£1,000 budget for a planer thicknesser - what would you buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Co1

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
As above. I’m resigned to the fact that I need one. Will be largely used for milling oak boards of about 2.2m length. Needs to be single phase and I’m easy either going new or second hand.

Where would you put your money?

Thanks
Col

For me the key question is do you have enough space to go with separates, or must it be a combo machine?
If you have the space (and use of castors means often you can), then I'd get a pair of Multico's second hand - the 9" planer and 12" thicknesser.
I had a PT260 combo machine and traded up...and have been delighted. Incredibly solidly built, inexpensive (by comparison), beautifully made and have handled everything I've thrown at them. Generally £300-500 for a good one of either, so say £800 overall. Cheaper if you go for 3PH and run from a VFD (I do this).
The only downside I've found is that you can't get a spiral block, but that's going over your budget anyway.
If you must have a combo, I think the BAOS is hard to beat?

Last edited:
For me the key question is do you have enough space to go with separates, or must it be a combo machine?
If you have the space (and use of castors means often you can), then I'd get a pair of Multico's second hand - the 9" planer and 12" thicknesser.
I had a PT260 combo machine and traded up...and have been delighted. Incredibly solidly built, inexpensive (by comparison), beautifully made and have handled everything I've thrown at them. Generally £300-500 for a good one of either, so say £800 overall. Cheaper if you go for 3PH and run from a VFD (I do this).
The only downside I've found is that you can't get a spiral block, but that's going over your budget anyway.

Space is tight, so it needs to be a combo. Having said that, a lunchbox thicknessers don’t take up much room, so perhaps! 🤔

Last edited:
I've consider a cheap surfacer and separate thicknesser.
Most better quality stand alone thicknessers are 12 or 13 inches. A combined PT at that width can be a pretty heavyweight item and command a fair bit of floor space.

Good thing about a separate thicknesser you can use it outside where space isnt at a premium when thicknessing big long boards.

My ideal would be the discontinued Axminster 6" surface planer and their spiral block thicknesser.

I think sedgwick is a good bet. You won’t have to lift the tables on the planer, which is what usually causes them to go out and need constant adjusting.
You might be able to upgrade to spiral down the line model depending?

I had one of the 10" planer thicknessers that are rebadged by Axminster, Charnwood etc for about 4 years (bought new) and it was actually okay. Maybe I was lucky and got a good one because you do hear horror stories, I had to change some bearings after about 3 years but it did get a lot of use.

I now have a big old Sedgwick which is rock solid but not as good as the Axminster was when it comes to dust extraction etc.

I'd take a look at what is available new in your price range and also keep an eye on Ebay. If you spot something you like on Ebay maybe post a link to get peoples opinions on it.

Thanks Doug. Funnily enough I am going to see an old 10” Axminster AW106PT on Wednesday that looks like it might both fit the bill, and give me a bit of change!

I've had one if these for 20yrs and it's a lovely, hard working piece of kit. Rock solid in use, and dismantleable and rebuildable.

The only thing of which I'm cautious is the blade securing mechanism. It's not a wedge shaped holder, but straight sided so theoretically could throw a blade if not correctly tightened. I've never had a problem.

Thanks Doug. Funnily enough I am going to see an old 10” Axminster AW106PT on Wednesday that looks like it might both fit the bill, and give me a bit of change!

That's the one I had, in fact it's still in my store room ready for when I downsize.

The fence on mine had a slight bow in it but was straight near the blades which is where it matters and you had to keep an eye on the outfeed table as it didn't always return to the correct position after thicknessing.

It had a 3 knife block which left a good finish, the dust extraction worked well and it was just about light enough to be able to move around by myself.

At the time Axminster sold a little digital read out that fitted behind the thicknesser height adjustment wheel, looks like it comes as standard on their planers now, very handy if you can get hold of one that fits.

Back