Home library

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
using Two Fussy Blokes rollers (the red ones), more than happy with the result
When you say the "Red" ones @Doug71 are these the ones you have used:

rollers.jpg

My partner does all our finishing and she swears by them, tried lots of other options but far superior result with these:

When you say the "Red" ones @Doug71 are these the ones you have used:

View attachment 184831

My partner does all our finishing and she swears by them, tried lots of other options but far superior result with these:

Yes they are the ones.

I used to avoid the finishing side of things, always said I'm a joiner not a painter but was becoming increasingly frustrated at the mess painters made of my lovely creations. I was thinking about getting a spraying set up but someone recommended I try these rollers, I'm more than happy with the finish I get with them so now often do the painting myself (y)

Yes they are the ones.

I used to avoid the finishing side of things, always said I'm a joiner not a painter but was becoming increasingly frustrated at the mess painters made of my lovely creations. I was thinking about getting a spraying set up but someone recommended I try these rollers, I'm more than happy with the finish I get with them so now often do the painting myself (y)
I've tried the spraying. From the £150 set to the £600. Realised that it becomes cost effective when you enter the £1000+ machine and do kitchens ie full cabinets, doors, drawer fronts etc. for anything less I can't see the time saving when you factor in the time to tape up etc. I just just my sprayers for the initial most coats.

For the joinery, I've found the bog standard foam roller to be absolutely fine BUT I've seen some pictures Vs these Fussy Blokes ones and they look insanely good

Quick update, back from holiday (North Wales is lovely!), wood filler where needed, Zinsser 123 first coat primer, sanded, horrible day of caulking, crown primer & undercoat on today, colour tomorrow.

Where you see white it will be colour washed with the green. First time doing coving and found it significantly more difficult than skirting. Skirting you get the room level/flat first, coving you need to adjust to 3D wonkiness plus working at height doesn't agree with me.

Hopefully get 2 top coats and light fixtures fitted before the weekend.

1000036322.jpg
1000036323.jpg
1000036324.jpg

@Mjward are you having an open day when it is all done so we can come round and take a look ?
And see all the mistakes?🤣 Although I was quite proud it only took 2 tubes of caulk. Well below my average.

Jokes aside, I'm happy with 99% of it. The 1% was a shocker of a day, don't know how it happened, must have accidentally slipped the dial but my 32mm nail gun decided to penetrate through 36mm of wood around the door section. Didn't realise until I'd fired a dozen nails and found a few protruding. Knocked what I could back but as you know, once ply is penetrated you're kinda f****d.

Always happy for visitors & sunshine beers 😁

Quick update, back from holiday (North Wales is lovely!), wood filler where needed, Zinsser 123 first coat primer, sanded, horrible day of caulking, crown primer & undercoat on today, colour tomorrow.

Where you see white it will be colour washed with the green. First time doing coving and found it significantly more difficult than skirting. Skirting you get the room level/flat first, coving you need to adjust to 3D wonkiness plus working at height doesn't agree with me.

Hopefully get 2 top coats and light fixtures fitted before the weekend.

View attachment 185575View attachment 185576View attachment 185577
Looking good, cigars and brandy later.

Looking great, I always think that the coving/cornice going up makes a massive difference, it just kind of finishes things off (y)

Looking great, I always think that the coving/cornice going up makes a massive difference, it just kind of finishes things off (y)
Agree although was first and probably last time I'm using MDF skirting, back to pine for me.

Switched for 2 reasons (1) local merchants had the two heights I wanted in MDF only and (2) liked the idea of pre primed to save time.

Unfortunately it was only pre primed ie not sanded and where the profile had been cut was super rough. I start sanding and quickly learn this normal MDF is nothing like the MR MDF I've been using and edges quickly went to mush🤦🏻‍♂️

That's was a long day. 12 hours of sanding and painting without a break but a ridiculous amount of cutting in and always like to get a coat down in one day.

Looks a bit rough as first of the top coats but tomorrow will start to come together with a (hopefully) final top coat then I'll wire in the lights Friday

1000036554.jpg
1000036555.jpg
1000036558.jpg
1000036556.jpg
1000036557.jpg

This is looking great.

I did a wall of builtins around 2 chimney breasts back in our old place. The painting drove me nuts. :LOL:

This is looking great.

I did a wall of builtins around 2 chimney breasts back in our old place. The painting drove me nuts. :LOL:
I can imagine. As I'm building it I think "oh can't wait to get this painted" and fail to remember every bloody time how much I loathe the painting part

I agree, it's looking good. But I do have one cavil: my eye keeps getting drawn to what seems to be a visually uncomfortable cutting off of the border at the top of the window, especially as the horizontal architrave above the door isn't similarly covered or hidden. Slainte.
That bit above the window still looks a bit visually off, I'm afraid, even now that you're painting it all. I understand your reasoning for doing what you've done, but my eye keeps getting drawn to the incongruity of the look. Slainte.

Back