THE FOURTH OF JULY

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true

No they aren’t - it’s Brexit propaganda
Exports to EU in ££ were higher in 2022 than pre pandemic in 2019 - although when taking account of inflation over the 3 year period there is probably little change.

Care is needed in analysing these figures as they are swamped with detail - eg: including or excluding precious metals, investment separate from day to day transactions, split between services an manufactured goods etc.

A detailed analysis may find the high level of exports in 2022 included a significant catch up from pandemic impacted levels in 2020 and 2021, possibly matched by changes in imports.

Brexit propaganda - an empty assertion. Data produced by ONS is calculated consistently and often in accord with internationally agreed standards and definitions. A very clear link to alternative sources of data with their provenance is needed to make me think otherwise.

What's this 'Reform' lot & what are they wanting to 're-form'??????????
I thought the 'Reformation' happened several centurys ago!

Reactions: Ozi
I wonder how long before the scottish realise what they have done in surrending all power to westminster by getting rid of the SNP, there so called devolved government will become just a puppet regime at the beck and call of westminster.
Huh?

The devolved Scottish Government hasn't surrendered any of its wide-ranging devolved powers 'to Westminster' as a consequence of the General Election:

Powers of the Scottish Parliament:

All matters that aren't specifically stated in Schedule 5 to the Scotland Act as reserved matters are automatically devolved to the Scottish Parliament.[87] The Scottish Parliament has powers over areas such as:

agriculture, fisheries, animal welfare, and forestry
environment, land registration and use
food safety and food standards
consumer advocacy and advice
water and sanitation
the Crown Estate
economic development and inward investment
income tax on non-savings and non-dividend income
issue of Scottish Government bonds to finance capital investment
Council Tax, Business rates, Air Departure Tax, Land and Buildings Transaction Tax and Scottish Landfill Tax
education (early, primary, secondary and tertiary) and training
Scots language and Gaelic language
health and social care
abortion law
legal system, human rights and legal aid
civil and criminal law
courts and tribunals
legal profession
police and fire and rescue services
prisons and parole
air gun licensing
alcohol licensing
hunting with dogs and dangerous dogs
civil registration, census, demography, statistics, national archives
planning permission
local government
culture, sport, the arts, heritage and tourism
parking controls, bus policy, concessionary fares, cycling, taxis and minicabs
railway services, franchising, and construction of new railways
road network, trunk road management, road signs and speed limits
shipping, ports, inland waterways, harbours and ferries
housing, homelessness and building standards
charities
onshore petroleum
heating and cooling
bank holiday
Sunday trading
welfare foods for pregnant women, mothers and children
devolved social security benefits

And you may note that the devolved government has control over many of the key issues which, in England, are also major concerns:

Housing.
Water & sanitation.
Education.
Health.
Police.
Planning permission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott...ament,fisheries, animal welfare, and forestry

Despite having that control, there is no indication that under the SNP, Scotland has performed well. Indeed, in education, health and housing standards have declined:

Education:

Performance in Scotland's high schools has slipped according to new international research on education.

The Pisa report measures education standards among nearly 700,000 15-year-olds worldwide. The report shows a long-term decline in Scotland's performance in reading, maths and science. Within the UK's four devolved education systems, England was the highest achiever in all three subjects.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67580173#:~:text=Performance%20in%20Scotland's%20high%20schools,in%20reading%2C%20maths%20and%20science

Housing:​

Across Scotland people are living in housing that is damp, cold, overcrowded, insecure and unsafe. They're homeless in hostels, temporary accommodation or sofa-surfing In Scotland a household becomes homeless every 16 mins. People might lose their home for any number of reasons, but homelessness isn’t inevitable. A safe home is a fundamental need. We must protect it and fight for it. You can’t solve homelessness without homes. Across the country, there is a chronic shortage of social housing – for decades, successive governments have failed to build enough. This has left millions of people and communities without access to secure, long-term homes with rent they can afford.

https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/campaigning/what_causes_homelessness

Health:
The biggest public health challenge facing Scotland is the stall in life expectancy. Life expectancy has stalled across all socio-economic groups and in our poorest areas it has actually decreased.

https://www.healthscotland.scot/our...lth challenge,areas it has actually decreased

Questions have been raised about the future of a free NHS in Scotland as a major review paints a picture of a struggling service that is failing patients.

