Fire safety/Fire extinguishers - what to buy etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even smoking cigarettes takes 30/40 years of doing it constantly to end up with chronic issues.
I was serving a dozen or so newly qualified doctors in a bar one night (20 years ago) and commented that I was surprised most of them smoked. They said it was fine, it did no harm so long as you gave up by the time you were thirty.

I seem to remember that when I worked in a refinery in the Middle East they had to use a special fire fighting foam as the normal stuff was made of pigs' blood (a no-no for Muslims, of course)

I seem to remember that when I worked in a refinery in the Middle East they had to use a special fire fighting foam as the normal stuff was made of pigs' blood (a no-no for Muslims, of course)
From 1979 Oe blood foam agents were to be phasd out. The Armed forces used up stock.
They new agent is commonly called AFFF.

I remember reading that a problem at the time of the Indian Mutiny was that beef fat and pork fat were used in the making of shells so offending both Muslims and Hindus.

One thing to watch out for is with the dry powder ABC rated fire extinguishers, the contents can 'clump and solidify' over time and many manufacturers say to turn them upside down or rotate them on their side periodically (often as little as every three months) to prevent this from happening...

Otherwise you can have 'pressure' but if you try to use it- nothing comes out but the pressurised air!!!

(some people say this isn't necessary, but I know that the one in my tilt tray (5 years old when I used it, gauge in the green') did NOT work- hissed but no powder came out (which when I checked online was told 'oh you never shook it regularly did you'- um no- first I had heard of it...

The guy who was to refill it later took one look at it inside and told me, just buy a new one- the ammonium phosphate??? inside was a single solid 'block' and it would take hours to 'break it up' enough to get it out of the tanks neck...

Luckily I had a second 'fire extinguisher in a can' I have carried in my workpack ever since a car I was in caught fire while driving along!!!) and it was (just barely) big enough for the job (crashed car's wiring shorted out and the bonnet was too damaged to open to disconnect the battery- it started smoking and glowing while being winched off the tree...
(I now have TWO separate extinguishers- one each side- and both are shaken and tipped upside down every three months)

Makes you wonder just how effective most peoples powder extinguishers would really be in an emergency...

One thing to watch out for is with the dry powder ABC rated fire extinguishers, the contents can 'clump and solidify' over time and many manufacturers say to turn them upside down or rotate them on their side periodically (often as little as every three months) to prevent this from happening...

Otherwise you can have 'pressure' but if you try to use it- nothing comes out but the pressurised air!!!

(some people say this isn't necessary, but I know that the one in my tilt tray (5 years old when I used it, gauge in the green') did NOT work- hissed but no powder came out (which when I checked online was told 'oh you never shook it regularly did you'- um no- first I had heard of it...

The guy who was to refill it later took one look at it inside and told me, just buy a new one- the ammonium phosphate??? inside was a single solid 'block' and it would take hours to 'break it up' enough to get it out of the tanks neck...

Luckily I had a second 'fire extinguisher in a can' I have carried in my workpack ever since a car I was in caught fire while driving along!!!) and it was (just barely) big enough for the job (crashed car's wiring shorted out and the bonnet was too damaged to open to disconnect the battery- it started smoking and glowing while being winched off the tree...
(I now have TWO separate extinguishers- one each side- and both are shaken and tipped upside down every three months)

Makes you wonder just how effective most peoples powder extinguishers would really be in an emergency...
Great tip,thanks

Latest posts

Back