Guttering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croolis

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's more shed stuff.

I've never installed guttering or had to think about it in my life. I've decided my new shed needs it. I want to be as cheapskate as possible. There's an old people's home behind my shed. The nearest building is 30 feet away across grass.

I have a fence (I didn't build this), there's a funny little no man's land about a foot or so wide, then another fence for the old folks' home. Nothing but weeds etc growing in the space between the fences. I'm thinking I could pipe the water from the shed over my fence (the gap is ~half a metre bewteen shed and my fence) and just let it drain into the no man's land. Not even bother with a downpipe, just let it flow out and fall couple metres to the ground in there.

Is this a shockingly bad and mardy thing to do? Will it hurt anything? I mean, I wouldn't dream of putting it straight into anyone's garden of course, but there really is nothing down there. Would it trash the fence? Typical wooden fence panels with the concrete base thing at the bottom.The shed is 10ft by 8ft with an apex roof, so two pipes going over the fence.

If I'm not putting it over the fence, I've got to downpipe it to the ground by my shed and/or water butt it, which I really don't want to do. Pricing this up, I'd be up to 100 quid plus on bloody plastic pipe grr.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
A pragmatic approach would be to do as you suggest and go outside with an umbrella next time it rains to monitor the situation. That would tell you if anything bad is happening and if adding a downpipe would help.

As you say, water falling two metres is going to make a bit of a splash so the effect of that is what you have to assess. As an outside possibility, could you make a pebbled area in the drop zone (bit of landscape fabric under the pebbles), which would attenuate the deluge and stop any rebound?

Latest posts

Back