Andrew Elder, president of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh, responded to a report from Audit Scotland by saying it is now legitimate to ask if Scotland “can afford to provide every treatment available, free of charge and at the point of access. If we cannot—which is plausible given the huge increases in medical treatments available—how should we decide what we can provide?” He called for a national conversation to be held in which the public would be asked to decide on the future direction of the service, a move backed by BMA Scotland.

https://www.bmj.com/content/384/bmj.q476.full

The SNP is(was) a 'one-trick pony', obsessed with another referendum to gain independence from the rest of the UK. Presumably on the belief that they could then join the EU. Drifting into the realms of fantasy, let's assume for a moment that there was a referendum, and let's assume that the result was to gain independence. As part of the British Isles (rather than the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland), they would incur some ongoing costs on matters such as defence. If they applied to join the EU, it would require the approval of all 27 EU member states, and on the terms dictated by the EU, which would doubtless include accepting the Euro.

And some of the things that they presently control, they would surrender to the EU. (Food standards and food safety for example).
In partly extricating itself from Westminster, an 'independent' Scotland would instead be governed by Brussels and Strasburg.

Scotland's population is 5.5 million - about 8% of the UK as a whole. Were it ever to be accepted into the EU, it would be just 1% of the EU population, on a par with Finland, Slovakia and Ireland. The population of Germany, France, Spain and Italy amounts to 229 million - just over 50% of the total EU population. Do the diminishing number of SNP members really believe that however shouty they are, their voices would be heard in Brussels & Strasburg?

And have they considered the consequences of a border between England and Scotland? (Europe). Imports/exports, GB Pound v Euro?

That's more than enough to make the point.

Reactions: Ozi
Wasn't it a labour Welsh doing the 20mph thing?
Yes. And if it saves kids' lives and money, it's a good thing, even if it is a bit irksome still doing 20 after you've left a town and it's another few hundred yards til you can speed up. But they're reviewing these things (where it works, where it doesn't) - a review that was in the original plan.

Brexit propaganda - an empty assertion. Data produced by ONS is calculated consistently and often in accord with internationally agreed standards and definitions
It is not an empty assertion

.gov websites are propaganda outlets since Boris Johnson took power in 2019

Brexit trade figures for example…..they dishonestly quote them without adjusting for inflation.

Brexit was a massive con.

So all over for us but the American elections are also in a right state and the outcome there could have bigger consequences for us than our own elections and I suppose at least starmer is not some geriatric whose brain is disolving into his incontenence pants.
That's true... but the comedy is that the brain dissolving comment could apply to either candidate.

Yes. And if it saves kids' lives and money, it's a good thing, even if it is a bit irksome still doing 20 after you've left a town and it's another few hundred yards til you can speed up. But they're reviewing these things (where it works, where it doesn't) - a review that was in the original plan.
Very little evidence it saves lives better to spend the money keeping pedestrians and traffic apart, it also reduces air quality (assuming the same miles driven) what would IMO work better would be giving manufacturers some benefit to fitting and improving the sensor systems that prevent or reduce pedestrian impacts ie this could be a reduction in insurance group if you can show below average involvement in serious or fatal pedestrian impacts.

there is lots of muttering about vote share Ive noticed amongst pundits ...because labour as we know have won a large majority with not many votes

personally I think that is a good thing as that will mean MPs cant be complacent because if they only have a few thousand buffer, they easily lose.

MPs with 25,000 majority can think stuff the electorate
Yes - it's seats that matter - not votes. Two thirds of voters didn't vote Labour.

Quote:

Labour gained 211 seats – but just 1.6 per cent increase in share of the vote

Though pollsters were predicting a large Labour majority in both seats and vote share, Sir Keir Starmer’s party has not managed to move the needle far when it comes to its proportion of national votes overall. Due to lower turnout, Labour won fewer votes at this election, at 9.7 million, compared to 10.3 million in 2019.

Labour’s total vote share sits at 33.8 per cent, a minute increase from 32.2 per cent in 2019, and well below the Tories’ 43.6 per cent in the last election. Nonetheless, Labour has won 412 seats, an increase of 211 from 2019. On the other hand, the Conservative Party has seen crippling losses by both metrics. It has lost 251 seats, and nearly half of its supporters nationwide, with national vote share at just 23.7 per cent (6.8 million votes).

Unquote:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...1&cvid=11a77971682e4778a4267f2c6be761d3&ei=73

There's much I don't like about some of Labour's policies, but I'm pleased they've got an overall majority so for good or ill, will be able to implement policies without relying on the support of other fringe parties, as with a 'hung parliament'. I think that in their desire to get elected, they've under-estimated the costs, and over-estimated the extent to which they can create wealth by 'getting the economy going' rather than by raising taxes. Regardless of which part is in power, it seems to me, given the size of budgets politicians are responsible for, they should be intelligent, articulate, numerate, literate, astute and well educated on subjects such as economics, statistics. and accounting. The sort of people who - if they were in industry or commerce - would be capable of operating at Board level.

