Students.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's nice to see something other than apathy to be honest.

Some stuff needs smashing up. Pity that it won't make any difference!

Digit":1ki0dpmv said:
Nic to see our future leaders in action isn't it?....
Misses the point very neatly!
Poorer families will avoid higher ed, which in turn limits the pool of educated people who may become our future leaders. Instead we will get lumbered with the narrow clique of public school / oxbridge smart-ar**s, such as our present govt.
Come on students - let's see a bit more protest, you've been apathetic for too long!!

Think it depends what Uni you go to. There wasn't a single mention of it at ours an no-one was missing.

I wonder if there will be any ramifications for those students who have been photographed?

Misses the point very neatly!

Yes, doesn't it? Like why should they expect people to fund Mickey Mouse degrees anyway Mr G?
I paid for my degree course out of my own pocket, by working!

Roy.

Too true Roy. A large percentage of those going to universities these days
doing some kind of useless ology should never gone to uni and whats your problem with Oxford and Cambridge Mr Rim the students there will actually have some academic capability

Look at this Allan...

Northampton University initially had 250 places available through the clearing system, including such courses as Third World Development with Pop Music, Dance with Equine Studies and joint honours in Waste Management and Dance.

The clearing web-site also invites school-leavers to consider a Tournament Golf foundation degree at Duchy College in Camborne, Cornwall.

The two-year course offers students the chance to "improve your tournament golf skills", and its admissions requirements indicate: "No handicap is definitive but the guide parameters are +5 to 3."

Glyndwr University, in Wrexham, still had 15 places available on its BSc (Hons) in Equestrian Psychology, which "investigates the unique partnership between horse and rider".

Subjects which were on offer through clearing at the start of last week, but which filled up during the week, included a degree course in Australian Studies, a joint honours degree in Criminology and Pop Music Production, and another combining Geology and Popular Culture.

Farnborough College of Technology still had places available last week on its two-year foundation degree in Holistic Therapies.

But if applicants find that course to be full they could turn to Warwickshire College which is offering Beauty Therapies Management, Hairdressing Management and Spa Management courses.

Writtle College in Chelmsford, Essex, offers a foundation degree in Professional Floristry which covers the "practical and theoretical aspects of floral design".

There is still one place available on a three-year degree in Theatre Practice: Puppetry at London's Central School of Speech and Drama.

...and what value has 'Beckham Studies' in the job market I wonder?

Roy.

Digit":2ht8l6ou said:
...and what value has 'Beckham Studies' in the job market I wonder?

Roy.
I suspect that if you could be bothered to check you would find that most of the courses above would make sense in their particular context.
Such as this, though it's old news now and probably no more.

"Foundation Degrees" also make sense. Good idea in fact, and are designed to get people into work.

A Holistic Therapies course is probably b0llix - but that also depends on context and the actual course content. Potentially a big earner and would get people plenty of work, even if it is b0llix :roll:

You only 'suspect' that, have you checked?
Would you hire someone with a degree in floristry? Would you pay for it?
If students wish the state to pay for their courses then the state is entitled to value for their investment wouldn't you say?
There is an article on the net, naming names, including one who dropped out citing amongst his other difficulties the fact that the poor sod was expected in class 5 day/wk from 9 till 4. Oh golly gosh, oh deary me!
There was one on TV 'tother day doing 'business studies', 3 day/wk, 4hr/day!
I did more than that in extra curricular hours!

Roy.

Digit":2qmiguye said:
You only 'suspect' that, have you checked?
Quick google - try it yourself
Would you hire someone with a degree in floristry?
No - but then I'm not a florist! If I was then I would probably be very interested.
Would you pay for it?
If you mean through taxation then yes certainly. I think it's a good idea for people working at whatever level or task, to be trained/educated as far as possible. It makes them better at the job - improves the quality of service that we get from them, and ultimately they pay their way by taxation of their higher earnings
If students wish the state to pay for their courses then the state is entitled to value for their investment wouldn't you say? ....
Yes - and they get it. Education is an extremely good investment - the Brits have a down on it but we are becoming the new third world; the rising economies of the world are really keen on education.

What benefit the does the state receive from media studies etc when the student drop out rate is currectly running at close to 20%, (the Guardian BTW) with media studies etc working for big Mac.

The idea of your high street florist hiring a graduate to flog Roses at a realistic salary seems highly optomistic to me.

the rising economies of the world are really keen on education.

Yes indeed, and I doubt that China or India waste state money on Beckham studies do you reckon? When did quantity become more important than quality?
We need engineers, doctors, physicists etc, not holistic practioners.

trained/educated as far as possible.

Agreed, but engineering grauduates, for example, were reckoned to be useless straight from uni and required practical traning in my time. And for that they need to get a job in the first place.
From a graduate's stand a 2.1 in engineering is a damn sight more jobworthy than a top honours in Art History!

