THE FOURTH OF JULY

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But not with a high number of voters, many seats they won are marginal and are not safe seats and we had a very low turnout because people do not have any confidence in our politicians or political system. Yes labour are going to make " Change" but the question is will it be a positive or negative change because they still have no money and are not saying how they intend to finance there ideas which causes instability in the Uk finance markets.

That is the worrying bit, a lot of talk and ideas but nothing on how they will actually deliver or fund. The only things that are coming out is to empty the prisons of all small time criminals, scrap the planing rules so the property developers can become even richer and just concrete over the countryside avoiding the windfarms that will also pop up everywhere and then go after people who are incapable of working through medical issues whilst ignoring those who can work but choose not to.

If he needed any involvment with deliveroo then he would just buy the business with petty cash and own it, he does not need to work to have a lifestyle 95% of the UK can only dream of.
“Well, at any rate there’s no Humbug here. We haven’t let anyone take us in. The Dwarfs are for the Dwarfs.”

C S Lewis: The Last Battle.

So you and labour are now undermining the judiciary?
You think an ex-director of public prosecutions would undermine the judiciary ? that's just silly.
Prisoners have always been able to be released before the end of term on parole or licence. Changing when that becomes possible is just a sensible way of trying to deal with the crisis of over crowding.
Worth considering that it was tory cuts to the legal system and lack of investment in the prison service that have caused this crisis. Of course there's also the fact the tories acted illegally proroguing parliament, so they aren't in any position to lecture of the adherence of law.

You think an ex-director of public prosecutions would undermine the judiciary ? that's just silly.
Prisoners have always been able to be released before the end of term on parole or licence. Changing when that becomes possible is just a sensible way of trying to deal with the crisis of over crowding.
Worth considering that it was tory cuts to the legal system and lack of investment in the prison service that have caused this crisis. Of course there's also the fact the tories acted illegally proroguing parliament, so they aren't in any position to lecture of the adherence of law.
And I seem to remember that 'breaking the law in a limited and specific way' was acceptable under the tories?

I for one, recommend Larry the Chief Mouser for PM as he's spent more years at no.10 than anyone else. At least he's not going to be a 'Pension Grabbing Merchant Banker' like what's his name (whom ever he thinks he is) threatens to be.

Now we have a Labour Government, should we start a Poll on when the first National Strikes will start and by who?

They need to resolve the existing ones first like the junior doctors who will now have the upper hand so the outcome will be interesting, it is a no win really because if they fail to solve it then people will say you cannot do any better than the conservatives but if they give them a good deal then others will be lining up for good deals and yes we could well end up with more strikes.

Also, the judiciary were increasingly constrained in their sentencing decisions by the Tory governments imposing minimum sentences for all sorts of things, and then failing to pay for the prison places required to fulfil those policies. Part of their legacy of shocking incompetence of policy delivery (whether one agrees with the policy or not).

but if they give them a good deal then others will be lining up for good deals and yes we could well end up with more strikes.
I think that the junior doctors situation is unique, well understood and there's a huge amount of public sympathy and support for them.
A decent pay deal is long overdue. It I can't see that alone leading to 'copy cat' strikes anywhere.

So you and labour are now undermining the judiciary? I would have though that type of thing was the only reserved for ‘far right fanatics’?
Funny how quickly the tables turn.

I politely disagree with your point:

this crisis is a result of 40% cuts to the Ministry of Justice budget -policy by the previous govt

May I also point out that the Conservative party have already been releasing prisoners early:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-criminal-justice-system-is-on-the-brink-of-collapse/

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rmer-labour-prison-sentences-uk-politics-live

Also the Conservative government asked judges not to pass custodial sentences:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/government-prisons-alex-chalk-wales-england-b2428161.html

They need to resolve the existing ones first like the junior doctors who will now have the upper hand so the outcome will be interesting, it is a no win really because if they fail to solve it then people will say you cannot do any better than the conservatives but if they give them a good deal then others will be lining up for good deals and yes we could well end up with more strikes.
it is a worry, but the NHS is suffering terrible retention rates

I am sure you would agree an agreement needs to be reached

in the case of strikes....weve had loads of strikes over the last few years anyway

Last edited:
Also, the judiciary were increasingly constrained in their sentencing decisions by the Tory governments imposing minimum sentences for all sorts of things, and then failing to pay for the prison places required to fulfil those policies. Part of their legacy of shocking incompetence of policy delivery (whether one agrees with the policy or not).
Martin Luther King - "justice too long delayed is justice denied". Impacts both those charged who have to deal with extended stress if later judged innocent, and delays closure for the victims.

The current situation is best described as woeful - prisons demand is over 100% of capacity leading to short term inappropriate solutions, delays to trial of up to 2 years.

The pandemic as with NHS waiting lists greatly extended delays - but even without this would still be unacceptably high. What priority Starmer will place upon this vs other equally demanding issues remains to be seen.

Maybe the reason they are making space in our prisons is because they are just letting 100,000 ayslum seekers stay to clear the backlog and from statistics across europe they know many will be involved with crime, many without even knowing they are because of cultural differences.

First example of what happens when there are rumours of corporation tax rises is companies get concerned, looks like Dyson is now cutting the Uk workforce and restructuring in readyness to just bail out completely. This is why it is important for Starmer to show his hand on taxes so we all know whats coming otherwise people make there own minds up.

Maybe the reason they are making space in our prisons is because they are just letting 100,000 ayslum seekers stay to clear the backlog
I hope you don’t mind but I feel this needs correcting.

Conservatives had earmarked around 100,000 to be deported to Rwanda….but there was no capacity for that number, so those people were simply in permanent limbo

Secondly Labour have said they could apply for asylum, which is not “letting them stay”

statistics across europe they know many will be involved with crime
These are people that have been here already for some time….so are they suddenly going to start committing crime if they get asylum?

looks like Dyson is now cutting the Uk workforce and restructuring in readyness to just bail out completely
I can see no evidence that is connected to Labour

James Dyson, the man who campaigned for Brexit, moved his company headquarters to Singapore in 2019.

You do have to wonder what the BBC thought they were doing - it strikes me that Monbiot is completely right, and the damage may be irrevocable. Just makes for 'exciting' news because they're nutters I suppose?

Monbiot.jpg

Conservatives had earmarked around 100,000 to be deported to Rwanda….but there was no capacity for that number, so those people were simply in permanent limbo
The continuing oxymoron that is James "Cleverly" was claiming that Labour had nothing as they were scrapping the Rwanda scheme. Given that the scheme cost millions and achieved precisely zilch, I'd suggest that if Labour deliver absolutely nothing in this regard then they've already done better.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0veqgr7lw4o

Great start to the new Gov!

Begin as you mean to go on!

That's my faith in them sunk!

What sort of PR people advise politicians?!!
"levelling up" was a clever slogan that implied something but meant nothing
so it could be widely used without actually being analysed in any meaningful way

and of course there was never any levelling up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back