Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL- so its a tiny driveway then???
Mine I can do a standing start in the 8 tonne tilt tray, and exceed the states road speed limit in my driveway before needing to stop...

550m long...
View attachment 189036
Drive for half a kilometre and you get to my place....
(I'd hate to think how many cars I could fit on that- probably every car in the entire town lol- there's only 1500 of us here...)
To paraphase another famous Aussie- 'thats not a driveway, THIS is a driveway....'
View attachment 189037
You have to be careful you have enough range to get to your charger 😂😂😂😂😂

You have to be careful you have enough range to get to your charger 😂😂😂😂😂
Quick thinks...
my driveway is 550m long, say half a kilometre, if I used the Atto 3 just for driving to the front gate and back, thats over 800 trips before it needs a recharge...
Over a year between recharges just checking the mail once a day (which I wouldn't do because we only get mail twice a week here lol)

Quick thinks...
my driveway is 550m long, say half a kilometre, if I used the Atto 3 just for driving to the front gate and back, thats over 800 trips before it needs a recharge...
Over a year between recharges just checking the mail once a day (which I wouldn't do because we only get mail twice a week here lol)
But you could have a drive down there and back just for fun 😂 😂

Yet Finland sales of EV top ICE this year. I would expect the charging infrastructure to be accelerating rapidly.
I haven't checked but I'm guessing there are tax incentives at work there. EV sales in Norway are outstripping petrol ICE (but not diesel) too - ironic really given that their economy is built on oil.

I haven't checked but I'm guessing there are tax incentives at work there. EV sales in Norway are outstripping petrol ICE (but not diesel) too - ironic really given that their economy is built on oil.
True indeed. Exporting the problem 😀
Give both countries climates it will be an interesting test case for EV utilisation and to see just how charging scales to meet demand.

Most EV users in such places drive fairly short distances- so much so that a single 1/2- 3/4 hour charge would cover their entire weekly needs (do it while shopping,which is why many supermarkets now have multiple fast chargers at them) so they really don't need access to a home charger...

And the number of people that 'absolutely can't charge an EV' someway, somehow, is so small its IS negligible... and the gains of owning one mean that the number of people that 'CAN'T' use an EV at all is TINY....

Hell, I' buying one later this year myself- and I don't even have the grid on here at all!!! (offgrid solar) and it still works out cheaper and better for me lol
How do you know it is 'most'? You simply love using that word without any basis of fact unless you've spoken to 'most'. I'd be happier if you put IMO in front.

True indeed. Exporting the problem 😀
Give both countries climates it will be an interesting test case for EV utilisation and to see just how charging scales to meet demand.
They have electric points at every bay in most car parks for engine heating in winter so the infrastructure for slow charging is already there.

Which is why my car's a classic :)
So just good old mechanical failure to worry about. My main car is a 300Tdi defender 110. It has a single electrical component in the entire drive chain, the fuel solenoid, ironically I had to get towed home on one occasion when that failed…

Thank goodness for that, something for you to worry about and condemn.
I've not condemned anything and is rather an emotive word. I've tried to (and clearly failed) to enlighten you into not accepting whatever you read at face value viz that .gov report you keep quoting.

I agree with you, I do have concerns about what would happen if the internet stopped working for any length of time. Let's hope that, like her, Putin has an Amazon addiction too.
Fat fingers is a separate issue from the status of the internet (and yes, I do know that the internet has to be working for fat fngers to have any effect .....sigh)

Neither am I a Luddite since I was working with microprocessors long before some of you were born.

