THE FOURTH OF JULY

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would rather be represented by people who don't seek to line their pockets at our expense, whatever their political colour, or the scale of such behaviour.
The scale matters massively

you seem to want to make some equivalence between Angela Rayner possibly underpaying her tax by £1500 and £4billion of bogus PPE contracts

or the £200m Michelle Mone took and Yvette Cooper

The reality is the public moan when MPs put up their salaries so we have this situation where a council leader might earn £350k and an MP £85k.

If you dont want MPs to milk expenses then they gotta be paid substantially more

Problem being where do you find an honest hard working politician? I am sure they are out there, but how to spot them?
there are plenty of them, you just need to do the research.

Lots of MPs work extremely hard and believe in doing public service

have a look at Darren Jones

Chris Bryant

Its easy to call all politicians "liars" but social media forces them to talk in terms which avoids them being taken out of context in future

also under FPTP politicans have to speak to the media giving out rather bland statements than can speak to different voters and mean different things

The latest Yougov poll of voting intentions by constituency is saying Lab 45%, Con 30% in Bournemouth East. That is truly remarkable. It would be the first time in 50 years of voting in GEs here in Bournemouth that my candidate wins. I'm finding that hard to believe, and I don't want to tempt fate...

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/issue/Voting_Intention

So do you prefer the likes of Yvette Cooper, who thought it perfectly reasonable for her and her hubby to claim expenses on both their houses, by one saying house A was their main residence, whilst the other made an identical claim on house B.
That's libellous and I would delete it. What they did was both claim expenses on the same London house (but only to the value of a single MP's allowance). Some Tory MP complained that they spent more time in London rather than Yorkshire so the London house should have been their primary residence and not eligible for the allowance. They were cleared.

That's libellous and I would delete it. What they did was both claim expenses on the same London house (but only to the value of a single MP's allowance). Some Tory MP complained that they spent more time in London rather than Yorkshire so the London house should have been their primary residence and not eligible for the allowance. They were cleared.
So why did they pay the money back?

The scale matters massively

you seem to want to make some equivalence between Angela Rayner possibly underpaying her tax by £1500 and £4billion of bogus PPE contracts

or the £200m Michelle Mone took and Yvette Cooper

The reality is the public moan when MPs put up their salaries so we have this situation where a council leader might earn £350k and an MP £85k.

If you dont want MPs to milk expenses then they gotta be paid substantially more

there are plenty of them, you just need to do the research.

Lots of MPs work extremely hard and believe in doing public service

have a look at Darren Jones

Chris Bryant

Its easy to call all politicians "liars" but social media forces them to talk in terms which avoids them being taken out of context in future

also under FPTP politicans have to speak to the media giving out rather bland statements than can speak to different voters and mean different things

If you don't want their hand in the till you have to pay them more? Very insulting to those who found it perfectly possible to make ends meet without resorting to this sort of behaviour, Jeremy Corbyn being a notable example, I am quite sure there are many others. Funny isn't it how left wingers are ready to jump up and down and scream sleaze whenever a Tory does something dishonest, when it's one of their own it becomes a mistake, an oversight or whatever.

Last edited:
I well remember the beasting she got from the audience on Question Time. All she could keep repeating like a cracked record was that it wasn't technically a breach of the rules. The fact that it was plainly immoral seemed to be lost on her entirely. And you think a person with such a clearly deranged moral compass would make a good home secretary??

