Money's no object !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuartgb100

Established Member
Reaction score
So, you've won the lottery, come into a big inheritance, etc.
Cost is no longer a problem, nor is limited space in the workshop.
You can indulge yourself !
What kit would you buy, and why ?
Would it be brand new (modern), or a professionally refurbished classic item ?

Sadly this is not me - just dreaming !
Cheers.

Probably a lovely old shop style like Lost Art Press or Barn the Spoon, big windows. A little machine shop full of vintage stuff with big cast iron tables and invest in a good amount of lumber, Maybe with milling capability. Id like to have a space to teach (although Im not at a level to teach!) and invited people to give classes. Id also like to have the chance to have young people in. Get kids using their hands again

Cheers.
A yacht and sod the workshop.

I think more than money it would be space for me so I could stuff all these machines in my workshop. But you need money for that!

Union Graduate lathe, Meddings floor standing drill (or some big ass'd american equivalent), a startrite bandsaw (or a cast iron brute made in the early 20th century - I've seen them I just can't remember the maker's names) and a boley 4le lathe.

Not sure what I would buy, but probably big old machines rather than shiny new ones.
What would I keep? My Startrite table saw and all my Bosch professional cordless tools.

Yes, cast iron Wadkin kit, but with modern fully ducted professional extraction. Oh, yes, and a mdern digital one metre wide belt sander. Workshop, Highly insulated, loads of space and light, solar panels on the pitched roof and the ground source heat pump for the house would also heat the attached (no need to go out in the rain/cold to get there) workshop. But what about hand tools? For me, enough Holtey planes to cover all eventualities and a full set of top end Japanese Suminagashi chisels.

Heaven.

Jim

invest in wood, I'd just get a bigger space but mostly keep the tools I already use.

I would go for older tools/machines and large stock of decent timber and a nice workshop/store/yard to keep it all.

Money and space in abundance, just the space is what many of us dream about so a really decent sliding panel saw would be top of my list, something you can just cut up full sheets into all the required panels with no effort. Then next a call to @deema to supply a really good old spindle moulder and all the tooling needed, also a planer and a thicknesser as seperates but all would be good old refurbed machines. Lets not overlook a couple of large workbenches and also some assembly benches. A visit to Ralph at Benchdogs and Peter at the Woodworkers workshop to fill in some more of the space and we should be getting there. Oh nearly forgot I would get some training in how to sharpen chissels and use hand planes, something that has eluded me.

East wing : Tony Stark's lab
West wing : wood shop

What a lot of us dream of is the space and kit that makes friends and family want to come and hang out with us and do fun projects together.
Woodwork, machining, CNC, welding, fabrication, hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics, electromech, robotics ... all of it

For me I'm not sure it would be the "toys" or space, per se. I would approach it more from the point of view of embarking on some large, worthwhile project. Perhaps get a team of like minded "fellow travellers" together to renovate a historic building in need of lots of TLC. What space, or bits of kit one needed, would follow on from this.

I must confess, that I still have a hankering to build a Roman Villa. - complete with mosaics and frescoes Nothing as ostentatious as the one Paul Getty built in California, but at least one I could get through modern building regs and live in. :LOL:

Large detached house , no neighbours apart from horses and cows and a separate barn converted to a workshop proper table saw , planer -thicknesser . Spindle moulder etc oh and I mustn’t forget the fully stocked carp lake for days when I don’t fancy sawdust and shavings

Cheers.
Keep pretty much all I've got but move to a house with space for a good-sized shed. As long as the tools do the job required, Id see no need to change them.

A big open workshop with separate work stations, a partitioned area for resin work, shower curtain style dividers to contain majority of dust and shavings, especially around the lathe. An even bigger temperature controlled space to store my woods.
As for tools I'd probably go with new equipment, obviously a big lathe with all accessories, multiple chucks for anything I'm ever likely to need, full range of turning tools, 2 bandsaws because im lazy and dont want to change out blades if I dont have to, one for rough cutting/ripping and one for more detailed/accurate work, a whole station for shaping and sharpening that will probably have 2 or 3 bench grinders with different grit wheels and a Robert Sorby pro edge.
As money is no object there's one thing none of you seem to have considered, an assistant to help and keeps everything clean and tidy in its place.

Latest posts

Back