Here's a question that relates to offstreet parking. Take a look at the middle house in this picture. Leaving aside the obvious issue of those steps and so just assume that they weren't there. Could you get your car onto that front garden to park it ? It measures 7.5m wide x 3.6m deep (ie pavement to house front)
parking space.jpg

I've not condemned anything and is rather an emotive word. I've tried to (and clearly failed) to enlighten you into not accepting whatever you read at face value viz that .gov report you keep quoting.
Thats just it, I dont, there are many reports out there that reach similar conclusions. There are people like yourself the seem hell bent on discrediting anything thats out there. Ok so there is a difference in the report in total number of properties, it's still highly likely that the proportions in the non included housing stock will be the same. So rather than the epic fail you seem to wish to believe, it's not it's a decent representation of the situation. Even if the missing number were all housing stock with no off road parking, my statement of the majority do have offroad parking would still be true.
I'm sure other members of this thread will be pretty fed up of our stalemate on this point and I will therefore not take up anything further from you about the validity of the reports I cited, there are many more out there freely available with a quick google search.

J

Because the average Aussie drives 12.1k kilometres a year according to the ABS results in one of the slightly under 20 million registered vehicles in Australia, of which 14.7 million or 75% are privately owned passenger vehicles...

Given that there are 52 weeks in a year, thats 230km a week- and remembering thats the average, half of them are doing less (these being the ones in the inner city with good access to public transport, and limited parking (both at home and at work) are unlikely to use a car much at all (I know I didn't when I lived in inner Sydney lol)

The Atto I am looking at has a 400km range, so thats almost TWO weeks between recharges... (and takes 35 minutes for a complete 'empty to full' recharge on a suitable fast charger)

Figures from the ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) which does the census here in Australia

Here's a question that relates to offstreet parking. Take a look at the middle house in this picture. Leaving aside the obvious issue of those steps and so just assume that they weren't there. Could you get your car onto that front garden to park it ? It measures 7.5m wide x 3.6m deep (ie pavement to house front)
View attachment 189043
Yep, and both motorbikes,
1727518044376.png

Because the average Aussie drives 12.1k kilometres a year according to the ABS results in one of the slightly under 20 million registered vehicles in Australia, of which 14.7 million or 75% are privately owned passenger vehicles...

Given that there are 52 weeks in a year, thats 230km a week- and remembering thats the average, half of them are doing less (these being the ones in the inner city with good access to public transport, and limited parking (both at home and at work) are unlikely to use a car much at all (I know I didn't when I lived in inner Sydney lol)

The Atto I am looking at has a 400km range, so thats almost TWO weeks between recharges... (and takes 35 minutes for a complete 'empty to full' recharge on a suitable fast charger)

Figures from the ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) which does the census here in Australia
Beware statistics. There is a distinct hockey stick curve on mileage by vehicles with more than half driving less than the average and a smaller number driving many multiples of the average.

So just good old mechanical failure to worry about. My main car is a 300Tdi defender 110. It has a single electrical component in the entire drive chain, the fuel solenoid, ironically I had to get towed home on one occasion when that failed…
We used to just take the plunger out of the solenoid if it failed. Just start the car as normal but you have to stall it to stop it. Lots of LR TDI engines running like that in various parts of Africa...........:)

View attachment 189043
Bloody mansions compared to the terrace houses I lived in in Sydney- HUGE!!! (hell the footpaths nearly the same size as what you had to drive down between the parked cars!!!)
1727518335577.png

And yes- that center house (I am assuming you mean with the dark brown fence- most certainly could park a smaller car in their front garden- they'd lose most of it, but most smaller EVs (excluding US monsters like the F150 Lightning lol) would comfortably be able to be parked in there...
(The Atto I am looking at is 4.455m from nose to tail, and is the 'larger' SUV style body, its smaller cousin the Dolphin 'hatchback' is 4.29m- even allowing for the 'google distortion' from the 360 lens, that garden appears more than deep enough and wide enough to accommodate either...)

Hell, you could even keep much of the grass- put in the 'twin concrete strips' style driveway I had at a former place, fit some gates, and a curb cutout from the council and yes, they have a place for parking (and charging) the car...
1727518249988.png

This- yes
1727519060992.png

This- not so much so...
1727519189173.png

Latest posts

Back