Recommendations for low price ultrasonic cleaner for Stihl carburetor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@imageel are you talking about in conjunction with an ultrasonic machine or just as you would usually do it?

I suspect that acetone maybe available at reasonable cost, I haven’t tried it out in plastic containment but suspect it won’t work well.
TBH I never bothered with an ultrasonic bath just cellulose thinners and an old toothbrush for intricate parts or an offcut of hardwood to dislodge stubborn build-ups -far more friendly on TCT items

I used to use the CMT spray and an old toothbrush on my table saw blades but TBH I found it a real fag as it took ages for the crud on the tips to soften. Seriously thnking about getting a bigger bath but my usage of blades isn't what it used to be and so easier to send off to be sharpened.

Here you go. A bearing guided router bit and a spindle moulder cutter.

After
View attachment 188575

The 'before' bearing was a bit graunchy but after the ultrasonic clean, free as a bird and can easily be spun using compressed air

I'm unclear as to what vacuum bags have to do with ultrasonic cleaning TBH
The vacuum bags can contain whatever liquid (that doesn’t eat plastic) and the items to be cleaned, for example paraffin, or soapy water, while the main bath is just water, so you can easily keep the main bath squeaky clean.

I had the thought as I have a chamber vacuum seal machine. It’s quite useful for making ice packs that I can give away with the cold food, at virtually zero cost

The 'before' bearing was a bit graunchy but after the ultrasonic clean, free as a bird and can easily be spun using compressed air

Don't spin bearings with compressed air. They can get damage from the dry surfaces running against each other. More importantly they can be spun up to the point where the bearing comes apart, sending pieces everywhere. It doesn't take very long either. Just a few seconds. Basic training taught to me when was training to be an aircraft mechanic ages ago.

Pete

in my experience -
Alcohol will soften resin build up but is not particularly fast
Acetone is better but it's high volatility is an issue unless you can get it cheaply
The best solution I have found is cellulose thinners -gun-cleaner grade is the cheapest, and I find it quickly dissolves the resin build up on router bits and spindle tooling and isn't as volatile as acetone.
Specifically for bandsaw parts I found an old scraper held against the blade whilst the wheels are turned by hand can effectively remove most of the build-up leaving only the teeth to clean with an old toothbrush dipped in solvent for the teeth.
A scraper also works well on the tyres where use of solvents is a little risky and can even be performed with care whilst the blade is still fitted.
You best me to it. Cellulose thinners are great for anything resinous, also really good for the varnish like deposits on cylinder heads, carburettors etc.

The vacuum bags can contain whatever liquid (that doesn’t eat plastic) and the items to be cleaned, for example paraffin, or soapy water, while the main bath is just water, so you can easily keep the main bath squeaky clean.

I had the thought as I have a chamber vacuum seal machine. It’s quite useful for making ice packs that I can give away with the cold food, at virtually zero cost
As said before, just stick them in a suitably sized glass jar with your chosen solvent and stick the jar in the bath.

Don't spin bearings with compressed air. They can get damage from the dry surfaces running against each other. More importantly they can be spun up to the point where the bearing comes apart, sending pieces everywhere. It doesn't take very long either. Just a few seconds. Basic training taught to me when was training to be an aircraft mechanic ages ago.

Pete
A good point but using them in a router....there is no lubrication. Admittedly I can't make a cut as fast as using compressed air!

Back