Looking at the background and education of those who will take cabinet posts, most are from working class families educated in State schools, yet have gain honours degrees, often from Oxford and Cambridge, so all credit to them. Had those such as Rachell Reeves and Wes Streeting, have not gone into politics, I've no doubt that by now, they'd be in highly paid senior positions in banking, finance, or consultancy.

Rachel Reeves was educated at a comprehensive in Beckenham. While at secondary school she won a British Under-14 girls chess championship title in a tournament organised by the now-defunct British Women's Chess Association. After sitting A-Levels in politics, economics, mathematics and further mathematics she read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at New College Oxford, gaining a BA. She then obtained an MSc in economics from the London School of Economics. Her first job after leaving university was with the Bank of England, then she worked for the retail arm of HBOS. She was interviewed for a job at Goldman Sachs. but turned it down, despite claiming that the job could have made her "a lot richer". (As indeed it would have).

She looks well suited to be Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Wes Streeting's parents were teenagers when he was born. He has five brothers, a sister and a stepsister. His maternal grandfather was an armed robber who spent time in prison. His grandmother became embroiled in his granddad's crimes and ended up in Holloway prison. She was released from prison to give birth to his mother. He grew up in poverty living in a council flat. He attended a comprehensive state school in Victoria, London, where he studied History, Politics, and Religious Studies at A-level, receiving 3 A grades. He went on to study history at Selwyn College, University of Cambridge, gaining a BA. He previously had left the Labour Party because he opposed its decision to enter the Iraq war. He was elected Cambridge University Students Union President for the 2004–05 academic year.

I think he'll do a good job.

The one who impresses me least is Angela Rayner, who ironically is the most senior member, apart from Kier Starmer. Sure, she's confident, assertive, (perhaps a tad bombastic?), and has a lot to say for herself, which is not the same as being articulate. (Delusions of adequacy?). She left school at sixteen with no qualifications and did menial jobs, which didn't call for knowledge or qualifications in statistics, economics, law, accounting, or even English or maths. I'm not really sure how she got where she is, other than as a 'poster girl' for the Corbyn end of the Labour Party spectrum.

I know she threw a hissy fit back in 2021 and went from being sacked to being promoted:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...acking-of-angela-rayner-after-election-losses

Applying the test of: 'outside of politics could she attain a senior role in industry or commerce on anything like the level of Deputy PM?' No - I don't think she could. I guess she is to Starmer what John Prescott was to Tony Blair. That said, I've no doubt that her heart is in the job. I wish her well, and I hope for all our sakes, that along with the rest of them, they get along together, come up to expectations and fulfil the promises they've made.

It will make a change from years of Tories fighting each other like rats in a sack.

But being well-qualified isn't in itself a guarantee of competence of course.

David Lammy qualified as a barrister, went studied at Harvard University where he became the first black Briton to attend Harvard Law School, where he studied for a Masters of Law degree and graduated in 1997. After Harvard, Lammy was employed as an attorney at Howard Rice in California from 1997 to 1998, and with D.J. Freeman from 1998 to 2000. He is a visiting professor of practice at School of Oriental and African Studies. He's to be Foreign Secretary and is more than a little gaffe prone. Not uneducated - just a bit daft.

He's previously called Donald Trump a "neo-Nazi sympathising sociopath". But he has changed his tone in recent months and has said he would find "common cause" with the de-facto Republican nominee for president. In a speech last week at a Republican think tank in Washington, Lammy said Mr Trump was "often misunderstood" over his commitment to European security.

But Labour's London Mayor Sadiq Khan said in an interview this week that Mr Trump was "not misunderstood", adding: "He's a racist. He's a sexist. He's a homophobe. "And it's very important, particularly when you've got a special relationship, that you treat them as a best mate. "If my best mate was a racist, or a sexist or a homophobe, I'd call him out and I'd explain to him why those views are wrong."

Not that Trump would listen of course, even if Lammy had the gumption to say so.

He also criticised Marine Le Pen whose Right Wind National Rally Party leads in the first round of voting in France's national elections, saying she's 'malevolent and toxic'. Before too long, he might be having to suck up to her as well a Trump.

In February 2019, Lammy criticised Stacy Dooley for photographs she posted on social media of her trip to Uganda for Comic Relief, and said that "the world does not need any more white saviours", and that she was "perpetuating 'tired and unhelpful stereotypes' about Africa". The donations received for the Red Nose Day broadcast in March 2019 fell by £8 million and the money raised that year was the lowest since 2007, which some have blamed on Lammy's remarks.

The most bizarre utterance by Lammy is that ‘a man can grow a cervix’. How can anyone reach the age of 52 and know so little about male/female anatomy?

https://x.com/LBC/status/1443125834...htHhZy7tNkTQ9VDatw42kmnR0qGZv8thQpKWHiLrVhtGY

You couldn't make it up.

