Old boat needs saving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bunch of my artist friends suggested turning it into a bench for the garden and a couple of members of the yacht club where it is stored said it would be more cost effective to get a cheap second hand boat. It took months to decide what to do in the end.
Or part of it as an office desk,

for sure it’s a money pit, and a long term rebuild but every boat is a money pit - my favourite definition of a boat is “a hole in the water which you try and fill with money “. If you were looking for a wooden boat restoration project, this is a manageable one but you do need your eyes wide open and do the maths. For me, it’s my time, transport, several hundred fastenings, marine grade paints, marine grade adhesives, and sails (I’d go sprit sail for ease of towing) and rigging. I’ve got the tools and timber. I’d carefully check the hood ends and stem and stern posts for rot and I’d gamble on the keel being ok. I’d reckon on 3 years and probably take 5. Someone I once knew thought his 60ft steel hull would be manageable because the hull was perfect…he worked on it tirelessly for years but it never hit the water☹️ The biggest plus , in my eyes, is no engine, so no ancillaries, no through-hull fixings, but I would have to learn how to caulk all those seams.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back