Nearly put this in the joke thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am fine with limits if they are directly related to safety. Currently, an electric bike is limited to 25kmh. That seems reasonable, but I don't really see any safety benefit to require pedals, or to limit the wattage to something so small. What if you live in a hilly area like Pineapple? What if you have a cargo bike and use it to haul the kids to school? or for shopping? What if you have a bad knee and can't pedal? When the DVLA is getting involved in licensing mobility scooters, it kind of tells you there is a problem, no?
I know nothing about electric bikes but I don’t understand why there needs to be a restriction on speed AND power! If the restriction were just on speed, extra power would be a great for those in hilly areas or dodgy knees etc? Or am I missing the point?

Not sure I agree that they are harmless. A dented car is harm but worse is if a pedestrian is struck.
True

Edit to add: maybe thats the same thing , in that, i didnt see any harm in it at the time because i liked it and it was fun, so it suited me to ignore the issues of tax, insurance etc...... the same as a powered cycle, which is not being cycled, therefore a motorbike

I know nothing about electric bikes but I don’t understand why there needs to be a restriction on speed AND power! If the restriction were just on speed, extra power would be a great for those in hilly areas or dodgy knees etc? Or am I missing the point?
Power in electric vehicle terms usualy has a directly relationship to acceleration. You only have to look at the 0-60 times for electric cars to see this. For a recent ebike example look at the press coverage when Simon Cowell 'crashed' his ebike (actually not a UK ebike it was one of the high powered ones with a throttle). Basicly he hit the throttle and lost control. Those who have used vehicles with a thumb throttle will know only too well that the4y are easy to hit in error. I have an eScooter in my China office for getting about when I am there and have had a number of situations where acceleration and traction have had disagreements.

In the interests of disclosure like @Blackswanwood I was a right pain in the buttocks when I was younger. I rode trials bikes on the roads many years before I had a license, had cars and drove regularly for 5 years before taking a test, had motorbikes with exhausts that could be heard several miles away and generally made a nuisance of myself from the age of about twelve to twenty. With that acknowledged I have no issue with people stretching the boundaries as long as they are aware of it and face the consequences if it comes back to bite them.

Back to the origional topic I am a very firm believer in protection of the most vunerable on our roads and fully support the new priority proposals. I'm happy to suffer a minor inconvenience to my time to ensure that someone else is, and more importantly feels, safe to use the roads. Anyone who doesn't see that basic principle is simply a selfish bully.

Power in electric vehicle terms usualy has a directly relationship to acceleration. You only have to look at the 0-60 times for electric cars to see this. For a recent ebike example look at the press coverage when Simon Cowell 'crashed' his ebike (actually not a UK ebike it was one of the high powered ones with a throttle). Basicly he hit the throttle and lost control. Those who have used vehicles with a thumb throttle will know only too well that the4y are easy to hit in error. I have an eScooter in my China office for getting about when I am there and have had a number of situations where acceleration and traction have had disagreements.

In the interests of disclosure like @Blackswanwood I was a right pain in the buttocks when I was younger. I rode trials bikes on the roads many years before I had a license, had cars and drove regularly for 5 years before taking a test, had motorbikes with exhausts that could be heard several miles away and generally made a nuisance of myself from the age of about twelve to twenty. With that acknowledged I have no issue with people stretching the boundaries as long as they are aware of it and face the consequences if it comes back to bite them.

Back to the origional topic I am a very firm believer in protection of the most vunerable on our roads and fully support the new priority proposals. I'm happy to suffer a minor inconvenience to my time to ensure that someone else is, and more importantly feels, safe to use the roads. Anyone who doesn't see that basic principle is simply a selfish bully.
I wholeheartedly agree with all of this. I also did a lot of stupid things when I was young. That doesn't make it right, or defensible.
I don't cycle much these days, but if your patience is too thin to deal with a few cyclists, almost all of whom also own cars, and thus pay the non-existent road tax, then you probably shouldn't be driving in the first place.

I am struggling to understand the logic that if you are not pedaling and have a throttle then somehow it is more dangerous. Because you are not going to be able to control yourself and are going to go full speed (15 mph) all the time? But somehow if you have pedals then you are magically going to be transformed into a responsible rider? That is just silly.

The law is arbitrary, and the arrival of e-scooters has shown why. FWIW in Saskatchewan the limit for an electric bicycle is 500w, you don't have to pedal, and it cannot go faster than 32km/h on level ground. You need to be 14 or over to ride one and you need a helmet, but other than that, they are treated no different than a regular bicycle. No driving license or registration required (and no tax).

