Table Saw kickback and trimmed finger (Graphic description & images)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear of your accident - brave of you to post about it! Hope you get back into action quickly.
Seems to be the most common serious accident in woodworking.

ALWAYS use two push sticks, NEVER have your hands nearer to a TS or a spindle than say 6"
Use the standard pattern widely available Axminster Workshop Push Stick and make copies from ply or mdf. Unlike your fingers they are consumables and it doesn't matter if they get shortened.
HSE regs are very slack on this and American youtubers are insane risk takers, so ignore them both.
I agree about the Americans who post on YouTube. I was tempted to remove the guard on my table saw in order to trench as they do, but I cured myself of that madness.
Leo

I agree , now that would make sense totally, that is no normal blade guard. I'm assuming the bar in the middle some how clamps to the front of the saw to stop the Crown from moving out of position.

That is one serious piece of kit.....

My home made crown guard located sideways by the riving knife, also Jessem Stock guides that almost eliminate the possibility of kick back.

Crown guard.jpeg

I removed the guard from day one to be able to use a sled, as the Americans call them. I came a cropper while using it and took off the tip of a finger. A trip to A&E for some treatment. Then I did the same thing, different finger, while cutting a piece of wood, too small to cut safely - but I thought it would be OK. Didn't bother with A&E that time. I knew what to do to treat the wound. The fingers repaired and I fortunate.

I still don't have the guard fitted and it is many years since those events. I made sure that the fence was correctly fitted to avoid kick-back and use push stiicks and a Gripper for most tasks on the table saw.

I learned the hard way. Took it on board and changed my working practices to improve my safety without having that damned guard. I don't recommend working without a guard; but, as long as a person knows the risks, it's a personal decision.

I removed the guard from day one to be able to use a sled, as the Americans call them. I came a cropper while using it and took off the tip of a finger. A trip to A&E for some treatment. Then I did the same thing, different finger, while cutting a piece of wood, too small to cut safely - but I thought it would be OK. Didn't bother with A&E that time. I knew what to do to treat the wound. The fingers repaired and I fortunate.

I still don't have the guard fitted and it is many years since those events. I made sure that the fence was correctly fitted to avoid kick-back and use push stiicks and a Gripper for most tasks on the table saw.

I learned the hard way. Took it on board and changed my working practices to improve my safety without having that damned guard. I don't recommend working without a guard; but, as long as a person knows the risks, it's a personal decision.
Had you not followed “the American way” it’s likely you wouldn’t have needed to learn the hard way.

Had you not followed “the American way” it’s likely you wouldn’t have needed to learn the hard way.
Exactly.
It's odd how so many ordinary electrical gadgets, even toasters, come with elaborately detailed warnings of the hazards, often in five languages, but woodwork machinery without.
Maybe that should change.
HSE info is also a bit slack and long overdue for revision.

When i was about 6 i watched my dad cutting a short piece of wood on his table saw, it kicked back & the wood hit him on the chin & damn near knocked him out.
I use one regularly & have a rule, never cut anything shorter than the table is long & never ever put my hands anywhere near the blade, I have two good push sticks that live on the saw & they are used all the time.

I did learn the hard way but, having learned, I can now use the saw with experience and relative safety and don't take the dangers lightly.

Can’t help but think that “the American way” is spawned by the prevalence of SawStop saws. Practically every YouTube woodworker has one, so I guess the “I know what I’m doing” hubris takes over when the stakes of being wrong are only receiving a minor cut rather than losing a finger.

I must admit, I wish SawStop would sell their saws over here. I know Jacob will be along shortly to tell me I don’t need one and that I should just use the saw properly, but it would be nice to know that if I am unwittingly using it incorrectly then at least I will keep all of my digits.

No I mean that the rear of the overhead guard is slotted to take the Riving knife so the guard rides up on it and does not move sideways into the blade unlike those without lateral support as shown on the picture above.

No I mean that the rear of the overhead guard is slotted to take the Riving knife so the guard rides up on it and does not move sideways into the blade unlike those without lateral support as shown on the picture above.
Any chance you could post a picture from the rear, please?

No chance I'm afraid, table saw was sold with the house in France when we moved back to the UK.

Can’t help but think that “the American way” is spawned by the prevalence of SawStop saws. Practically every YouTube woodworker has one, so I guess the “I know what I’m doing” hubris takes over when the stakes of being wrong are only receiving a minor cut rather than losing a finger.

I must admit, I wish SawStop would sell their saws over here. I know Jacob will be along shortly to tell me I don’t need one and that I should just use the saw properly, but it would be nice to know that if I am unwittingly using it incorrectly then at least I will keep all of my digits.
The American way has been the North American way of working since the beginnings of powered saws. Tools that came with any kind of safety attachments like crown guards were usually pulled off and tossed then the tool was bought. They never mandated and adopted safer standards and work practices that the UK and Europe did. The SawStop was "spawned" as a result of the thousands of injuries every year working in the traditional American way.

I'd bet dollars to donuts the reason you see so many SawStops in videos is because the influencers are getting them for free to do reviews with and so they are seen in the three backgrounds of their shops when doing other stuff. Subliminal advertising.

There is another thread announcing SawStop saws coming to Europe and the UK in the future so you will be able to get one if you want soonish.

Pete

Dont you have a table saw sled Paul ? I thought everyone did.

I'm not really a fan of riving knife mounted guards, it means if you want to cut tenons or use a sled it needs to come off. Much better are the ones mounted on a bar fixed to the far side of the table like on everyone's dream saw; the Wadkin PK

Thus.
No need for elaborate set ups, does the job perfectly and fully covered by HSE

Droool....
IMG_4879.jpeg

Last edited:
Back