Are we being ripped off by tool retailers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some important insights regarding the challenges faced by UK retailers, particularly in manufacturing. The costs associated with producing goods in the UK—such as machinery, labour, materials, and energy—have reached levels that, had I known five years ago, might have made me reconsider starting my business. We’re a company that manufactures, rather than simply rebranding Asian tools, but I can see why others choose that route. The reality is that the high costs in the UK make it difficult to compete.

While some imported tools may do their job, customer service is often where they fall short compared to UK-based businesses. Supporting British companies goes beyond profit—it’s about ensuring a continued presence of local manufacturers. If we don’t support UK manufacturing, we risk losing it entirely, just as we've lost so many great companies in the past. When it's gone, people will regret that nothing is being made locally anymore.

I’ve had great experiences with companies like Axminster and Woodworkers Workshop, where the service is top-notch. Let’s not lose that by opting for cheaper alternatives from countries with lower labour costs. Supporting brands like Benchdogs, and other UK-based manufacturers, helps keep the industry alive.

If you want to support local manufacturing, choose products made in the UK, and even from places like the US and Canada. These choices make a difference.

Latest posts

Back