Folkstone Fixings (FFX) placed into Administration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They closed Basingstoke too.

A lot of these companies don’t realise that you need too buy your own property to avoid ups and downs and to weather storms.
Axminster closed their locations becuase the rent after review went up by 3x.
One of the best thing you can do is own your own premises.
Unfortunately the conservative government and now labour, are throttling industrial and commercial which is putting up rates ridiculously. Another burden on British business.
I was talking to a bloke in a local town with a little record shop. Must have been 15 years back. He was telling me what the costs of running the place were, and it was ridiculous back then. Can't remember now, but it was thousands in rent, more in business rates, and a hefty chunk for electricity. He told me he would stick it out to the end of his lease, and he was going online, he said he was already doing a healthy percentage of his business that way.

Not a town I go to often, but last time I looked he was gone. So as usual the council, motto "We're short of funds" has taxed people out of business basically.

I doubt if anyone in the council knows what a Laffer curve is. Householders may not have a choice but to pay whatever they ask, but businesses do.

I was talking to a bloke in a local town with a little record shop. Must have been 15 years back. He was telling me what the costs of running the place were, and it was ridiculous back then. Can't remember now, but it was thousands in rent, more in business rates, and a hefty chunk for electricity. He told me he would stick it out to the end of his lease, and he was going online, he said he was already doing a healthy percentage of his business that way.

Not a town I go to often, but last time I looked he was gone. So as usual the council, motto "We're short of funds" has taxed people out of business basically.

I doubt if anyone in the council knows what a Laffer curve is. Householders may not have a choice but to pay whatever they ask, but businesses do.
So true - there was an silly person in Ipswich who did almost that.

The town centre is dying -> we get less revenue -> we need to increase parking fees to raise money -> rinse and repeat.

I remember a garden shop I used to frequent being one of the first to appreciate this - and move out.

Back