How to fix this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriship

Reaction score
My wife's annoying dog has chewed a part of cabinet and I'd like to try and fix it. It doesn't look like a major job to me but I've never really done this sort of thing before so am looking for advice.

Would it be a case of filling, sanding down and varnishing again? I've no idea how I'd get the same finish/colour back as the rest of the cabinet.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Chris

IMG_4404.jpeg

IMG_4405.jpeg

IMG_4399.jpeg

Sand the loose bits off , fill, and sand that down would be my choice.
Getting it to ever look right again though is a black art. It looks like a coloured varnish or lacquer of some type. Certainly don't try to stain the wood. Apart from anything else the filler will take up stain differently. You could always paint that part to match, and then a light coat of clear sealer.

Cover it up? You could get some L shaped wood section, some call them trims other calls them mouldings, to fit between the side doors. Stain it or even paint it black. or even look at some aluminium. Trim. Fix with double sided tape. Wait until dog grows out of chewing and come back to do the job properly in a year or few or never.

Are the shelves easily removed? If so, could you rip a strip from the rear of one of them and use that as a source of matching veneer to use for the repair?

Latest posts

Back