Your favourite thing you have made from reclaimed timber 🤔 📸

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we have some pictures of the ships please, the one we can see looks really good.
Thanks Fergie, will do ASAP, but suffering from a virus at mo. "Keep 'em Peeled" or "Watch this space". It's a French 75 gunner, 50% scratch built, waiting to have the yards and sails fitted.

Stuart

Managed these: Spanish 75; the Nina; French 75; & USS Constitution.

Attachments

• IMG_5141.JPG
    IMG_5141.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5591.JPG
    IMG_5591.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5593.JPG
    IMG_5593.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5596.JPG
    IMG_5596.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4741.JPG
    IMG_4741.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Beautiful work Stuart. What thickness of wood is the hull planking and what species I just love to see miniature workmanship it's a credit to you 👏👏👏
Thanks 'Thingy', first planking is 1.5 mm bass wood, second is 1.0mm walnut. The decking is 1mm maple & tanganyika. I use some pear wood to replace grotty stuff in the kits. It's an old hobby started in '83, then set aside for 3 decades, along came model railroading & full size carpentry (hobby). Eventually, my legs called, 'enough' to climbing loft ladders, so the railroad got the 'Beeching Chop', which funded the 'Model Shipyard', & the full-size carpentry became too much. Only drawback with ship models; "Where to put them?" The present one is the penultimate, with a 1:72 scale HMS Victory as my final one (all being well!). If time, I 'has' 3 completed hulls awaiting masts & rigging.

As with both our hobbies /pastimes the graining is detrimental finding pieces of wood with the finest of grain , yours must be harder at that scale . I get given a lot of wood now the daughters boyfriend is a joiner he gave me an offcut of very fine grained Meranti it measured 400x200x50 like some one had said to me here's a forest as it will be sawn in 1mm,2mm,3mmand 4mm planks to make miniature furniture , fantastic find for bass wood was IKEA slatted blinds 2.5 mm thick 40mm wide if you know anyone getting rid of any run mine through roller sanders to remove finish I also get a great amount of point 6mm ply in 1mt lengths up to 75 mm wide that would normally be thrown in a skip from a Lazer cutting print firm pitty you weren't closer

I posted this up a few years ago - but it's still my favourite piece.

I found these old fire doors and desk legs and runners in a skip.

skip.jpg start.jpg

Took 6 months of weekend woodworking to make my desk.

20200607_155504.jpg finished-1.jpg

finished-2.jpg finished-3.jpg

And in the last month made a simple set of desktop speakers from the same firedoors (with purchased zebrano for the fronts).

167129-20240811-163628w.jpg 167127-20240811-162038w.jpg

As with both our hobbies /pastimes the graining is detrimental finding pieces of wood with the finest of grain , yours must be harder at that scale . I get given a lot of wood now the daughters boyfriend is a joiner he gave me an offcut of very fine grained Meranti it measured 400x200x50 like some one had said to me here's a forest as it will be sawn in 1mm,2mm,3mmand 4mm planks to make miniature furniture , fantastic find for bass wood was IKEA slatted blinds 2.5 mm thick 40mm wide if you know anyone getting rid of any run mine through roller sanders to remove finish I also get a great amount of point 6mm ply in 1mt lengths up to 75 mm wide that would normally be thrown in a skip from a Lazer cutting print firm pitty you weren't closer
Thanks for the 'idea of ikea!' I have got a small stock of box, pear, maple & walnut, all selected by best price from ebay sellers, before everything went south. Plenty to keep me going - I hope! I've got some 0.6 maple veneer, which is good for decking - model ship's, that is, before the 'comedians' reply :D ! It's cut easily using a simple jig, Maun safety rule, & scalpel.

Managed these: Spanish 75; the Nina; French 75; & USS Constitution.
They are amazing. If you need or want to replace the black pieces with Ebony give me a shout. I always have 50mmx50mm short pieces on offer. Some 300 or 500-year-old (I can't tell which is which though) oak offcuts too.

Last edited:
Plant stand made from some more of the 300 or 500-year-old oak floorboards.

New Phototastic Collage.jpg

And some more stands made from reclaimed Teak lookie-likey decking. The Oak sideboard behind is mainly Mom's old folding table and veneered ply. The blue glass inserts were given to me by a late friend Paul who was killed along with his wife on his boat in Florida when a storm hit the coast about ten years back.

P1060449.jpg

Lumber was in a room in basement at his house, due to the history etc. of when the house was built , mid 1800s and the owner at that time ran a lumber mill. Luckily we were shifting stuff to renovate said room and found the lumber.

They are amazing. If you need or want to replace the black pieces with Ebony give me a shout. I always have 50mmx50mm short pieces on offer. Some 300 or 500-year-old (I can't tell which is which though) oak offcuts too.
Thank you very much, & for the offer, which I shall bear in mind.

Stuart

Latest posts

Back