Roy.

Digit":18v2izwn said:
Yes indeed, and I doubt that China or India waste state money on Beckham studies do you reckon?
Did you read the Beckham studieslink? I think it is very likely that China and India would be interested in that side of things as they move into the commercial world of media, entertainment etc. Media studies would go down very well in India - have you heard of Bollywood? Indian film industry is big big business
We need engineers, doctors, physicists etc, not holistic practioners.
Holistic practitioners would not have the brains to be doctors etc. They still need training in what they do - they've got to earn a living!
From a graduate's stand a 2.1 in engineering is a damn sight more jobworthy than a top honours in Art History!

Roy.
Be a dull old world if only engineers got a bit of education!

Yes, I did read the link, and as few teenagers today will know who Mathews or Wright were I doubt that Beckam will be remembered any longer. Also I rather doubt that a 12 wk course would have made any difference to men like Sir Alf!

Holistic practitioners would not have the brains to be doctors etc.

Has it not ocurred to you that people take courses that they are interested in? To suggest that someone with the necessary brains to a be a doctor might choose some other career seems to be alien to you.

Be a dull old world if only engineers got a bit of education!

And where was that suggested?
Assuming that we had the means etc do you see any point in asking the tax payer to fund a million doctors through university just because a million would be students claim they want to be doctors?

Roy.

And think about the applicants whose GCSE results were at a D level and still apply and get into university. They and their parents are just wanting a life style at everyone's expense.

devonwoody":ebde24bn said:
And think about the applicants whose GCSE results were at a D level and still apply and get into university. They and their parents are just wanting a life style at everyone's expense.

I didn't realise that was the case. Do you have a reference for those two claims, DW, I'd be interested.

I think it is a great shame that a very few people yesterday hijacked what was, IIUIC, a peaceful demo. I was also pleased to hear the president of the NUS condemning the violence in unequivocal terms (PM, yesterday).

Re students' working hours - anyone who has done any kind of further or higher education knows that there is the world of difference between timetabled teaching and working time. Depending upon the way the course is structured and the funding available to pay staff, that timetabled schedule can vary enormously. My Bachelor's degree was too long ago to remember, but when I did my MBA we were timetabled 9-5 on M, T, T and F from Sept until Easter. On Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday we did everything else, reading, research, assignments, field visits etc. I had Xmas day off, NYE and NYD (the last two because I was ill) and a whole week at Easter after finishing the last of my assignments and beginning my dissertation.

I do accept that not all students worked as hard as that, but many - no, I'd say most - of my colleagues did. It was a 7-day week, not a 4-day one.

I agree that there are some odd-sounding courses out there and I, too, have some qualms about them being publicly funded. But, to take one example, if I were an Events Management company, I'd probably value very highly having someone on my staff with a degree in Floristry, especially if the course they had attended gave a grounding in the economics of the industry as well as how to wire a rose. What is economically ridiculous is if we as a nation produce 10000 such graduates every year.

What we need is not less education, it's more jobs.

I just wanted to put a bit of balance into this.
S

devonwoody":160zy3tm said:
Yes well state education and health provision are just luxuries which allow the riff-raff to get above themselves and have an easy life. Make the b&&ggers pay!
Bring back the workhouse, slavery, public executions etc etc

Education is essential. As essential as water and air as far as I am concerned. Most of the problems with our society could be fixed if everyone had a higher base level of knowledge and the ability to apply it. It's got to start early.

It is more worthy than, for instance, the armed forces. We currently spend 2.5% of our GDP on the armed forces! 3rd highest expenditure in the world! You're moaning about pineapple STUDENTS!

Those who feel they can learn should be able to do so. End of story. Education should be as accessible as clean water.

There will always be those for whom academic learning is not applicable and for them we need apprenticeships and at a lower level just simple jobs. McDonalds will always need Johnny no stars.

If when I'd been in college the uni fees per year were £9,000 I expect I would not have gone. £36000 is pretty pineapple steep for a degree don't you think? I'd still be paying it back now, ten years or more later. As it stands I'll be paying back for my education via tax for the rest of my life and I have no problem with that.

Those who make a go of their lives will pay society back because they will automatically end up earning more.

We *need* engineers. We *need* scientists. We *need* doctors. We *need* florists (but not many)!

And we need for them to *want* to become the next generation of productive members of society.

Who mentioned health provision Mr Rim? You really shouldn't let your your communist ideology blind you to the facts. The reality is that the country is in such a fcuked up state financially that everyone is going to have to bear their share of the burden.
The days of spend spend spend without a thought to where the mony is going to come from are over

There speaks one who sees civilisation itself as an evil communist conspiracy!

And I'm not baring anything - at least not until the weather perks up a bit.

popcorn.gif

BugBear

Back