Plane restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. Did another plane today a friend had sat in his garage. Didn't get it as clean as the last one but it's flat and sharp. Sharpened it myself with the honing guide kinverkid kindly sent me. Thanks again.
I need more practice sharpening its not as easy as the vids make it look. 😂.. but I got there and It feels great to use.

Attachments

• PXL_20240822_150018560.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240822_150018560.MP.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240822_150037133.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240822_150037133.MP.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240822_150047671.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240822_150047671.MP.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240822_150905389.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240822_150905389.MP.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks like another good addition to the collection. Better be careful because when you get to like restoring old tools you soon run out of space for them. At one stage I had 5 #4s which even I thought was more than enough so it was time to slow down a bit. Went well for a bit then I discovered that old wooden planes can be good as well.
Regards
John

Hi all. Did another plane today a friend had sat in his garage. Didn't get it as clean as the last one but it's flat and sharp. Sharpened it myself with the honing guide kinverkid kindly sent me. Thanks again.
I need more practice sharpening its not as easy as the vids make it look. 😂.. but I got there and It feels great to use.
Looks like a good job!
Perhaps smooth out the wooden parts, a coating of shellac just for appearance sake?

Looks like another good addition to the collection. Better be careful because when you get to like restoring old tools you soon run out of space for them. At one stage I had 5 #4s which even I thought was more than enough so it was time to slow down a bit. Went well for a bit then I discovered that old wooden planes can be good as well.
Regards
John
I can relate to this obsession. I can't resist rescuing a plane at car-boots for the right price. A couple of weeks back I rescued a No.3 for a fiver. I reckon I've got more planes than Boeing.

Had a visit of a really nice fella today. Mentioned the other day I was getting into woodworking and he popped round this aft while I was a work and dropped off some planes and a chisel to add to my growing collection. I also picked up a brace. It was mentioned in one of my other posts to add to my hand tools so I've been slowly growing them. Some old some new. Some cheap, some not so much. But it's a start and learning as I go.
Also made a pallet wall for them. With a bit of room to spare.
Back to the planes. Can any tell me there specific uses. Also the one on the right was donated by another friend, it needs a bit of work on the blade. Are they sharpened to the same angle as the bigger ones.
Thanks.

Attachments

• PXL_20240909_174344653.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240909_174344653.MP.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20240909-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240909-WA0000.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240907_154147130.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240907_154147130.MP.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can any tell me there specific uses.
Very roughly, small job, small plane.
Fact - dubious, you can use any size for any smoothing job.
Long piece of wood, wavy, look for a long plane (sort of makes sense)
Angles? 'Classic' 25 main cut, 30 for secondary bevel. anything round about
that will work till you get fussy.

Suggestion? Take each one apart and see if you can work out what each
adjustment does (ask if you get stuck). then check if you're right.

Good luck and enjoy playing with planes!

Thanks for that. I've had a little play around with them tonight. The 2 on the left work perfectly. The one on the right a little rough. I've enjoyed researching the larger ones, age , number ect. I've been using a link provided earlier in the thread. Seems a bit easier with the bigger ones. Is it possible to do it with the smaller 3. The right 2 are Stanley. Not sure about the 3rd. I suppose some markings may appear when I clean it up.

A Stanley bull nose plane , a Stanley block plane with adjustable mouth - looks standard angle bed rather than low angle, and another block plane with less adjustments.

As each of these is bevel up instead of bevel down the sharpening angle changes the cutting angle angle of the plane - want a more slicing cut for endgrain - sharpen at a lower angle. Want a high angle to reduce tear out then increase the sharpening angle.
As you have 2 block planes I make one a lower angle and the other a higher angle so they serve different purposes- or they’ll overlap and it’ll just be a personal preference on which you reach for.

The bull nose is mostly used in practice for adjusting rebates - the blade going all the way to the edges mean it can work into a corner. Less general purpose than the block planes but useful to have when you need it.

But just give them a try and find out what you like using them for and then incorporate into projects where they make processes easier.

Back