Potential sites for new mega-solar farms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one said all change is pointless. .......
It's the basic assumption behind conservative thought. There's a clue in the name!
It was expressed many times by PM Lord Salisbury, one of the founding fathers of conservatism https://www.alistairlexden.org.uk/news/why-do-we-need-change
Hence "The Salisbury Review" and similar nonsense.
In 1879 he wrote: “Whatever happens will be for the worse, and therefore it is in our interest that as little should happen as possible”.

We will be sitting ducks in any conflict if a non ‘renewable country, wants to attack us.
Aka Russia.
If we use solar or wind then we should be less at risk because we are not dependant on getting oil and gas from outside the uk but at the same time these wind turbines are not going to stop us being sitting ducks unless the other side uses siege tactics, if they use what they could use then I think the blades will be blown off the turbines instead or they just end up looking like a melted candle.

If we use solar or wind then we should be less at risk because we are not dependant on getting oil and gas from outside the uk but at the same time these wind turbines are not going to stop us being sitting ducks unless the other side uses siege tactics, if they use what they could use then I think the blades will be blown off the turbines instead or they just end up looking like a melted candle.
It would be a lot quicker to take out a few large gas-fired or nuclear power stations than thousands of solar and wind installations distributed throughout the UK. But anyway, it's moot - any conflict would escalate fairly quickly to nuclear weapons at which point, goodnight vienna.

My conce

My concern with all this renewable energy stuff, or as sensible people call it ‘remote combustion’ because the pollution is done ‘off site’, is that it’s a massive defence risk.
We will be sitting ducks in any conflict if a non ‘renewable country, wants to attack us.
Aka Russia.
Yet the same people who seem to hate Russia are the biggest supporters of green energy.
I would have thought renewable energy sources are no more vulnerable than oil/gas installations. (Russia perhaps demonstrated this when they took out the undersea gas pipeline )

Having more than one energy source is probably the most secure.

It would be a lot quicker to take out a few large gas-fired or nuclear power stations than thousands of solar and wind installations distributed throughout the UK.
Depends what they fired at us, we are only a little island and someone like Russia could easily wipe out the majority of the UK so the larger plants and everything in between would just cease to exist. This is why it is so stupid for us to keep provoking russia and supporting ukraine, just think of a single russian sub, 16 missiles each with multiple warheads in excess of 100 Kt, Hiroshima was 15 Kt !

We have to reverse that clock, 2 minutes is way to close for anyone to be happy with and start a process of being nice to each other and build relationships rather than all this mis-trust and not accepting other ways of living.

Depends what they fired at us, we are only a little island and someone like Russia could easily wipe out the majority of the UK so the larger plants and everything in between would just cease to exist. This is why it is so stupid for us to keep provoking russia and supporting ukraine, just think of a single russian sub, 16 missiles each with multiple warheads in excess of 100 Kt, Hiroshima was 15 Kt !

We have to reverse that clock, 2 minutes is way to close for anyone to be happy with and start a process of being nice to each other and build relationships rather than all this mis-trust and not accepting other ways of living.
So you are advocating appeasement. We should have stood up to them when they annexed Crimea.

Don't even need to do that. Their cyber-security is pants and wide open.

I would have thought renewable energy sources are no more vulnerable than oil/gas installations. (Russia perhaps demonstrated this when they took out the undersea gas pipeline )

Having more than one energy source is probably the most secure.
You think Russia blew up that pipeline? Interesting.

It would be a lot quicker to take out a few large gas-fired or nuclear power stations than thousands of solar and wind installations distributed throughout the UK. But anyway, it's moot - any conflict would escalate fairly quickly to nuclear weapons at which point, goodnight vienna.
My thought is rather that large fields of solar panels and flocks of off shore wind turbines are incredibly vulnerable to attack. A few cluster bombs or thermobaric bombs could happily wipe out or damage thousands of turbines and solar panels in no time at all.
Once those are down, you have no energy.
The beauty of oil and gass, is that we would always be able to import it and distribute it around the country.
Once we switch to remote combustion energy, sorry ‘green energy’, our systems will be switched to run exclusively on those systems, making us very vulnerable.

