Old boat needs saving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a good project for someone for very little money. It says it was built in Denmark and I thought it was going to say it was sailed across in the second WW as that did happen! I know of a lovely old solid Oak yacht that did just that, still in use now.
Ian

A brave person if anyone takes it on, Most boat yards / marinas won't allow wooden boats in as most get abandoned , Then the yard has to deal with whats left.

I think it would be cheaper and take less time to build a new one!

All true, but, there’s two types of people, those that like making/fixing and those that like using- in this case are you a boat restorer or a sailor? Regarding the boat, it is a rare thing this side of the North Sea, notwithstanding its very early date, it is a long-keel, double ended hull, small enough to trailer and properly restored will be very pretty. Doesn’t appear to have any sails, so that’s likely the biggest single outlay,

Last edited:
I was a sailor, and since retiring have seriously considered a boat restoration project. There are literally lots of boats for free that are in need of serious attention both wood and glass. After a fair bit of looking I decided that for the majority the cost was more than simply building a new one, or indeed buying a boat which needed a small amount of TLC. After taking stock, I’ve been looking for a set of plans for a Drascomb Luger that used to be sold, and now are no longer available. I spent a very wet and pleasant season teaching sailing mostly in a Drascomb. I’m sure someone will have a set stashed in the back of drawer waiting to be rediscovered.

All true, but, there’s two types of people, those that like making/fixing and those that like using- in this case are you a boat restorer or a sailor?

Or both..?

I have been watching this channel from the very beginning https://youtube.com/@sampsonboatco?si=e-9O2KngYO1GmsBw
He started this about 7 years ago and bought the boat for One Dollar.

Although I'm not into sailing as such, ( my Father was, as he was a Master Marriner) I have found it fascinating as he has gone through the complete process of the rebuild. I highly recommend anyone to watch a few episodes,......It is quite enthralling! 👍

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack the thread but it brought many fond memories, I took on the restoration of an old composite Wayfarer that turned into an epic long term challenge, it finally took over 12 years to get her back on the water !!!
The whole process was hugely satisfying but sadly now my sons have grown up and moved away she really needs to find a new home.

bramble 001.jpg

bramble nov 2006 001.jpg

Bramble Launch 2.JPG

DSC03022.JPG

Here's a link to my Blog that shows some of the work:
https://wayfarerbramble.blogspot.com/2007/02/wayfarer-w3035-found-in-bushes-and.html

I was a sailor, and since retiring have seriously considered a boat restoration project. There are literally lots of boats for free that are in need of serious attention both wood and glass. After a fair bit of looking I decided that for the majority the cost was more than simply building a new one, or indeed buying a boat which needed a small amount of TLC. After taking stock, I’ve been looking for a set of plans for a Drascomb Luger that used to be sold, and now are no longer available. I spent a very wet and pleasant season teaching sailing mostly in a Drascomb. I’m sure someone will have a set stashed in the back of drawer waiting to be rediscovered.
You certainly have the room for a boat build deema!

Yes new build of something nice and small makes more sense and could save a fortune. I had a wrecked restoration project Enterprise dinghy taking up half my workshop for a year but had to let it go!
I used to sail a lot in the channel (crew/navigator on an H boat) and lots of yards seemed to have at least one retired old geezer engaged in a long term restoration, living aboard and going nowhere, except the pub. Could be worse!

Last edited:
A brave person if anyone takes it on, Most boat yards / marinas won't allow wooden boats in as most get abandoned , Then the yard has to deal with whats left.
That is very much the case in the USA, here it isnt so bad. Problem here in UK is boatyard & marina costs are getting very high & yard storage fees add up to the point its a heavy drain on any budget. Our local boatyard charges 70p per foot per week so for a 25ft boat about 20 quid with vat.
A marina would cost far more, a mate has a 41 footer in a Marina on the river Orwell & it costs £936 a month!!
But there are clubs where such things can be done & where storage is reasonable, Our club is Benfleet Yacht club, first class facilities, slipway, crane, tractors, storage, building, clubhouse, bar, showers etc.

The upside of wooden boats is they are easily broken up & either burnt or disposed of. Contrast this with the vast number of GRP boats abandoned in every yard in the country, a nightmare to break up & dispose of.

Getting back to the boat, She is a really pretty thing & looks like she would sail beautifully. A few years back i would have grabbed that project like a shot, But i have two already to finish & cannot take another one on.
If anyone is seriously interested worth getting one of the Wooden boat builders trade association members to give her the once over.

Sorry to hijack the thread but it brought many fond memories, I took on the restoration of an old composite Wayfarer that turned into an epic long term challenge, it finally took over 12 years to get her back on the water !!!
The whole process was hugely satisfying but sadly now my sons have grown up and moved away she really needs to find a new home.

Here's a link to my Blog that shows some of the work:
https://wayfarerbramble.blogspot.com/2007/02/wayfarer-w3035-found-in-bushes-and.html

Thanks for posting that you really have done a fantastic job.

I've currently taken on the task of restoring my Dad's dinghy which he owned for 30 years before he abandoned for 2 years before he died. Prior to that he did virtually no maintenance on it (or did it badly). There's a hole in the boat that needs fixing and other leaks everywhere else needs a new paint job too, centre board, the list goes on and on and on. I don't have any experience in fibreglass either so it's certainly a challenge.

IMG-20240415-WA0001.jpg

Thanks for posting that you really have done a fantastic job.

I've currently taken on the task of restoring my Dad's dinghy which he owned for 30 years before he abandoned for 2 years before he died. Prior to that he did virtually no maintenance on it (or did it badly). There's a hole in the boat that needs fixing and other leaks everywhere else needs a new paint job too, centre board, the list goes on and on and on. I don't have any experience in fibreglass either so it's certainly a challenge.

View attachment 187175
It'll be worth it and far better than old boats ending up as planters filled with flowers on a roundabout 😆!!

That is very much the case in the USA, here it isnt so bad. Problem here in UK is boatyard & marina costs are getting very high & yard storage fees add up to the point its a heavy drain on any budget. Our local boatyard charges 70p per foot per week so for a 25ft boat about 20 quid with vat.
A marina would cost far more, a mate has a 41 footer in a Marina on the river Orwell & it costs £936 a month!!
But there are clubs where such things can be done & where storage is reasonable, Our club is Benfleet Yacht club, first class facilities, slipway, crane, tractors, storage, building, clubhouse, bar, showers etc.

The upside of wooden boats is they are easily broken up & either burnt or disposed of. Contrast this with the vast number of GRP boats abandoned in every yard in the country, a nightmare to break up & dispose of.

Getting back to the boat, She is a really pretty thing & looks like she would sail beautifully. A few years back i would have grabbed that project like a shot, But i have two already to finish & cannot take another one on.
If anyone is seriously interested worth getting one of the Wooden boat builders trade association members to give her the once over.
I know it well , Benfleet Yacht Club, You must know Ian Barrett

It'll be worth it and far better than old boats ending up as planters filled with flowers on a roundabout 😆!!

A bunch of my artist friends suggested turning it into a bench for the garden and a couple of members of the yacht club where it is stored said it would be more cost effective to get a cheap second hand boat. It took months to decide what to do in the end.

It says the metal is corroded, keel needs replacing, the mast was cut in two and is split along the entire length (ie needs a new mast and rig) and there are no sails. It's a huge job to restore, far from straightforward even though only 16ft long. The log burner beckons I fear.

Latest posts

Back