Home library

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hurry up and finish, can't wait for the final pics. As already said, looking good.
Sound like my wife! I got the "you've almost finished haven't you?" this morning. I then ran through the list of the main skirting, the bookcase apron skirting, the panelling, the coving, the sanding as well as architrave for 2 doorways the other side of the room 😀 aiming to get the sorted next week as then away for summer hols and can get it painted up and "finished"

Umm....zoom in... happened last week
Missed that, If I'd have been there it would have probably been destroyed by now, I have a bit of a repution for it.

Boring tale, job in the City of London, prestige office refurb on the XXth floor, unloaded a stack of lengths of timber into reception, started putting them in the lift, loads of people then turn up, security guard tells me to bail out, got the hump, slung timber on shoulder, walked out of lift, stood them up, crash, chandelier glass crashing down on top of all the suits.

Found another job the next week....

Missed that, If I'd have been there it would have probably been destroyed by now, I have a bit of a repution for it.

Boring tale, job in the City of London, prestige office refurb on the XXth floor, unloaded a stack of lengths of timber into reception, started putting them in the lift, loads of people then turn up, security guard tells me to bail out, got the hump, slung timber on shoulder, walked out of lift, stood them up, crash, chandelier glass crashing down on top of all the suits.

Found another job the next week....
😂😂 Love that! You were in the right, hate when trades in lifts have to make way for the suits, absolute nonsense and I used to be a suit!!

Sound like my wife! I got the "you've almost finished haven't you?" this morning. I then ran through the list of the main skirting, the bookcase apron skirting, the panelling, the coving, the sanding as well as architrave for 2 doorways the other side of the room 😀 aiming to get the sorted next week as then away for summer hols and can get it painted up and "finished"
When my better half want's something done she says " go on you do things so quick, won't take you long"

Last edited:
What type of ply are you using ? I cannot find how you have dealt with the edges except

The only thing I'm suffering from is not having a thicknesser/planer as the hardwood shelf edge material is "mostly" straight.
Could you detail more on the choice of materials please .

What type of ply are you using ? I cannot find how you have dealt with the edges except

Could you detail more on the choice of materials please .
Hardwood plywood. Local merchants seem to source good enough stuff for my eyes that hasn't triggered a need to pay up for birch (yet).

The edges are all covered, the ply shelves have a Sapele lip that I've domino/glued in place. The shelves aren't that wide so sagging not a concern but that Sapele lip will help. The outer carcass edges are all covered by the redwood face frame (this will be painted).

Additionally where I have large exposed sides (ie around window and door area), I've added MR MDF. It gets me to the double thickness (2x 18mm) to match the carcasses next to each other but also gives me a lovely surface to paint.

Hopefully a bit clearer in this picture

1000032169.jpg

Agree. Had to be done to have enough space for top boxes and coving but it was a sacrifice that ideally would be avoided.

I've got some panelling to do on the underside of the top box over the window as well as the sides, so fingers and toes crossed that once painted it's not such an obvious eyesore
I would be inclined to cut the top off the architrave and insert a flat block, smaller than but similar to the detail at the bottom. This should make each side appear as a complete, stand-alone feature, rather than a surround/frame with the top cut off.
Alternatively, it may be an opportunity to remove the two bits of architrave, build a window seat and simply panel the area between the window and bookcases, painting it to match the bookcases instead of the walls. This way the white window will be entirely enclosed by the cabinetry.

Last edited:
Quick update: pocket doors fitted despite worst instructions I've ever come across (first time using a forstner bit, they're good!), panelling up, main skirting plus library skirting/apron, added blocks for light fittings and decorative strip, architrave up and a lot of nail holes filled and sanded.

Off on hols but looking forward to finishing this off when I get back.

Still deliberating on architrave cut off around window but decided to get it paint, see how it looks etc

1000032483.jpg
1000032482.jpg
1000032583.jpg
1000032584.jpg
1000032588.jpg
1000032514.jpg

Quick update: pocket doors fitted despite worst instructions I've ever come across (first time using a forstner bit, they're good!), panelling up, main skirting plus library skirting/apron, added blocks for light fittings and decorative strip, architrave up and a lot of nail holes filled and sanded.

Off on hols but looking forward to finishing this off when I get back.

Still deliberating on architrave cut off around window but decided to get it paint, see how it looks etc

View attachment 184774View attachment 184775View attachment 184776View attachment 184777View attachment 184778View attachment 184780
Are you planning to install a curtain or blind at the window? If so you could bring the trim work across at ceiling which would create a valance to hide a curtain rod or blind mechanism. Just a thought.

Pocket doors look good and I agree they are a pain in the bleep!

Are you planning to install a curtain or blind at the window? If so you could bring the trim work across at ceiling which would create a valance to hide a curtain rod or blind mechanism. Just a thought.

Pocket doors look good and I agree they are a pain in the bleep!
Good idea but current plan is no curtain/blind etc. not clear from that pic but view is great and it's north facing ie never get direct sunlight into the room.

Suspect it will be one of those things I just accept/slightly irks me and other woodworkers but not picked up by 99.99% of visitors etc 😀😀😀

Good idea but current plan is no curtain/blind etc. not clear from that pic but view is great and it's north facing ie never get direct sunlight into the room.

Suspect it will be one of those things I just accept/slightly irks me and other woodworkers but not picked up by 99.99% of visitors etc 😀😀😀
Completely understand, the space above is more important.

How are you painting it all, spray or brush? Enjoy your holiday!
Brush & 4" roller. Trying the fussy bloke sleeves for the first time as apparently get you the closest to a spray finish without obviously spraying so will update once I've given them a try.

My go-to paint is Crown Fast Flow Quick-Dry satin. I've tried a lot and it's just brilliant coverage. I get Paint Shed to colour match to F&B colours.

Brush & 4" roller. Trying the fussy bloke sleeves for the first time as apparently get you the closest to a spray finish without obviously spraying so will update once I've given them a try.

I've just painted some cabinets I made for a customer using Two Fussy Blokes rollers (the red ones), more than happy with the result (y)

Latest posts

Back