Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not 'hell bent' on discrediting anything that's out there. Unlike you who appears to take anything at face value when it confirms your own prejudices, I prefer to look at the facts and figures and their accuracy and then take a view. I love your phrase 'highly likely'. In your opinion.

The best researched report that I have found is the one done by Field Dynamics and featured in the RAC report. The other reports, like that .gov one, I have seen simply take a tiny sample and then multiply it up with a bit of statistic fiddling.

The FD report assesses every building in England by using the OS MasterMap Topography layer
View attachment 189067
Incidentally, anyone can dip into it by using the Magic.Defra website which is a brilliant research tool.

They took the average sized car, added room to open doors etc and came up with a requirement for a parking space of 3.8m x 5.4m. Their algorithms then scanned that OS data looking for properties with that size or more. Each property was then cross-referenced with anothee OS dataset - AddressBase which matches 29 million Royal Mail postal address to unique property reference numbers (UPRN). Somehow - it's not clear - they then excluded factories, public buildings etc and that then resulted in them working out how many 'potential ' parking spaces there were.
View attachment 189068
Blue would be space for one vehicle. Pink for two. Further cross-referencing produced this interactive chart by local authority.

https://onstreetcharging.acceleratedinsightplatform.com/

And they arrived at a figure of 65%. Only it will be lower than because in that photo of the house I posted above, clearly that plot has no potential. There will be other reasons why a potential space can't be used...bus stops, street lighting etc ...and his is acknowledged in the RAC report,

So all we can say is that it will be less than 65% but by how much, no-one knows.

But one thing is for certain and that it is not 'most' properties have the potential for off-street parking.

As you say, this aspect of the topic has run its course.
What do you think "most" means, just out of curiosity?

What do you think "most" means, just out of curiosity?
From ChatGPT

The term "most" generally refers to a majority, but the exact percentage can vary based on context. In many cases, it means more than 50%. However, depending on usage and context, "most" might imply a higher percentage, such as around 60-90%, to indicate a significant majority. There is no strict numerical definition for "most," so interpretation can depend on the situation and common understanding.

I would say the use of most in the context used in this thread was accurate

Would you rather have 2.5 tonnes of metal around you when someone drives into you or a few hundred kg? I know which I prefer. I have been rear ended in a 2 seater and t-boned in a 4x4 and I know which one felt better.
You have missed out an important factor, you need to include velocity as well. So a lighter vehicle traveling at speed could have more impact energy than a heavy vehicle traveling slower. In real terms this means that when someone pulls out that you are not able to avoid then rather than braking you should accelerate.

Fortunately inadequate recharging facilities may be a short term problem. Autonomous vehicles, summoned via an app, and recharged centrally will increasingly become commonplace. Private EV ownership will decline. Many properties will need no parking spaces!
This is apparently part of Elon Musks plan. Tesla is not expected to produce vehicles for private ownership for the long term. Their first Cybercab is due for release next year I think. China being the first country most likely to adopt them. I’m not sure how common they are over there but there was an article on TV about autonomous buses already operating in China.

Back