Partition quandary

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlhealey

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently repositioning and fitting a kitchen after I discovered a slow leak. I've got a tiny budget to do it and after removing the kitchen this week, am starting to rebuild it this week.

I've got a partitioning stud wall to put up and intend to insulate it with soundproof rockwool. I'm struggling to find information online about whether or not I need to use a VCL in an internal wall (most seems to say yes but then doesn't specify whether the VCL should be on both sides, whether foil backed plasterboard or semipermeable membrane is appropriate (one side will be kitchen, the other bathroom).

Piggybacking on this, if anyone has any recommendations regarding most appropriate type of plasterboard, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance (sorry I'm so green!)

Hi all,

I'm currently repositioning and fitting a kitchen after I discovered a slow leak. I've got a tiny budget to do it and after removing the kitchen this week, am starting to rebuild it this week.

I've got a partitioning stud wall to put up and intend to insulate it with soundproof rockwool. I'm struggling to find information online about whether or not I need to use a VCL in an internal wall (most seems to say yes but then doesn't specify whether the VCL should be on both sides, whether foil backed plasterboard or semipermeable membrane is appropriate (one side will be kitchen, the other bathroom).

Piggybacking on this, if anyone has any recommendations regarding most appropriate type of plasterboard, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance (sorry I'm so green!)
If you are going to use a VCL it might as well be on both sides as foil backed plaster board.
If you want a good degree of sound proofing than the classic is the double stud wall. Not twice as thick as the studs are staggered between each other. https://www.diydata.com/general_building/sound_partition/partition_proof.php
Another step up is double layer of plaster board, either side or both sides. Sheer mass is sound insulating.

The answers depend on the finish on the kitchen and bathroom sides, the acoustic perfomance you require and the space available.

You could put 15mm sound plasterboard both sides along with the rockwool, which is thinner than the double stud wall.

If you are to tile the wall or put cement backer board on it, it will not be vapour-permeable on the bathroom side. Similarly, what will be on the kitchen side? If it is base unit, worktop, tile strip, wall unit and a small gap above the wall unit, there will be very little wall exposed to vapour.

If you are to fix wall units to the kitchen side, consider a timber-on-its-side-noggin or plywood strip in order to make fixing the units more secure.

If you are going to use a VCL it might as well be on both sides as foil backed plaster board.
If you want a good degree of sound proofing than the classic is the double stud wall. Not twice as thick as the studs are staggered between each other. https://www.diydata.com/general_building/sound_partition/partition_proof.php
Another step up is double layer of plaster board, either side or both sides. Sheer mass is sound insulating.
Thanks so much for this, really helpful- especially re double stud wall!

The answers depend on the finish on the kitchen and bathroom sides, the acoustic perfomance you require and the space available.

You could put 15mm sound plasterboard both sides along with the rockwool, which is thinner than the double stud wall.

If you are to tile the wall or put cement backer board on it, it will not be vapour-permeable on the bathroom side. Similarly, what will be on the kitchen side? If it is base unit, worktop, tile strip, wall unit and a small gap above the wall unit, there will be very little wall exposed to vapour.

If you are to fix wall units to the kitchen side, consider a timber-on-its-side-noggin or plywood strip in order to make fixing the units more secure.
Thank you so much for this, it was incredibly helpful in gaging how much I need to factor in the impact of vapour. I've erred on the side of caution and gone for 15mm foil backed board on the kitchen side and moisture resistant on the bathroom side as at the moment, I've not confirmed wall finishes on either side. There will be base and wall units on the kitchen side though. There is 100mm soundproof Rockwool in between. Logic being that over-engineering to mitigate any potential for movement of existing vapour within the wall and minimise potential for any additional moisture to penetrate. Plasterer thought it was overkill but not detrimental.

Your suggestion about the noggins side on for wall unit mounting is the best tip I've ever heard and I took it forward.

Back