Metal shed for workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diytoolbox

Established Member
Reaction score
I have this metal shed 13x11 to set up in the garden. I also have an old rotting wooden shed as well.
The wooden shed needs serious refurbishing which will take time and funds.

I am wondering if the new cheap thin metal shed can serve as a wood work shop operating mitre saw, band saw, table saw and wood carving workbench as well as storing the electrical wood tools and the wood carving gouges. I am planning to use some sort of heater in the metal shed, such as electric or gas heater, or even wood burning stove.

What would be possible problems using the metal shed as wood workshop in the garden?

Condensation
Condensation
Condensation.

You need to insulate it well.

Multifoil polystyrene or celotex depending on the budget.

Condensation
Condensation
Condensation.

You need to insulate it well.

Multifoil polystyrene or celotex depending on the budget.

The metal shed has 2x large vents both front and back of the shed. Would it not be enough vents for pushing out most of the condensation in the shed?
How about installing a 24 hr running small vent fan in the shed as well?

I second the condensation problem, the local football club hire our field at weekends and have a metal shed on site, it's constantly damp in there, once you insulate it maybe consider adding solar powered fans to the vents.

I’ve got a small metal shed we keep our lawnmower in, it’s very well ventilated, in fact one end of it is 4” off the ground but it’s always damp inside it. In the summer it gets ridiculously hot inside but still is a swimming pool in the morning. The only reason our mower isn’t rusty is because it’s almost all plastic!

If you are on a tight budget always do the roof insulation if nothing else. When I built my timber shed, 10x7.5m money was tight. One half of it is divided in two, one section being my tool room. This is fully insulated with 4inch rock wool in walls and ceiling. I had intended the same for the whole building, but couldn't afford it at the time. The rest of the building only has insulation in the roof.
During construction in the summer two things were very noticeable. The completed tool room was very much cooler than the rest of the building with as yet uninsulated roof, as you would expect. Once the main building roof was insulated there was really very little noticeable difference between the two, even though there is still no insulation in the walls.
Having once inherited a wriggle tin shed with a house we bought I would say never again. Boiling in the summer, freezing in the winter and with water dripping from the roof and streaming down the walls at every opportunity.
You will have to fully insulate it to avoid these issues.

I have a couple of metal stores. These get ridiculously hot inside when the sun shines directly on them and the condensation rains from the roof on chilly nights.
Because of this, I haven’t got a lot stored in them but am considering adding trickle vents (there is no ventilation) and a second OSB/felt roof over 50mm PIR board (I have some offcuts).

Latest posts

Back