chunk of muddy rust but the weight meant there was something worthwhile in there.
So into the electrolysis bath it went!
Out came the Warrington pattern hammer you can see. The only marking is a No.10 on it. It weighs a chunky 810g which is 1lb 12½oz. I didn't know they went that big!
What I'm really interested in is it's age... It's a long shot but can anyone help?
Cheers!
L
According to Wikipedia warrington started making tools around mid 1800s so sometime after 1850s is my guess. Not much help😉

According to Wikipedia warrington started making tools around mid 1800s so sometime after 1850s is my guess. Not much help😉
Interesting though, I thought it was the area that gave it's name to the hammer, like the Kent pattern axe. But you're talking like it's a company.
That gives me another avenue, thank you!
L ☮️

There has been a previous thread on this forum, about the size and weights of Warrington hammers It is easy enough to find if you do a search. The no 10 is listed as being a 31 oz hammer - which probably includes the handle. 🤔

31oz is a beast of a hammer. I had always looked at the warrington as a small hammer for finer work. Never knew they came that big.
Regards
John

How’s the resto going - got a handle on it yet?
That size starts to move into blacksmithing territory

Back