Folkstone Fixings (FFX) placed into Administration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They closed Basingstoke too.

A lot of these companies don’t realise that you need too buy your own property to avoid ups and downs and to weather storms.
Axminster closed their locations becuase the rent after review went up by 3x.
One of the best thing you can do is own your own premises.
Unfortunately the conservative government and now labour, are throttling industrial and commercial which is putting up rates ridiculously. Another burden on British business.
I was talking to a bloke in a local town with a little record shop. Must have been 15 years back. He was telling me what the costs of running the place were, and it was ridiculous back then. Can't remember now, but it was thousands in rent, more in business rates, and a hefty chunk for electricity. He told me he would stick it out to the end of his lease, and he was going online, he said he was already doing a healthy percentage of his business that way.

Not a town I go to often, but last time I looked he was gone. So as usual the council, motto "We're short of funds" has taxed people out of business basically.

I doubt if anyone in the council knows what a Laffer curve is. Householders may not have a choice but to pay whatever they ask, but businesses do.

I was talking to a bloke in a local town with a little record shop. Must have been 15 years back. He was telling me what the costs of running the place were, and it was ridiculous back then. Can't remember now, but it was thousands in rent, more in business rates, and a hefty chunk for electricity. He told me he would stick it out to the end of his lease, and he was going online, he said he was already doing a healthy percentage of his business that way.

Not a town I go to often, but last time I looked he was gone. So as usual the council, motto "We're short of funds" has taxed people out of business basically.

I doubt if anyone in the council knows what a Laffer curve is. Householders may not have a choice but to pay whatever they ask, but businesses do.
So true - there was an silly person in Ipswich who did almost that.

The town centre is dying -> we get less revenue -> we need to increase parking fees to raise money -> rinse and repeat.

I remember a garden shop I used to frequent being one of the first to appreciate this - and move out.

Just a heads up to people who have actual losses as part of this. I received the following email this morning, I assume it a phishing attempt:

kroll Restructuring Administration : FTX creditors update
Kroll Restructuring<[email protected]>

We are pleased to inform you that the FTX Customer Claims Portal is now live, allowing you to access your FTX account information and check the amount of your refund.

The link in the 'claim now' button looks particularly suspect. Don't click on it.

To those complaining about FFX service etc., here's their eBay stats:

1727885461325.png

That's pretty impressive. Over 1 million feedback comments, the vast majority extremely positive.

My experience of them was always excellent, both on-line and visiting their shops. They provided a good service and I for one am sorry to see them go.

Last edited:
HMRC are the prime creditor and always get their money before anyone else …
As others have said, sadly no. Often the top company in a deliberately complex structure lends money to the operating company with a charge against assets, so they get their money back first. Another common tactic for a private equity investor is to split any property assets from the operating company and lease them back to them. The operating company goes bust, the holding company is left with the property. That happened with mfi and a big care home group. There are many ways to get money out of a business even if it makes no profit, high interest rates, loan arrangement fees, directors fees and so on. When GM bought SAAB they transferred all the design IP and brand to the parent company and charged SAAB to use it, so GM made money while SAAB made losses. Transfer pricing tricks as well, an intermediate company in the structure buys stock for £X and sells it to the public facing company for £X+, when it all gets a bit tough the bottom company is allowed to go into administration, a lot of cash has already moved up the chain l. HMRC are a preferred creditor but many companies are structured so they, (we the taxpayer) are left with nothing.

Yes. I agree. ^^ I have hinted at same in my posts. Family pension trusts are sometimes used in a similar way to shelter assets and charge loan interest and brand licence fees. Sometimes the auditors of the pension trust / hedgefund PEI / topco and that of the operating company are different. The cynical might think divide and rule is at play.

Latest posts

Back