Statistically, they are probably less dangerous then push bikes because you have to wear a helmet. Thinking about it, it would be huge step forward if they made e-scooters under 15mph legal with the proviso that you have to wear a helmet to ride one.
And I would guess that as a consequence of these “light touch” regulations they will be popular, and thats perhaps what we should be trying to achieve, a transformation of our transport habits which because they are new and different will need adjusting to,,just as it was when cars replaced horses. IMO regulations are not the way to go if you want to encourage something.
Steve.

Remember when your mum told you not to play on the road because there were big heavy things on them that would really really hurt you, why is it that as soon as you get a push bike/e-scooter etc you forget this basic knowledge

Electric bikes and scooters generally go no faster than their leg powered equivalents - the risk of personal injury or damage is little different. There is no good rationale for treating them differently from a registration or regulation perspective. Both should be legal at speeds up to (say) 20mph.

Cycling is greener, healthier and cheaper than motoring - rightly encouraged. Regulation and taxation will deter many, and the young may never bother even to take their first bike ride.

There is little benefit in regulation where the resolve to enforce the law is lacking. The police almost completely failed to uphold most Covid regulations where there was a direct risk to life, rarely attend or do anything about trivial theft etc. Not criticising the police who may be under-resourced.

Road or vehicle taxes all go direct to Treasury and are not directly allocated to spend on roads. Taxation policy is designed to (a) in aggregate raise sufficient to fund public expenditure, (b) at least partially recognise the capacity to pay, and (c) moderate behaviours.

In summary - registration and taxation schemes will (a) reduce "greener" behaviours, (b) unlikely to be consistently enforced, (c) raise revenue that may not even cover administration costs. A waste of time and effort, no matter how emotive.

The solution - motorists to fit dash cams etc. Courts to recognise them as evidence in settling any claims rather than simply assuming blame is based on an arbitrary hierarchy.

but DVLA have turned it into a white elephant by declaring it a "MOPED"
Brings back memories, once upon a time your moped had to have pedals to be classed as a moped and be ok to use by a sixteen year old, think Raleigh.

1640386146824.png

and could be pedaled like a bike so can see where they are coming from.

I think the thing is, if you can ride a bike, then you almost instinctively stop pedalling in a danger situation. If you just have a handlebar mounted throttle, you could get into more trouble.

If you had an 'ebike' that was just motor driven, any motorcyclist would be wondering why the ebike is untaxed, un mot'd and uninsured.... it would start with low powered moped owners saying " well hang on, why should i have to abide by the law when they don't " and then there's the inevitable ebike owners who find a workaround to de_restrict the speed ( why wouldnt you?? ) and so again, its about where do you draw the line? There cant be any leeway for mopeds because then other bikers will kick off.

Ultimately if its powered and on a highway, it needs at least, a yearly safety check ( other road vehicles have mot ) and insurance..... maybe even a licence

Except they don't tax electric cars, although they still need to be registered.
Technically, electric cars are taxed, but they are taxed nothing.

And if you don't pay it, you get fined.

I only know this because I get a reminder each year to pay nothing, or else.

Technically, electric cars are taxed, but they are taxed nothing.

And if you don't pay it, you get fined.

I only know this because I get a reminder each year to pay nothing, or else.

I guess it’s just a matter of time before electric cars come with built in telematics (or something similar) and taxation will be based upon distance travelled. The same may start to happen with ICE, albeit at different rates so as to discourage fossil fuel travel and levy higher amounts into the treasury.

If you had an 'ebike' that was just motor driven, any motorcyclist would be wondering why the ebike is untaxed, un mot'd and uninsured.... it would start with low powered moped owners saying " well hang on, why should i have to abide by the law when they don't " and then there's the inevitable ebike owners who find a workaround to de_restrict the speed ( why wouldnt you?? ) and so again, its about where do you draw the line? There cant be any leeway for mopeds because then other bikers will kick off.

Ultimately if its powered and on a highway, it needs at least, a yearly safety check ( other road vehicles have mot ) and insurance..... maybe even a licence

By the same logic, there would already be lots of overpowered pedelecs running around, that are > 250w or can go faster than 15mph.

"Powered" bicycles are already allowed up to 250W and below 15 mph. The problem is the silly requirement to have pedals, which effectively bans e-scooters for no good reason.

You sound a bit disreputable there Paul :LOL:

Back