Flattening plates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitardoctorW7

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to bring up the S word but I have a confusion that I'm hoping someone could help me with please?
I'm finally comfortable S'ing my planes and chisels, I won't say exactly how as the howls of derision may go on for weeks. Suffice to say it involves some Shapton ceramic plates, and very good they seem too (to me). However there is talk of a 'flattening plate' which I get for wet stones but do I need one for these? If the general consensus is yes, I'll bite the bullet but the Shapton one is £225!!!!!!
Please play nicely......😀

I'm really sorry to bring up the S word but I have a confusion that I'm hoping someone could help me with please?
I'm finally comfortable S'ing my planes and chisels, I won't say exactly how as the howls of derision may go on for weeks. Suffice to say it involves some Shapton ceramic plates, and very good they seem too (to me). However there is talk of a 'flattening plate' which I get for wet stones but do I need one for these? If the general consensus is yes, I'll bite the bullet but the Shapton one is £225!!!!!!
🤣
Modern sharpening is a massive money making exercise for the suppliers.
Trad sharpening could cost less than £100 for life. And is faster and easier.
Just came up this morning: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/good-description-of-how-a-handplane-works.147420/#post-1758226

Last edited:
W(h)et stones? Oil or water?

You don’t need the shapton - sandpaper on something flat works in a pinch. In Japan most people I saw were using an atoma plate - £40 in Japan a bit more here

You still hone on a water stone. If you use water stones carefully (as with oilstones) they don't get badly hollow in the first place. If they do flatten them on anything harder - I do mine (a couple of times in forty years) on a coping stone on the garden wall.

Last edited:
You still hone on a water stone. If you use water stones carefully (as with oilstones) they don't get get badly hollow in the first place. If they do flatten them on anything harder - I do mine (a couple of times in forty years) on a coping stone on the garden wall.
Yes apologies and thank you for your sage advice👍🏻

Latest posts

Back