Tree removal, which type of drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hah...that's a baby one:) The one our guy brought (complete with team of four...we were felling a lot of trees, true) was tracked. It made short work of some very large stumps.
True enough, I’ve seen a few that are tracked and they sure make short work of stumps but they are fine if you have a goal post sized gateway to drive it through. It’s not got a gearbox either so you end up doing a full workout-I’m sure my arms were stretched at the end of a weekend 😩😩😩

True enough, I’ve seen a few that are tracked and they sure make short work of stumps but they are fine if you have a goal post sized gateway to drive it through. It’s not got a gearbox either so you end up doing a full workout-I’m sure my arms were stretched at the end of a weekend 😩😩😩
This one would go through a metre wide gap. Very handy.

All done. Working with my neighbour, from both sides!
Apologies to whoever, the reciprocating saw (10" blade) was of use, hate the vibration.
Last roots well hidden, stump up against an old wooden post hole concrete!
Thanks for the help.
done.jpg

removed a stump earlier this year, used a mini chainsaw and the the final roots with a compass saw which worked surprisingly well.

Using a drill to cut through a tree seems a very difficult way of doing things!
Back in the auld daze, tree fellers would occasionally drill multiple holes through the trunk of a tree at the height they intended to cut it before getting out the crosscut saw, making room for sawdust. There's a state park up in the mountains from us, where the Sequoia trees grow (giant, long-lived trees), with a stump a good twenty feet across from a tree that was cut down in the early 20th century, long before the park existed. Next to it is the remnant of the trunk, left behind for some reason. You can see the tracks of the holes bored through; looks like giant wood-boring beetles were at work for ages. The stump itself was leveled off and used for a dance floor!

I'd consider a long spade bit and a 1/2" drill with a side or top handle to preserve your wrists from snapping off if it gets stuck. The bit itself is probably something you'll sacrifice to the project; but, at least in the U.S., spade bits are pretty cheap. And they're easy to regrind. Regardless, it'll be a workout.

Sounds like dynamite's not an option.

I'm too late to the party as you've got it out, well done.

I had to take out 14 large very old, iron hard hawthorn trees and overgrown blackthorn that was a good 3m tall and the only successful way to get them out on my own was a combination of reciprocating saw and a heavy SDS corded drill with a sharpened 30mm chisel and set on hammer/chisel. Drilling was impossible. I have a mattock that just bounced off the roots even though I had an angle grinder there to keep sharpening. I couldn't pull them over on my own though did get some movement using each tree to anchor to as I progressed. Managed but took me a week and with hindsight I should have hired a stump grinder or excavator.

I have a hawthorn to take out of the front garden and I'll be pulling it over after chopping the side roots, with a thick rope tied to the towbar on my car.

The only plus is that both species turn very well on the lathe.

with a thick rope tied to the towbar on my car.
I've used a tirfor type winch in the past, once, I tied it to another tree, only trouble was, it pulled the good tree down before the stump came out, next option was the Landy, low gear, all wheel drive, that got it.

I've used a tirfor type winch in the past, once, I tied it to another tree, only trouble was, it pulled the good tree down before the stump came out, next option was the Landy, low gear, all wheel drive, that got it.
Mine is an AWD but never as solid as an old Landy. Our drive is gravel so I expect the wheels won't grip anyway.

Back