Hinge Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No affiliation - I plan to try this one soon - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19579944...EACWV6&hash=item2d968e7efe:g:fzsAAOSwUatmU5ri

Router entry point, adjustable and a jig which allows for door stops/architrave already fitted which is crucial for me with my existing doors and frames :)

I bought a UJK one to do my workshop but didn’t get in with it very well and was too big to do the frame with - could only do the door.
Wonder how long it will take one of the clever people here or at Thangs to make their 3D-printed version of the same thing. I would if I found a need for one. There are plenty of hinge jigs on their site. I don't often have to fit door hinges so when I do, I do it by hand.

You really need to get a Stanley No 95 Butt gauge. Invaluable. I’ve attached a copy of the instructions for use

IMG_1599.jpeg

Attachments

• Hinge 95 Butt Gauge.pdf
    160.3 KB · Views: 0
👍🏻 I’ve always used 2 marking gauges when cutting hinges. I’ve probably hung well over a thousand doors traditionally, but I am looking to try a router and jig on my own home. Always best to trial on yourself first isn’t it 👍🏻

I’ve probably hung well over a thousand doors traditionally, but I am looking to try a router and jig on my own home. Always best to trial on yourself first isn’t it 👍🏻
You should have led with this and saved yourself the time spent reading irrelevant suggestions from amateurs or professionals making incorrect assumptions about your specific goal. Consider adding this information prominently in your original post.

Regarding your actual question, I’m afraid you will likely need to try a few jigs yourself and may end up using different ones in different circumstances. Caveat – I’m not a professional, but I have installed a few doors, some relatively recently, and I was also researching potential jigs.

All commercial jigs (at least those I’ve looked into) work well on the door side, but far fewer work acceptably on the frame side. Almost none (that I’ve seen) work on an existing frame with door stops and/or architraves installed, and in some cases, removing the existing stop/architrave to fit the jig is not desirable.

That said, given your experience, I’m curious to see which jig you’ll find acceptable. When you find ‘the one,’ please post it on this thread.

Latest posts

Back