Students.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't agree with you more Peter, education is vitally important but shouldn't universities be providing first class education in worthwhile subjects to reasonably intelligent people.
I have a friend whos dim daughter did an ology at Manchester and has worked at McDonalds for over ten years, another friends son did a second rate degree at a third rate university and has been a plod for the last five years. Now I understand a degree may be useful if you harbour ambitions of becoming a chief constable but this guy will be very lucky if he reaches the dizzy heights of sergeant before he retires

Or to put it another way - another turkey voting for christmas.

That's right Mr G, all or nothing. Is there no happy medium between the workhouse and living on benefits?
As regards more jobs Pete, the last administration claims to have created over a million. Trouble is that apparently most went to immigrants with better qualifications 'cos so many of our graduates had taken degrees for which employers had no use.
The student I quoted from the net who was wingeing that he had to do 30 hrs of lectures is someone I wouldn't employ even if he came gold plated.

Roy.

PS.

Take a look at this Pete, see what I mean? Where are the engineers, physicists, electrical engineers, civil engineers etc?

Alan Jones":1grrer4b said:
but shouldn't universities be providing first class education in worthwhile subjects to reasonably intelligent people.

You do that by making fewer places available for newer fashionable courses and by making the courses themselves harder to get into by raising minimum grade requirements.

You don't do it by making all courses so expensive only the rich can afford them.

You are really in danger of making certian knowledge too expensive to learn. Who will study English, English Literature, Classics or music when it costs £9,000 per year? Note that these are not easy "doss" degrees.

Courses like these are mostly used to demonstrate an ability to learn at the highest levels. There are not that many English teachers in the world you know. How many people do you know who can speak latin? Would you bother to learn latin if it was costing you £20+ per hour that you know must be paid back?

I hope you will say it is worth learning these esoteric things but the burden of cost should be on the tax payer.

Or should knowledge that is not cost effective be forgotten? :cry:

Pete

Pete B. I agree with every word of that and my preference would be for the state to pay for such as you describe and leave student florists to pay their own fees.

Roy.

Totally agree Peter. Subsidize quality courses that have reasonably difficult entry requirements and let the less academic learn on the job. Surely you can learn to do a bunch of flowers without having to go to university

Alan Jones":237fr2r0 said:
... Surely you can learn to do a bunch of flowers without having to go to university

That hits the nail on the head. You only get these weird university courses at third-rate polytechnics...sorry ...'universities'...all part of the last Labour Govts' wild experimental wishful thinking that they foisted on us.

Alan Jones":3eak1sb8 said:
Totally agree Peter. Subsidize quality courses that have reasonably difficult entry requirements and let the less academic learn on the job. Surely you can learn to do a bunch of flowers without having to go to university
Why don't you have a look at what it is you are actually whingeing on about?
The florists course is only a 2 year "foundation" and sounds a perfectly good idea to those who want to work in the trade and perhaps run their own business.
http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/ ... etail.html
A good trade course on the face of it.
I can't see any reason to object at all, or are you all frustrated florists who never had a chance? Poor things! :lol:
You could get on the course yourselves if you really want to - start practicing with some gladioli and try to adopt a positive no-whinging attitude, or you just won't prosper!

Ok Mr G the state funds the course for florists.
Due to the other forums that I grace with my presense :roll: I know people who have made a life long study of UFOs, Fairies, Shamanism, the Aether, and one who has studied for many years the Babylonian culture 'cos he believes that he is a reincarnation of one of the God Kings!
You've already written of Holistic practitioners so where do we stop/start?

Roy.

Hope this thread doesn't get locked.

Steve Maskery, re GCSE only D's obtained. I was in conversation with some friends and they said their grandson only obtained D results and was refused acceptance for his choice of university. (he wants to be a pilot by the way)

Around ten days later the grandparents were delighted to inform me that the grandson had now found a university place.

Another situation, a boy the same age as my daughter (now 50 years of age) never worked in his life, he has been getting university places since he was 18 years of age and today we learnt that he is starting another degree course, according to a letter my wife received today. This man has no intention of working and is only using the system.

