What tree is this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't hurt to keep a couple of pieces for turning later, especially if you can get some spalting going in it šŸ˜‰.
View attachment 188356View attachment 188357
Very nice looking bowls - if I was to keep some how would I process it . Would it be suitable for making boxes ? Should I Leave it in trunks , or rip it into 1ā€ pieces ? Store it inside or outside ? Etc etc ,

To be fair most smart phones can search from a photo, requires a little more effort but one less app to download.
To be even fairer, the app is quick to download and use, takes little effort, is free and no matter how good you are at searching, I doubt you could match its speed and accuracy.
The RHS app is just as good but it's not free, past its trial period.

Don't leave twigs of it anywhere, they'll take root.
I can still see two farmers putting up a fence about 65/70 years ago, where they used a willow post. That post turned into a tree as the years went by.
In my youth when eeling, I'd cut a willow branch 'Y' shaped for a rod rest, these were usually left behind still stuck in the river bank, to eventually become more trees.
NOT to be planted near a garden pond - the leaves contain aspirin - harmful to fish.

I agree on willow, can't quite tell which species of willow though, there are several. It can be as difficult as cherry to stop from cracking/splitting and generally has a plain grain, however the stuff I have contains a blue like colouration in the spalting.
Weeping willow, I'm sure as that is what it will do having been cut down! šŸ˜­

Weeping willow, I'm sure as that is what it will do having been cut down! šŸ˜­
I had no idea that willow branches could do this ,, many many years ago I was working with a elderly chap helping him with his garden - he wanted to extend a privet hedge - where do we buy the hedge from I asked him? He replied when we have cut the existing hedge we will just stick the big off Edit as phone froze ā€¦ off cuts back into the ground and the hedge will grow .. no chance i scoffed but sure enough a few months later it was thriving. He called me over to show me our work . Iā€™ve had an healthy respect for the elderly ever since ..

Very nice looking bowls - if I was to keep some how would I process it . Would it be suitable for making boxes ? Should I Leave it in trunks , or rip it into 1ā€ pieces ? Store it inside or outside ? Etc etc ,
Seal with PVA as quickly as you can after cutting, you can then either leave whole or or remove the pith straight away, if I can lift them I leave whole, if not I split and remove the pith to make moving them easier. I don't know what the wood is like for woodworking but it's OK for turning, the few bits I have left will likely be used up for Xmas decorations to sell at the shop.

Seal with PVA as quickly as you can after cutting, you can then either leave whole or or remove the pith straight away, if I can lift them I leave whole, if not I split and remove the pith to make moving them easier. I don't know what the wood is like for woodworking but it's OK for turning, the few bits I have left will likely be used up for Xmas decorations to sell at the shop.
So with out me sounding a bit on the dumb side -why remove the pith ?

I have to admit if thereā€™s an app for free I donā€™t mint it at all, I could do with one for keeping my x in check but they arenā€™t any legal ones šŸ«£šŸ«£šŸ«£
A lot of the free plant ID apps are not accurate , if it can't ID a flower it will say it's from such and such family and Genus.
But the more accurate ones will cost you $.

For future reference, there is an app ,which you can get for free, that identifies plants pretty accurately. It's called Plantnet. You take a picture of the leaves or flowers and the app finds a match.
Thanks! I needed something like this! I downloaded it. Can't wait to try it on some of the local trees.

Back