Suggestions for a jig please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Handsaw, put it in the vice and as you get mostly through and it closes on the saw put a wedge in the cut, or cut it horizontally in the vice, you can have it done in no time- less time than making a jig probably.
Ian

Handsaw, put it in the vice and as you get mostly through and it closes on the saw put a wedge in the cut, or cut it horizontally in the vice, you can have it done in no time- less time than making a jig probably.
Ian
It won't go far enough into the vice to grip it properly, good idea re the wedge , Could try that in my workmate , Thanks.
Oh hold on will it work with the depth of the saw itself ? unless I use a hacksaw , Mmm

I've 'dismantled' a bowling ball and tbh the timber in one(lignum) was spidered with hundreds of cracks, no doubt from a lifetime of bashing into other bowling balls.

Before you even get a saw out, what do you intend converting the ball into ?

I only ask because a quick flat on the belt sander in 2 diametrically opposed positions will enable you to get the ball mounted between centres and, using light cuts, you can remove the outer coating so you can establish the condition of the wood.

If all appears to be well at that stage, you then have the opportunity to re-mount the ball between centres for grain alignment (should that be necessary) ...

Back