Last edited:
So you are advocating appeasement. We should have stood up to them when they annexed Crimea.
Who are you to talk about appeasement?
What has any of this got to do with you?
Ukraine is not a Nato country, it's not on or near our borders and so you’re not appeasing anyone because it’s got nothing to do with you.

Who are you to talk about appeasement?
What has any of this got to do with you?
Ukraine is not a Nato country, it's not on or near our borders and so you’re not appeasing anyone because it’s got nothing to do with you.
Who are you to dictate what I can/should talk about?

In my opinion it has got something to do with us. The UK subscribes to international law and allowing Russia to take over the territory of another country would therefore be wrong. Emboldening Putin by not supporting Ukraine will also just encourage him to push further.

In my opinion it is appeasement. You are very much entitled to your opinion but please do not try and make out that I am not entitled to mine.

It is the rotatng speed of a turbine generator so that is why they use a constant speed gearbox. With one of these the output is constant even though the input will have a range of different speeds. They are used in aircraft Ac generators to produce the required frequency and many other systems where an input speed is not constant but the output has to be..
Inverters are a prime example. Any desired frequency can de derived from electronic systems and, as time goes on, with more stability and accuracy. However, they will have to sort out the rather pronounced second harmonic which occurs with electronic devices. We do have a lot of electronic devices. Second harmonics distort the sinusoidal shape and the power use efficiency, amongst other issues.

Inverters are a prime example. Any desired frequency can de derived from electronic systems and, as time goes on, with more stability and accuracy. However, they will have to sort out the rather pronounced second harmonic which occurs with electronic devices. We do have a lot of electronic devices. Second harmonics distort the sinusoidal shape and the power use efficiency, amongst other issues.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that.

Lets not forget that we are already using High Voltage Dc (HVDC) transmission in the Uk so the technology is already here, also it is very efficient over long distances as demonstrated by the Chinese many years ago with there three gorges hydro plant where it produces over 20,000 Mw of power so this technology will become more popular and with even higher voltages.

Who are you to dictate what I can/should talk about?

In my opinion it has got something to do with us. The UK subscribes to international law and allowing Russia to take over the territory of another country would therefore be wrong. Emboldening Putin by not supporting Ukraine will also just encourage him to push further.

In my opinion it is appeasement. You are very much entitled to your opinion but please do not try and make out that I am not entitled to mine.
You are entitled to an opinion and I don’t disagree with sympathies about the subject but you’re not appeasing anyone.
Politicians and their client media say that’s what we’re doing becuase they want you to feel connected, to feel responsible for what’s happening and want you to take the action they require (support), so you allow them to do what they want, which is stick their nose in frankly where it doesn’t belong, which is why we’re in this mess, spending billions of £’s so nearly 1 million Ukrainians can die, in a futile and pointless war, that they have no chance of winning and what’s more, when this is all said and done and you see the devistation and pointless loss of life, you’re now partly responsible for, you’re going to forget all about it and move on with your life, but millions of Ukrainians won’t.

Russia is not a place I would want to live and a regime I would want to live under but instead of another failed coup that has killed nearly a million people, syria, lybia, Iraq and ukraine, we could have said to Ukrainians, hey if you don't want to live under Russian rule, you’re welcome to immigrate into Western Europe. We coukd have hollowed out that country and left Russia with some empty land but that’s not what people like you wanted to do. You and that irresponsible clown Boris Johnson, wanted to give Putin a bloody nose and brag about how we were using Ukrainians to do it.

The truth is we want that land and we don’t care how many Ukrainians die for us to get it. We don’t want Russia to have the fertile soil. Black Rock own most of it so what are Ukrainains even fighting for at this point? They would simply be a broken people that live in a country where they don’t even own anything.

So no, you’re not appeasing anyone. You’re just punching the air every time some western propaganda tells you we blew up a russian tank and your wish thinking is leaving you blind to how many Ukrainians are actually dying to do it.

