Thoughts on new general joinery job

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
Just started a general joinery job which:-

It's quite varied I don't know what I'll be doing each week. (I'm just doing 2 days)

It's slot of batch work.

It's very dusty it's in a barn and the dx isn't great tbh. I'll get a mask for Thursday.

Also noisy with DX and table saw.

It's very relaxed make a cuppa when you like, fire going in the corner.

Flex time. And good job security most have been there 20+yes.

Good for you !
A relaxed environment is nice.
Noise sneaks up on you so as an when you can, look at those 3m peltor ear protectors that have a microphone and bluetooth or a radio built in. They'll take care of your hearing and still leave you aware of what's going on around you. They aren't cheap but hearing is important and I was persuaded after chatting to a 3m rep at one of the toolfair shows. There are lots of versions.

Sounds like a good move James, might be worth casually looking to see if any hoses are leaking or dropped off but you might not make friends being over zealous as a new guy.
Ian

Just started a general joinery job which:-

It's quite varied I don't know what I'll be doing each week. (I'm just doing 2 days)

It's slot of batch work.

It's very dusty it's in a barn and the dx isn't great tbh. I'll get a mask for Thursday.

Also noisy with DX and table saw.

It's very relaxed make a cuppa when you like, fire going in the corner.

Flex time. And good job security most have been there 20+yes.

Hey, sounds like you’ve landed in a solid spot! That flexibility and job security is gold, especially in this line of work. If you’re only doing two days a week, it gives you a good balance to ease into the batch work without burning out.

As for the dust and noise—yeah, mate, a good mask is a must. I’ve been in places like that before, and it’s easy to let it slide, but you don’t want to be breathing that stuff in all day. And if the DX is a bit weak, maybe bring it up with the boss? If they’ve been around for 20+ years, they should know the importance of good dust extraction for everyone's lungs.

That fire in the corner sounds like a winner though, aye! Nothing beats a warm cuppa by the fire after a dusty morning. Keep your head down, enjoy the relaxed vibe, and make sure you’re looking after your gear—especially your ears and lungs. The work might be noisy and dusty, but that doesn’t mean you have to suffer for it!

Good for you !
A relaxed environment is nice.
Noise sneaks up on you so as an when you can, look at those 3m peltor ear protectors that have a microphone and bluetooth or a radio built in. They'll take care of your hearing and still leave you aware of what's going on around you. They aren't cheap but hearing is important and I was persuaded after chatting to a 3m rep at one of the toolfair shows. There are lots of versions.
Definitely look after the ears, once it's gone it's gone. Wish I had years ago.

Latest posts

Back