Veneer edges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crocks

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve been asked to tidy up the edges on a few side tables where they have come unstuck or been damaged or both. There is some moulding which I can’t deal with so I’m going to jig up a straight cut on my bandsaw. The trouble I have is that there’s not a mark or manufacturer on any of the tables.
What is the correct veneer? It looks very oak like but light. If anyone has an opinion on the right edge banding I’d appreciate it. N.B. I know it’s a plastic mould over chipboard. IMG_4780.jpegIMG_4779.jpegIMG_4781.jpeg

As you said, that is not a veneer!

Its known in the furniture trade as "Vinyl Wrapped", which is technically a vinyl plastic wrap that is applied and stuck under heat & pressure and shrinks into all the detail to give the required finish.

Once the adhesive let's go, its virtually impossible to re stick it successfully.

Even if you could find a very near match to that colour of vinyl/ edging tape, the chances of machining the edges of that table clean enough with a bandsaw, and then be able to apply a new edging, are very slim indeed.....

The vinyl becomes very brittle with age and is most likely to chip.......If you really want to attempt to machine the edge off, your best bet would be to use a router and round template.

Good Luck!🤞🤞

Tim.

Edit.
It looks more like a Maple or Birch vinyl wrap to me...?

Last edited:

Its known in the furniture trade as "Vinyl Wrapped", which is technically a vinyl plastic wrap that is applied and stuck under heat & pressure and shrinks into all the detail to give the required finish.

Once the adhesive let's go, its virtually impossible to re stick it successfully.

Even if you could find a very near match to that colour of vinyl/ edging tape, the chances of machining the edges of that table clean enough with a bandsaw, and then be able to apply a new edging, are very slim indeed.....

The vinyl becomes very brittle with age and is most likely to chip.......If you really want to attempt to machine the edge off, your best bet would be to use a router and round template.

Good Luck!🤞🤞

Tim.

Edit.
Exactly, I was asked to look at some wardrobe doors which had gone all over but particularly on the edges, I don’t like to say no to people but they were beyond repair.
The problem you have also is that once they start to become unstuck it won’t stop there.
Ian

It also falls in that " too risky to attempt " category. One always wants to try and help the customer out, but if you can't do a seamless repair that ties in with the blemish free surface,, characteristic of modern furniture , then you could easily find yourself with an unhappy customer - and, be out of pocket.

maple I'd say

It's beech ;)

@OP

You can buy foils. They're available for renovating kitchens, and you buy it by the meter.
Was looking at it the other day and bookmarked a company.

They call them 'wraps' but i dont know if its a special product and different from foils, or if its the same thing., or effectively the same as good old Blue Peter sticky backed plastic. But either way to rewrap something like that table you might need a vacuum system

https://kitchen-wraps.co.uk/product-category/door-drawer-wraps/

I would approach this in a rather more positive way. I would say to the owner that recreating the present finish is impossible, at least for me it is. However if you could accept something different but in keeping, I might be able to do something that will keep them going for a few more years.
That something would be to strip of the vertical edge with a straight router cutter (suitably jigged) down to clean chipboard. Then apply a matching vertical grained veneer (I think it's supposed to be maple). Trim off to the existing moulding and apply an epoxy finish to seal it all in.
I would suggest doing a small example to get thier approval.
You could also offer a painted finish to be applied after cleaning up and sealing the chipboard. The colour might be taken from a cue in the host room.
Food for thought.
Brian

Last edited:
Potentially, you could strip all the vinyl wrap off completely from the top, re machine the edge profile so that it's just a vertical edge and apply a matching vinyl to both the top & edge.

Alternatively, you may be able to strip it all off and paint the top & edge a contrasting colour but bare chipboard is a b u g g e r to paint, and you would need to clean ensure you have cleaned off any residual vinyl adhesive to ensure a good paint finish & bond.

Edit.
A good few years ago, there was a popular colour that was often used for fitted Bedroom furniture, cabinets & accessories and from memory, it looks very similar to the OP's pictures.......It was called " Swiss Pear".....

Last edited:
Impossible to patch/repair. A very effective way to rejuvenate a vinyl wrap kitchen is to strip back to the mdf and spray a paint finish. The root cause of the problem is the proximity to what must regularly be a 'hot' radiator. Similar to kitchen wall cupboard doors above a toaster or kettle.

Good Luck!🤞🤞

Tim.

Edit.
That’s very helpful thank you

Latest posts

Back