Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just starting a new project, the cherry burl sage inspired me. Mine is to use wood recovered from the sea.
Picked up a 4ft log today, chain saw out and have 6 cut pieces, three of these are now rounds, that are sitting on the fire surround to dry out.
If you wanted to dry them faster you could either put them in the oven at 100C and check on them every half hour or so or a quicker method is to weigh them, put them in the microwave forb30 seconds at a time, keep weighing them until they stop losing weight.
One thing to be aware of if doing the microwave method, pill bugs don't die in the microwave, last time I dried some birch this way I had several of them come out of the wood once I started turning it.

Ahh a youngster then
Stig thanks for the ideas on drying the wood. Trouble is I don’t know what it is or what it may have absorbed whilst in the sea. I don’t want to put it in/on something that I use for our food.... got me thinking about building a closed box with a heater 20w bar heater ... slow steady heat, hope it does not crack

Last edited:
Ahh a youngster then
Stig thanks for the ideas on drying the wood. Trouble is I don’t know what it is or what it may have absorbed whilst in the sea. I don’t want to put it in/on something that I use for our food.... got me thinking about building a closed box with a heater 20w bar heater ... slow steady heat, hope it does not crack
I have a couple of bar heaters going spare if you need them,eventually I'll build my own drying box but don't have anywhere to put one.

Back