Planning application

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that makes sense - I don't know a lot about planning fees - might they vary? If fixed then arguably they are already published so the client can see them anyway... if they can vary then it makes sense to not include them...

I think this is a common reaction - we all feel that if something doesn't go to plan - we would ideally like someone else to take responsibility - but ultimately there are too many unknowns in the planning and construction world, so it makes sense to recognise that - and if something unexpected happens (such as needing a bat survey) then that is an additional cost which is the client's to bear so it does make sense to allow for that - and to not have that option means they would have to add the cost in to a fixed quote - so you would pay it whether or not you need it...
just a quick update on this point.

from the research I have done about the fees for the application, and based on the fact the planning company have already executed 4 out of the 5 properties on the same street, I see no reason for them to be vague about the planning application fees. It is fixed and easily available on the planning portal website. Yes it could change if the council decide to make you go down 'full' planning route for example, but based on the fact that the previous 4 didn't do that and were just regular house owner applications, it would seem more pragmatic to me to provide the cost for this (£328) and add a proviso in the quote saying 'subject to change if council do not accept proposed application type' blah blah.

It is straightdorward to download the required site and location plans that are required. I used BuyaPlan without any problem. They look exactly like the ones you illustrated. Your quote doesn't seem out of line. The quote you had would seem to include the application paperwork as well, which here is a real pain.
As you would have drawings from having previously built nearby, it should be possible to cut & paste most of the planning application paperwork if you do it yourself. I have built five houses in the past 20 years and the extra paperwork, surveys etc. for the latest have been massive. I can only speak for my area (West Sussex) but the paperwork requirements are a killer.

It is straightdorward to download the required site and location plans that are required. I used BuyaPlan without any problem. They look exactly like the ones you illustrated. Your quote doesn't seem out of line. The quote you had would seem to include the application paperwork as well, which here is a real pain.
As you would have drawings from having previously built nearby, it should be possible to cut & paste most of the planning application paperwork if you do it yourself. I have built five houses in the past 20 years and the extra paperwork, surveys etc. for the latest have been massive. I can only speak for my area (West Sussex) but the paperwork requirements are a killer.
Which ones do they look like?

The first two which are no good (item 1 and 2 on my list) or the last one on my list (item 3) which is acceptable?

Regarding the quote of 1,500 I'm not questioning the value for money. I'm doing the work myself now as a good learning experience. I also make money doing it.

With new builds you are into a different league, you would need a surveyor to define and map the boundary's, tree's, drains etc, and the ground heights above datum (which is set to reference Newlyn in Cornwall).

I would trace over the location drawings you have, keep it simple with just basic outlines, I think the scale for planning is 1:1250 so doesn't need to be very detailed, I would suggest the planners only want to tick the box that you have supplied one, oh, and make sure you put a North arrow on it.

I do use Google maps as well, but only any use if there is something to reference to

Latest posts

Back