Nearly put this in the joke thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the same logic, there would already be lots of overpowered pedelecs running around, that are > 250w or can go faster than 15mph.

"Powered" bicycles are already allowed up to 250W and below 15 mph. The problem is the silly requirement to have pedals, which effectively bans e-scooters for no good reason.

Its not for no good reason, just that you dont want to see the reason....... its not a bicycle if you dont cycle it. Obviously it a powered vehicle. Its clearly about where you draw a line, as i said above, those who are in favour of these 'ebikes' that arent bicycles dont want to see them regulated in any way, just like i didnt want my minimoto being persecuted for being fun.....

Its not for no good reason, just that you dont want to see the reason....... its not a bicycle if you dont cycle it. Obviously it a powered vehicle. Its clearly about where you draw a line, as i said above, those who are in favour of these 'ebikes' that arent bicycles dont want to see them regulated in any way, just like i didnt want my minimoto being persecuted for being fun.....

Why is it so important to "cycle"? I have not seen any compelling reason why pedaling makes any difference from a safety perspective, and the rule essentially bans all other forms of similarly low powered transportation, such as e-Scooters. Restrictions on power/speed/acceleration make sense, but the bit about pedals is silly, and arbitrary.

In any case times are changing, and more and more people are looking for alternatives to cars, and you'll have a hard time convincing me that the government has a legitimate reason to regulate "vehicles" that go under 15mph. A fit person can sprint that fast for short periods.

Why is it so important to "cycle"?

Its not important to me, but its about a distinction.... a moped was called a moped because it was a motor powered pedal bike. This is no longer true of modern 'mopeds' or scooters.

If you cycled on a standard bike, theres no tax or requirement for insurance etc and as far as im aware, never has been. Pedal bikes have been around since 18something ( i think ). This should stay that way, its the best transport for those who can in terms of environmentally.

You just cant have roadgoing vehicles that arent at the very least, checked periodically for roadworthiness. I am not advocating taxing everything that moves ( i personally think we are wayyyyy over taxed as it is, but our country and the way we have everything set up, costs so much to run )
Whatever way you look at it, theres no clear boundary, but there will have to be. And its likely that they will be regulated in some way, as a blanket measure at some point

You sound a bit disreputable there Paul :LOL:
It was pretty much par for the course for kids who grew up in the countryside. The local policeman knew us all by name and would generally turn up at our house when someone reported a problem with motorbikes. Heck my youngest brother was stopped by a policeman when he was riding his minimoto on a road in Weston-Super-Mare. He was three at the time.
I did switch completely the other way and certainly don’t jump red lights on my bike.
I am feeling somewhat contrite right now as I have just received a speeding ticket. My first motoring offence since 1990, 26 in a 20 limit. I’ve not even had a parking ticket in that time.

Electric Nice to note that UK law remains responsive to changes in technology, social needs, environment etc:

According to 1835, UK Highway Act riding a Personal Light Electric Vehicle on public roads is illegal. Electric scooters and other electric-driven vehicles fall into the category of PLEVs, so you can not ride them on public roads.

Electric scooters are capable of independent motion. Assisted electric bikes need pedals. Electric bike with more a powerful motor without pedals are mopeds requiring helmets, insurance, registration etc.

Perhaps in 1835 it was felt electric vehicles may frighten the horses, just as the railways clearly caused cattle to miscarry and dry up. Ever mindful of public safety, Westminster clearly taken note of the aphorism "act in haste, repent at leisure".

….and I thought this was a woodworking forum? Happy Christmas shavings all 🎄
Whatever gave you that idea? ;)
But yes, Merry Christmas all. Now logout and get yourselves back in the shed using those new tools you convinced yourself*, partner*, wife*, live-in-lover* that you couldn't manage without.

*Delete as necessary.

Back