If you don't want their hand in the till you have to pay them more? Very insulting to those who found it perfectly possible to make ends meet without resorting to this sort of behaviour, Jeremy Corbyn being a notable example, I am quite sure there are many others. Funny isn't it how left wingers are ready to jump up and down and scream sleaze whenever a Tory does something dishonest, when it's one of their own items becomes a mistake, an oversight or whatever.
I did not say I condoned it in any way, I was debating the point you made about honesty in politics

I am guessing you are a tribal Conservative voter as youve brought up something that happened 17 years ago

Funny isn't it how left wingers are ready to jump up and down and scream sleaze whenever a Tory does something dishonest, when it's one of their own items becomes a mistake, an oversight or whatever.
not at all, I dont condone any improper behaviour

but you are glossing over the lack of equivalence between Yvette Cooper + Ed Balls with Conservatives dishing out bogus PPE contracts worth £4b or Michelle Mone £200m

I well remember the beasting she got from the audience on Question Time. All she could keep repeating like a cracked record was that it wasn't technically a breach of the rules. The fact that it was plainly immoral seemed to be lost on her entirely. And you think a person with such a clearly deranged moral compass would make a good home secretary??
Yes

compared to Prit Patel and Suella Braverman absolutely

Really? I thought Starmer was targeting the far-right vote?
Interesting factoid. Farage's total vote in all his 7 failed parliamentary elections (36k) was less than Diane Abbott's in just one, even in 2019 (40k). The far right are totally ******* irrelevant and always have been.
Instead of slagging off individuals why not instead look at what they are all offering? We know they are all R soles but what is more relevant is what they would do in power, if anything.

The far right are totally ******* irrelevant and always have been.
I wish that was true, I really do

Farage was instrumental in brexit

it was UKIP that got Cameron to include the referendum as a manifesto pledge

it was the brexit party that pushed the Tory party to an even harder brexit

since 2019 weve had right populist in power governing by gaslighting, culture wars and ramping up hatred towards foreigners

the ERG faction have been the controlling force through Teresa May, Johnson and Sunak

I wouldnt underestimate the hard right

I did not say I condoned it in any way, I was debating the point you made about honesty in politics

I am guessing you are a tribal Conservative voter as youve brought up something that happened 17 years ago

not at all, I dont condone any improper behaviour

but you are glossing over the lack of equivalence between Yvette Cooper + Ed Balls with Conservatives dishing out bogus PPE contracts worth £4b or Michelle Mone £200m
I am not a tribal anything. I will happily confess to being a conservative, with a small c.
I think the Tories had a massive opportunity with the majority Boris had to show us what they were about. They have completely blown it, first with the endless lies and sleazy antics, then with the sheer lunacy of Truss.
Any party that has presided over that shambles deserves to be shown the door.
I will vote labour on that basis. I also find some of the personalities and policies, Rwanda for example, really objectionable.
Fingers crossed that Starmer will do better, although I have to agree with Jacob in that I really have no idea what the man actually stands for. He seems to just go with the flow the whole time. Love the Groucho Marx analogy "these are my principles, if you don't like them I have others" .

I’m not sure your interpretation of what happened is correct.

Here’s the official findings which is quite clear that they acted properly.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmselect/cmstnprv/1044/1044.pdf

I’m not defending them out of any political allegiance but I don’t think it’s fair to slag someone off for something they didn’t do.

I will happily confess to being a conservative, with a small c
I can’t imagine many small c conservatives feeling the Conservatives since 2019 represents them.

I appreciate you are taking a pragmatic view and looking to vote Labour despite not being your natural home.

I think an awful lot of traditional conservatives are feeling they can’t vote for the current Tories

I think the Tories had a massive opportunity with the majority Boris had to show us what they were about.
But what about the pandemic, ie Covid which has cost the UK about 350 billion and brought the economy to a standstill plus poor old Borris was never the same after catching it, it probably left him with something like brain fog and he should never have remained PM.

Post Covid we live in a different world, it has changed and gave many the opportunity to realise they were in a rut and had no need to continue working as their pension was ready and waiting so we have about 11 million not working but not all classed as unemployed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52660591

This must be a big reduction in revenue for HMRC and yet all parties are promising no tax hikes and have big plans .

There are also not that many who have had any ideas about what they would do if they were in charge and so far it looks like Jacob's sharpening party would be contenders with some ideas.

Back