I’ll come back when this is over and remind you of what you did and what you supported and that you foolishly thought Ukrainians had any chance of winning.
Be prepared to own it because you’re actively part of this, you stuck your neck in, you’re ‘not appeasing Putin’.. remember.

Last edited:
You are entitled to an opinion and I don’t disagree with sympathies about the subject but you’re not appeasing anyone.
Politicians and their client media say that’s what we’re doing becuase they want you to feel connected, to feel responsible for what’s happening and want you to take the action they require (support), so you allow them to do what they want, which is stick their nose in frankly where it doesn’t belong, which is why we’re in this mess, spending billions of £’s so nearly 1 million Ukrainians can die, in a futile and pointless war, that they have no chance of winning and what’s more, when this is all said and done and you see the devistation and pointless loss of life, you’re now partly responsible for, you’re going to forget all about it and move on with your life, but millions of Ukrainians won’t.

Russia is not a place I would want to live and a regime I would want to live under but instead of another failed coup that has killed nearly a million people, syria, lybia, Iraq and ukraine, we could have said to Ukrainians, hey if you don't want to live under Russian rule, you’re welcome to immigrate into Western Europe. We coukd have hollowed out that country and left Russia with some empty land but that’s not what people like you wanted to do. You and that irresponsible clown Boris Johnson, wanted to give Putin a bloody nose and brag about how we were using Ukrainians to do it.

The truth is we want that land and we don’t care how many Ukrainians die for us to get it. We don’t want Russia to have the fertile soil. Black Rock own most of it so what are Ukrainains even fighting for at this point? They would simply be a broken people that live in a country where they don’t even own anything.

So no, you’re not appeasing anyone. You’re just punching the air every time some western propaganda tells you we blew up a russian tank and your wish thinking is leaving you blind to how many Ukrainians are actually dying to do it.

I’ll come back when this is over and remind you of what you did and what you supported and that you foolishly thought Ukrainians had any chance of winning.
Be prepared to own it because you’re actively part of this, you stuck your neck in, you’re ‘not appeasing Putin’.. remember.
Do you actually believe what you write? If so I really can’t relate to your world view at view all. If an aggressor country invades just move all the people out and let the aggressor have the ‘empty’ country. Did you actually read that back before you posted it?

I think you may have got a bit confused. I'm against appeasement and have pointed out the folly of that as a strategy. I've checked the dictionary definition to make sure I'm not confused and it's what Neville Chamberlain did before WWII and that didn't turn out well.
It's a characteristic of your posts to paint those who have a different view as mindlessly following politicians and media. Just telling people they are wrong and"a bit thick" doesn't generally convince them of an alternative point of view.

I don't see it as spending billions so nearly 1 million Ukrainians can die. I'm assuming your figure of 1 million Ukrainian deaths is your projection as it's a very long way north of quoted figures. That doesn't make the casualties acceptable (on both sides) but it's also not acceptable to just subject Ukraine to Putin's rule if that's not what they want.

No I don't. The state of Putin's nose is of no concern of mine. I'd rather this war was not happening and that any disputes were being settled via diplomatic means.

It's not an empty land - it's sovereign Ukrainian territory the home and is also rich in natural resources (which Russia is not short of).

We can perhaps agree that BJ is an irresponsible clown but ironically I think this is the one thing he did which was sensible.

It's Ukrainian territory as recognised by international law. I'm puzzled that you think Black Rock own most of it as they don't.

I know I'm not appeasing anyone - that's what I said from the start. I'm not blind to the horrors of what is happening. You don't know me so please don't try and characterise or pigeon hole me as one of your self determined stereotypes.

I know we're not appeasing Putin - you appear confused.

I continue to respect your right to have a different opinion to mine but don't recognise you as the moral arbiter that you seem to think you are so no need to make a diary note to come back to remind me of anything.

You clearly see the world very differently so I'll leave it at that if you feel the need to have the last word.

Back