Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In other BEV news we'll hear what future the Vauxhall plants at Ellesmere Port and Luton have, or haven't, in the next few weeks as Stellantis consider if the UK's ZEV mandate is realistic.
That will be a really stupid Labour gov then, making us close our plants before the EU EV switch over deadline!🤣

That will be a really stupid Labour gov then, making us close our plants before the EU EV switch over deadline!🤣
It was a Tory move towards end of last year some time and now seemingly continued by Labour. I don't recall all the figures but I think for this year manufacturers have to SELL 22% of their stock as BEVs. Next year it goes to 28% and so forth to 100% in 2035.
SELL is the operative word rather than manufacture or produce. Of course the problem is if the market isn't buying the applicable amount of product why would the manufacturers make product that won't sell? The other issue is that there is a fine (£15 grand I think) per BEV car that is not sold so it'll be a case of losing cost and profit as well as a fine. I think manufacturers can swap and borrow their ZEV vouchers amongst one and other but still not an answer to basically throwing money, twice, in the ditch. Makes little sense to me.
Other markets have similar mandates but most have adjusted them, to include Hybrid etc and many have financial subsidies to tempt buyers.

Back