Quote from the genius Braverman (on choosing a new leader), "We’ve just got to take our time, we’ve got to figure out what the situation is".

I think the situation is that breathtakingly incompetent morons (such as yourself Suella) drove the Conservative party into a ditch and liberally covered yourselves in filth.

One Tory has already called for Farage to be invited to join the party. These clowns just don't learn do they.

I suspect few, of the seniors anyway, will be honest enough to admit that it was sleaze and incompetence that brought about their downfall.
I did have to grin at Sunak apologising to the party members, the very same people who selected Truss.
Never in the history of British politics can so much damage have been done in so short a time as by her buffoonery. She made Boris look positively sensible by comparison.
I think the lid was on the Tory coffin from that point onwards, betting and other shenanigans made sure it was firmly nailed down.

Quote from the genius Braverman (on choosing a new leader), "We’ve just got to take our time, we’ve got to figure out what the situation is".

I think the situation is that breathtakingly incompetent morons (such as yourself Suella) drove the Conservative party into a ditch and liberally covered yourselves in filth.

One Tory has already called for Farage to be invited to join the party. These clowns just don't learn do they.
I think there is a cycle that the Conservative party goes through which leads them to self destruct.

Boris was perhaps in some ways an aberration but the culture he created allowed sleaze to surpass what we saw at the closing stages of the John Major era.

My sense if that Starmer is quite clear about the culture he wants to create and it won’t be one that is tolerant of sleaze. I didn’t vote for his party but I respect that.

Boris was perhaps in some ways an aberration but the culture he created allowed sleaze to surpass what we saw at the closing stages of the John Major era.
And it was his approach to brexit and his subsequent 'political' shenanigans that really opened the door to populist politics and thus Reform.

And it was his approach to brexit and his subsequent 'political' shenanigans that really opened the door to populist politics and thus Reform.
Boris was the Tory hero. He won the Brexit referendum, a large majority in 2019, and got Brexit done in 2020. A very capable communicator using (as all politicians do) exaggeration, half truths, selective statistics to good effect. Some call it lying!

He was also a hugely flawed individual - party-gate was foolish arrogance, outright lies completely unacceptable. He split the Tory party - traditional centre right from the more extreme right who had come to believe that arrogance created success and won elections.

So when Boris was rightly fired the contest was on. Truss was supported by the Boris fan club who blamed Rishi for his departure. Sadly she won - incompetent, untrustworthy and a failure with none of the charm and communication skills possessed of Boris.

Rishi was on a hiding to nothing. Emergence of Reform supported by the Tory right made election loss a certainty.

Boris was the Tory hero. He won the Brexit referendum, a large majority in 2019, and got Brexit done in 2020. A very capable communicator using (as all politicians do) exaggeration, half truths, selective statistics to good effect. Some call it lying!

He was also a hugely flawed individual - party-gate was foolish arrogance, outright lies completely unacceptable. He split the Tory party - traditional centre right from the more extreme right who had come to believe that arrogance created success and won elections.

So when Boris was rightly fired the contest was on. Truss was supported by the Boris fan club who blamed Rishi for his departure. Sadly she won - incompetent, untrustworthy and a failure with none of the charm and communication skills possessed of Boris.

Rishi was on a hiding to nothing. Emergence of Reform supported by the Tory right made election loss a certainty.
All true I think, but my point was more about the general contribution he made to down-grading our politics and the rise of populism.

Yes - it's seats that matter - not votes. Two thirds of voters didn't vote Labour.
And they call it democratic !

How can a system be democratic and represent the population if someone wins a seat for 18,000 votes yet the other gets 17,500 . Then what about the other 30,000 who did not vote and you soon get someone winning that the majority did not really want.

My sense if that Starmer is quite clear about the culture he wants to create
The problem is that it might help with peoples opinions of politics and westminster but it is hard actions that will count.

Boris was the Tory hero. He won the Brexit referendum, a large majority in 2019, and got Brexit done in 2020.
Which bit did he get done in 2020?

Johnson is a career liar and should never have been anywhere the leadership of his party. Those who put him there knew this, but they also knew his clownishness would be an electoral asset. For that reason alone I'd be happy to see the demise of the Tory party; as they firmly put themselves in front of the country, and even (in the long term) their own party.

He'll be right at home back on the opposition back benches where he can whinge and moan to his heart's content without having any actual responsibility for making anything of actual consequence happen.
I think he would have made a good PM, he certainly would not have been as bad as the psychopathic liar Boris Johnson. Interesting to note that Corbyn polled more votes than Starmer in their respective elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back