Garden workshop - planning permission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupid question (because I am sometimes as stupid as I look): Is it acceptable to simply buy a huge shed of say 20' x 18' and plonk it down in your garden? It is just a shed, but a big f*** - a very large one!!

I might be wrong, but as I understand it, as long as you’d not taking up more than 50% of your back garden, within a conservation area, within a certain distance of any boundary a shed over certain size needs permitted development approval which is a rubber stamp exercise.

I might be wrong, but as I understand it, as long as you’d not taking up more than 50% of your back garden, within a conservation area, within a certain distance of any boundary a shed over certain size needs permitted development approval which is a rubber stamp exercise.
About right, as far as I know. If you Google "permitted development", you should find the low down.
In my case, because we're in a conservation area, an area of outstanding natural beauty, and I wanted the shed in the paddock, which is designated agricultural land, I had to do a full planning application, complete with heritage and access statement.

Farmers old ruse was to put up a pig sty under permitted development for agricultural land and then apply for change of use.

To split hairs a bit it doesn't technically need any approval, it's just permitted. But the Certificate of Lawful Development you can apply for takes the risk of potential enforcement action off the table by getting the planning authority's agreement that it is indeed permitted development.

Back