No Fault Evictions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob, I can't work out if you are omniscient and infallible or ranthoneous and belligerent. Irrespective, I will refrain from further comment on this subject and return to my workshop to make progress in that regard.
Best wishes

Steve
None of the above - I'm just trying to get my head around stuff!
It's useful checking the facts e.g. on your claims made for the Laffer Curve and so on. Not my fault it turned out to be nonsense!
Too many people lazily believe just what they want to believe. Excusable of course - it takes time and there is a massive industry of misinformation out there, often with malign intent, not simply due to ignorance.

Last edited:
Been a letting agent the last 23 years in nottingham where licensing has been running on all housing for at least 7 years. Seen good tenants and bad tenants, seen good landlords and bad landlords. Helped build property and also renovated 100s of houses. Many bought from housing association whom wont manage older stock due to the decent homes standard making them unviable. After all this time i would conclude that the current situation is linked closely to population number, age of population increasing and lack of building. In a city businesses need readily available housing to have workers for expansion and many younger people arent settled and need rental stock. I would confirm that few landlords s21 tenants its normally a cheaper way of removing bad tenants. As a s8 meand the tenant cant be rehoused as when they get referenced it comes up.., long term removing no fault will mean many tenants wont get rehoused. Rents are crazy at present as many housing associations effectively charge market rent and landlords are exiting. It will get fixed if we build more housing. I have to say jacob cant be young as he is arguing about a mythical world that is not the uk. We are a capitalist society and he is right about housing being a social problem but we are the wrong society, as housing is many people saving and we are obsessed as a nation. In many respects the rental situation has been caused by the plus 60s. When they got there pension payouts many got a lumpsum that they invested in property to prop up the pension, which is still the main driver in nottingham for investment purchaser. So in effect the young are paying the lifestyle of the older generation . If i was over 60 which i am not, i would strongly stay out of the rental argument as that generation remains the originator of btl ( buy to let) and also oversaw many of the policies which have cause the current problem. I would happily see a fairer rental market and the last governemnts solution was a good step innteh right direction. However it will result in many prs landlords not taking tennats in benefits which is an issue. Only renting houses that you have built is the kind of silly idea that someone who lives in the conytryside chatting with their mates who nlknow nothing about cities would come up with. Nice idea but not practical or based in reality. Sorry to hear about the evictions some people have had, court system is a joke its 11 months sometimes in notts to get the bailiffs in the end, then that landlord never is generous again or takes tennats on benefits. Many tenants just cant navigate the benefit system which now housing benefit goes to tenants is just fueling the problem. Hope i havent offended anyone but its a hot mess

..... After all this time i would conclude that the current situation is linked closely to population number, ...
Of course it is and always will be.
But misses the point entirely as the big issue is how to provide homes for them, however many there are and whoever they happen to be.
Reducing immigration is a grossly simplistic answer and even if implemented would create new issues or simply shift the problem elsewhere (but not Rwanda thanks to a sudden and uncharacteristic burst of common sense from Starmer! 🤣 )

.....silly idea that someone who lives in the conytryside chatting with their mates who nlknow nothing about cities would come up with.....
I was brought up on a council estate and later lived in Nottingham myself for seven years, and many other places. Not unfamiliar with housing issues myself - my children and grand-children are now facing these issues.
We are a capitalist society
About 50%.
And that 50% is subject to constraints and control by the state, not to mention support, investment, infrastructure, education, R&D and many other things
and he is right about housing being a social problem but we are the wrong society, as housing is many people saving and we are obsessed as a nation.
Thatcher's "property owning democracy" wove capitalism into society, for the lucky ones. This was her intention.
It would be difficult to reverse, but not impossible.

Last edited:
Jacob, I can't work out if you are omniscient and infallible or ranthoneous and belligerent. Irrespective, I will refrain from further comment on this subject and return to my workshop to make progress in that regard.
Best wishes

Steve
I confess that I cannot find the word "ranthoneous" in any dictionary on-line.
Could be because I'm from the south, but my father was raised in Pontefract, and liked an obscure word now and then, and he never used it, to my knowledge.

I confess that I cannot find the word "ranthoneous" in any dictionary on-line.
Could be because I'm from the south, but my father was raised in Pontefract, and liked an obscure word now and then, and he never used it, to my knowledge.
ranthoneous - a contentious person who is underknowledged in a field he thinks he is an expert in and will fly into angry rants when his incorrect statements are corrected by those who are actually experts or at least well versed in the field.

I had to look it up. Now my favourite word of the day.

"ranthoneous" splendid word indeed - as a dyslexic I assumed it meant related to a rhinoceros or capable of causing similar posterior discomfort. you have no idea the words spell check gave me before I found Rhino

I couldn't find any link to it's origins, or derivation. I can only guess that it combines "Rant" and "oneous", with the extra "h" to smooth things over. :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot_2024-08-06-13-13-54-342_com.android.chrome.jpg

All the references go back to the same web page. Somebody made it up(OK, I know all words are made up...).
But at least a useful, and slightly humorous, one this time. Some that have been added to the lexicon in recent years should have been left to wither.

This is ChatGTPs view on new words.

Determining the "most useless" word added to the English lexicon is subjective and depends on personal perspective. However, one word that has sparked debate is "cheugy." This term, used to describe something that is out of date or trying too hard, especially in the context of millennial trends, has been criticized for being overly specific and not universally understood. Critics argue that it doesn't add significant value to the language and may not have lasting power.

Perhaps we could apply cheugy to some residents of this establishment 😂

Of course it is and always will be.
But misses the point entirely as the big issue is how to provide homes for them, however many there are and whoever they happen to be.
Reducing immigration is a grossly simplistic answer and even if implemented would create new issues or simply shift the problem elsewhere (but not Rwanda thanks to a sudden and uncharacteristic burst of common sense from Starmer! 🤣 )

I was brought up on a council estate and later lived in Nottingham myself for seven years, and many other places. Not unfamiliar with housing issues myself - my children and grand-children are now facing these issues.

About 50%.
And that 50% is subject to constraints and control by the state, not to mention support, investment, infrastructure, education, R&D and many other things

Thatcher's "property owning democracy" wove capitalism into society, for the lucky ones. This was her intention.
It would be difficult to reverse, but not impossible.
It was a great idea and a way to offload rentable housing stock to people who wouldn't have been able to own their own home any other way. It was pronbably cost-effective too, as all the maintanance costs for the councils were gone.
I think 50% might be a low number considering everybody would, if they could. join that group, and if you have a pension fund, whether privtate or company, your money is used to speculate on the market for profit.

Best wishes

Steve
Jacob's comments are mostly just opinions veiled as assertions. Most other commenters use the 'pinch of salt' strategy.

Driven hither by objective influences, thither by subjective emotions, wafted one moment into blazing day, by mocking hope, plunged the next into the Cimmerian darkness of tangible despair, Jacob is but a living ganglion of irreconcilable antagonisms.

(Courtesy of Gilbert & Sullivan)

Back