New Diesel & Petrol Ban

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not the legality it's the political ineptitude in being seen to allow people/organisations to ingratiate themselves.
Not least because the people who matter most, namely the party membership, have been leaving/thrown-out in droves and taken their membership fee funding with them.
Under Corbyn membership numbers and party finances reached a peak, and he still remains as having been the most popular Labour party leader this century. It's been downhill ever since.

Why do we not allow police and the judiciary to accept gifts?

Because they're inherently less trustworthy than politicians?

Or because the practice carries inherent moral hazard?

I would say that if the police cannot be trusted to accept gifts then neither can politicians.

Yes, it may very well be within the "rules" as they stand now but those rules were made a very long time ago for people who viewed public service as a vocation (Churchill, Eden, Heath, Wilson) not a path to personal wealth.

While many MPs still may view public service as a vocation, we have seen numerous egregious examples in the very recent past of MPs for whom public service was a route to riches.

Therefore I would suggest, going forward, MPs should be held to the same standard as the police & judiciary.

Or at the *very* least, the same as the civil service.

View attachment 189667

I'm Armed Forces. I understand explicitly why the Public Sector are not permitted to accept gifts.

And it isn't anything to do with "trustworthiness". Nothing at all, and in fact the Police and the Judiciary are, if anything "more trustworthy" than Joe Bloggs.. And I can substantiate that with hard evidence.

Persons within those roles and with those responsibilities have undergone wide reaching Security Checks. For instance - I have what is known as a "Developed Vetting". My background, personal life, family, finances, associations with foreigners and organisations, etc, have been scrutinised in detail to substantiate whether I am actually trustworthy enough to hold a high level Security Clearance to be able to be given "frequent and unsupervised access to Top Secret material"... I undergo yearly Security Appraisals as well as the 7-to-10 year full and detailed scrutinisation. I am also required to inform the Service if any of my material circumstances change - such details as any significant money received from any source, or associations with foreign nationals.

So I can substantiate that a professional agency has scrutinised me closely and have taken the active judgement that I am trustworthy.

So to completely refute your words, with conviction, this is nothing to do with "trustworthiness", nothing at all. You are categorically wrong to imply this.

The real reason is that it is a matter of "optics".

Although I have been actively stamped up as trustworthy, it is a matter of whether something might "appear" to be an inducement to provide more favourable behaviour. It's silly, really, but I guess this is where we are when the general public swallow the "silliness" of the bent biased press. The silly and sometimes stupid and gullible general public who are incapable of thinking or of analysis.

In the end you just have to ask yourself one single and simple question - why is it that Starmer is taking a huge string of criticism, when this "gift" subject has not been raised once in the previous 10 years, (despite his gifts being dwarfed in value by most of the cabinet members of the previous government)?

People with a propensity to use their own brain and powers of analysis, with complete dispassion, instead of being guided by bias or led by biased (bad) actors, would conclude the only credible answer to that question:

Deliberate fabricated bad press.

That said, I'm out - I can no longer bear to engage with the gibberish and biased hogwash that people are precipitating on this story, because it is nothing short of absurd.

I honestly am lost for words here - it's completely bizarre when someone continues to argue from a matter of opinion which is completely at odds with observable reality.
Obviously I'm bereft that my opinion has caused you such an upset :dunno:
Observable reality demands and requires that if something is done completely within the letter of the rules and the law, then it is also "right and proper".

Conflating YOUR opinion of what you believe to be "right and proper" is not relevant to the FACT that no corruption has taken place, which means CATEGORICALLY and completely indisputably Starmer has not been in any way been hypocritical.
If your red mist would allow you to read what I've said you'll see I've not said any rules have been broken. If you look at some of the wider discussion on here you"ll also see that while Starmer may not have been my ideal choice(which didn't exist) I'm not anti-Starmer. That doesn't change the fact that my opinion is that he's been hypocritical or naive in promising to clean up politics and then being found to be accepting sizeable personal gifts. Rules and laws don't have to be broken for someone to be hypocritical.
The real story here *ought to be* the power of the bent media to basically fabricate a biased opinion piece and imply (for the hard of thinking and stupid, this means that they are being taken into a lie) that there is something untoward going on - and deliberately conflating right and proper behaviour (FACT, not OPINION) with the evidenced and factual corruption that was taking place routinely under the previous government.
I agree in part - the media have gone looking for a story. I bet they didn't expect it would be so easy to find it. Ironically the previous lot are still ahead if we were running a league table of sleaziness but the old adage of two wrongs not making a right applies. I also think this is a massive distraction from more important issues.
It is such a shame that thicko and biased and thicko-biased people are taken in by this and cannot see through the deliberate lies and fallacies. It's pitiful.
As you like rules you may want to take a look at the forum rules and what they say about keeping it civil and respectful.
Nothing at all, and in fact the Police and the Judiciary are, if anything "more trustworthy" than Joe Bloggs
That's quite a sweeping statement. Possibly Stephen Lawrence's mother and the parents of Sarah Everard don't share your confidence?

Anyway, I hope you get over your disbelief that someone has a different opinion to you. ;)

Back