Cost difference between S4S and rough hardwoods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like I won’t like this answer, but would I get away with a lunchbox thicknesser and then use my tracksaw to create the jointing surface? Having spoken to my timber merchant, getting it S4S will pretty much double the cost, but I really can’t see how I can fit a Planer Thicknesser into the workshop.

I am currently using a Makita nb2012 thicknesser, a Record No 7 plane, track and table saws and a 1/2 router to make a new front door plus frame. I now reckon you need more than my hobbiest gear for this kind of work, I'll get there but it's a struggle. Would have speeded things up if I'd not decided to make the door with gunstock stiles mind you.
1726150068854.png

Thanks Gus. I’m in no rush, so don’t mind taking a bit more time. The client is my wife!!

Judging by your example, it certainly looks doable! Have you got a build/project TV thread on the go for them?

I don't know how anyone working with timber manages without a planer thicknesser, I'd say it's essential if you are considering making doors and windows.

It looks like the door @Gus900 is making is being made from Accoya. Accoya is much easier to work than Oak, it's lighter, softer, straighter and comes in standard sizes.

This might be an unpopular response. Have you ever had a PT or a moulder? It is unusual to contemplate making doors and windows without having these machines, which makes me wonder how experienced you are with this kind of joinery. Making doors + frames and windows can be quite a challenge to do all the work necessary to make them robust and draught proof as well as square and not twisted. Mistakes can waste a lot of expensive material. Oak has now become very premium priced: I used to buy it pre-covid at £23 a cubic foot and it is now over £70 for good stuff in Kent. Oak moves around a fair bit. I would not even think about making a lot of doors and windows without a PT, and either a domino or mortising machine. Doing all the work for mouldings and draught proofing slots is going to be very tedious and slow using a router and will lead to errors with run out in my experience. Is there another room in the proposed house that could potentially be a temporary workshop that will enable you to buy a spindle and then sell it again when the work is done? You will need somewhere dry and humidity controlled to store the wood anyway.

Thanks AJB, I appreciate the feedback. I’ve worked with oak a fair bit, including doors using a domino as you say. I also had a PT in a bigger workshop. Routing weather strip rebates has never been an issue.

I’m also pretty convinced there is no way to work around not having an PT again. There is an unused space in front of the garage doors where it will fit nicely, will just have to make a folly to shift it around on.

Reiterating my previous post about storage, had a small delivery this week:

long boards 1.jpg long boards 2.jpg

Thank fully they are only 27mm thick so shouldn't be to much like hard work to plane them!

For the amount of things you are planning to make (multiple doors etc) I would say I a PT is a must and would have half paid for itself by the end of it. that is if you can sort the space issue of course

Latest posts

Back