Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just starting a new project, the cherry burl sage inspired me. Mine is to use wood recovered from the sea.
Picked up a 4ft log today, chain saw out and have 6 cut pieces, three of these are now rounds, that are sitting on the fire surround to dry out.
If you wanted to dry them faster you could either put them in the oven at 100C and check on them every half hour or so or a quicker method is to weigh them, put them in the microwave forb30 seconds at a time, keep weighing them until they stop losing weight.
One thing to be aware of if doing the microwave method, pill bugs don't die in the microwave, last time I dried some birch this way I had several of them come out of the wood once I started turning it.

Ahh a youngster then
Stig thanks for the ideas on drying the wood. Trouble is I don’t know what it is or what it may have absorbed whilst in the sea. I don’t want to put it in/on something that I use for our food.... got me thinking about building a closed box with a heater 20w bar heater ... slow steady heat, hope it does not crack

Last edited:
Ahh a youngster then
Stig thanks for the ideas on drying the wood. Trouble is I don’t know what it is or what it may have absorbed whilst in the sea. I don’t want to put it in/on something that I use for our food.... got me thinking about building a closed box with a heater 20w bar heater ... slow steady heat, hope it does not crack
I have a couple of bar heaters going spare if you need them,eventually I'll build my own drying box but don't have anywhere to put one.

Using uncooked rice or other desiccant is a slower but more even drying process than microwaves. It's best suited to part-turned-pieces. There's no guarantee to stop splitting from occurring but slower methods tend to lessen the chances of splits.

I A.I. searched: drying wood using rice

Drying Wood with Rice​

Based on various online discussions and forums, using uncooked rice as a desiccant to dry wood is a suggested technique. Here’s a summary of the approach:
  • Place the wet wood in a container or bag with a sufficient amount of uncooked rice. The rice absorbs moisture from the wood, helping to dry it out.
  • Seal the container or bag to prevent moisture from re-entering and to encourage the rice to focus on absorbing the remaining moisture from the wood.
  • Leave the wood and rice mixture undisturbed for an extended period, allowing the rice to slowly dry the wood. The exact duration will depend on factors such as humidity, temperature, and the initial moisture level of the wood.
  • Once the wood has reached a desired moisture level (typically around 10-15%), the rice can be removed, and the wood can be further processed or used for your intended purpose.
Key Considerations
  • Use uncooked rice, as cooked rice may not be as effective as a desiccant.
  • Ensure the container or bag is sealed to prevent re-moisturizing the wood.
  • Monitor the wood’s moisture level and adjust the drying time as needed.
  • This method may not be as effective as other desiccants, such as silica gel or calcium chloride, but it can still be a useful and cost-effective option.
  • Keep in mind that drying wood using rice is a slow process and may not be suitable for large or thick pieces of wood.
Comparison to Other Methods
  • Salt, as discussed in some online forums, is not recommended for drying wood due to its corrosive properties and potential to damage tools or equipment.
  • Microwave drying, as mentioned in another discussion, is not a recommended method for drying wood, as it can cause uneven drying and potentially damage the wood.
  • Dehumidifiers and vacuum pumps, as mentioned in one discussion, are more effective desiccants but may require specialized equipment and expertise.
Conclusion
Using uncooked rice as a desiccant to dry wood is a suggested technique, but it’s essential to understand its limitations and potential drawbacks. This method may be suitable for small to moderate-sized pieces of wood, but it’s crucial to monitor the wood’s moisture level and adjust the drying time accordingly. If you’re looking for a more efficient or reliable method, consider alternative desiccants or drying techniques.

While the 30 seconds in the (workshop) microwave routine now suits my needs, I used to have a really effective 'drying box' made from an old (decommissioned) fridge. it used a low wattage incandescent bulb, thermostat / fan arrangement and worked really well (loads of ideas / alternatives on YouTube) ...

I am ok for them thanks, I put 2 bar heaters on in the winter to protect the battery (s) on my solar panels set up(s)
Edit. I did not hit the post button
So Stig I am ok for heaters thanks. As for drying, the blanks can sit by the fire for a few weeks
One day I should invest in a moisture metre, at the moment there are a host of jaws, chucks, tools, that are high on the list.... I never knew that GAS (gadget aquire syndrome) would get me whilst wood turning lol

I am ok for them thanks, I put 2 bar heaters on in the winter to protect the battery (s) on my solar panels set up(s)
Edit. I did not hit the post button
So Stig I am ok for heaters thanks. As for drying, the blanks can sit by the fire for a few weeks
One day I should invest in a moisture metre, at the moment there are a host of jaws, chucks, tools, that are high on the list.... I never knew that GAS (gadget aquire syndrome) would get me whilst wood turning lol
No worries. I'd love a moisture meter but the good ones seem to be fairly expensive, I need to improve my dust collection and air cleaning first, then there's a whole list of tools and stuff I need 😅

Dust uggggr
I know that problem, I have just invested in a dust collector from Charnwood I have been using a converted leaf vag.. but that collected the big stuff but just pumped the find dust round and round

Back