Should I be expected to pay taxes to support that lifestyle.

How does he do it though? All the mature students I was at uni with (good bunch) had to pay for their courses.

If he's been at uni for 32 years he is either paying or claiming benefits of some sort that include zero fees.

So either there is no problem at all or the problem lies with the benefits system and not education.

Pete

Digit":43z3gc9d said:
Ok Mr G the state funds the course for florists.
Due to the other forums that I grace with my presense :roll: I know people who have made a life long study of UFOs, Fairies, Shamanism, the Aether, and one who has studied for many years the Babylonian culture 'cos he believes that he is a reincarnation of one of the God Kings!
You've already written of Holistic practitioners so where do we stop/start?

Roy.
OK that's a fair question but I wouldn't hazard an answer.

Certainly these things will be studied as components of psychology or sociology courses - like it or not they are features of human activity.

Your re-incarnated chap might do well to start a philosophy degree, if he isn't already brain dead (then he could try floristry with you lot!) :lol: :lol:

But most, if not all, the list in that earlier post, probably are quite sensible when you look at the details. The Beckham studies made sense, unexpectedly I agree - but it was only a course title.
You could have an excellent woodwork course and jokingly call it Firewood for Beginners.

Peter Bassets

Must be benefits.

His parents are retired civil servants.(one was a probation officer, executive grade) perhaps they are supporting him, I dont know, but he is still costing the system.

Certainly these things will be studied as components of psychology or sociology courses

With my point being how many sociologist do we need?
Try this. The GMC should be able to tell the government the required number of qualified doctors the country needs for X yrs into the future.
Assuming the applicants, by examination, show the necessary skills and aptitudes, IMO they should be funded.
What I do not accept is that we should fund twice as many as we need.
Looking at the BBC link, just how many lawyers do we need?

Roy.

Mr Rim wrote

Bring back the workhouse, slavery, public executions etc etc

Not sure about slavery and the workhouse Mr Rim :shock: but public executions could bring in a healthy revenue and get rid of all the paedophiles etc at the same time :lol:

devonwoody":32lqdyg2 said:
but he is still costing the system.

Yes, but the fix is not higher fees for degrees because he doesn't seem to be paying them anyway. And if he is paying them, then he can jolly well study what he likes.

Still got to be better than the ones who spend every penny on booze, fags and scratch cards right?

Never mind the universities, look at this....

this is my ******* project bike,for sale as spares or repair as it doesnt run an probably hasnt for sum time,i bought the bike with the intention of restoring it but already have to meny projects on the go so i am making more time for the projects i already have.i would like to sell the bike knowing it will be restord rather than stripd down to make money on as i know these bikes r worth a fair bit in peices.in the box of bits are the carb bodies and sum of bits off them,the side stand,sum electrical components(not alot),parts of the air and battery box,also the foot rests gear and brake leaver,the engine is alltogether it has the clutch fully assembled,gearbox complete,both barells in good condition,will need new pistons as one is missing its rings,it has its oil tank but no oil fed pipes,the oposit side pannel is missing,the seat is their but the base plate is half missing with rust possibly be fixd by good fabricator,the tank is their and altho needs paint wen i tryd it for leaks it did not leak so shud make a good tank,it has the bak wheel but cush drive is missing,sprocets,and the spacers,the engine is also in need of a complete set of bolts to build up properly,i am also advertising this bike else wer so i reserve the right to remove the item if it sells before end of the time.sory if this description is not very good as its my first time selling on ebay if any questions you need answering email me or call or text me ********** thanks colection from buyer only,cash on colection would be preferd.

...okay, before someone points out that the writer could be dyslexic there are spell checkers available.

Roy.

Digit":12x1h0fw said:
t.
...okay, before someone points out that the writer could be dyslexic there are spell checkers available.

Roy.
His text reads perfectly without any ambiguities.
He makes spelling mistakes but so what? I find it quite pleasing that it doesn't hold him back and he isn't going to be put off by being jeered at for his spelling.
Good luck to him!

Back