Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, pedestrians now don't have to take responsibility, due to recent changes, they have precedence in right of way over the car.
Still likely to end up over the car bonnet anyway though.
I think that pedestrian priority is applied with some common sense.

Deliberately (or even inattentively) stepping into the path of a vehicle which has insufficient time to react, stop or avoid would not render the car liable.

Priority is where a pedestrian has started to cross the road, waiting by a zebra crossing etc.

Deliberately (or even inattentively) stepping into the path of a vehicle which has insufficient time to react, stop or avoid would not render the car liable.

Priority is where a pedestrian has started to cross the road, waiting by a zebra crossing etc.
The whole thing's ridiculous. Motorists should be allowed to run down pedestrians whenever the urge takes them, cyclists too. What's the world coming to?

Its not just at designated crossing zones now. 2022 update of highway code states:

Rule H2 applies to drivers, motorcyclists horse-drawn vehicles, horse riders and cyclists. It reads:

“At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning.”

From January 2022 a pedestrian waiting to cross should be given priority. Previously, drivers were told to give way to pedestrians if they ‘have started crossing and traffic wants to turn into the road’. The change also appears in the revised Rule 170.

Rule H2 also advises drivers on pedestrian priority at zebra crossings. Rule 195 goes into more detail and tells us that drivers:

MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing
SHOULD give way when a pedestrian is waiting to cross
Although drivers are asked to give way more often, pedestrians still have a responsibility to cross safely. A new addition to Rule 8 makes it clear that pedestrians should ‘cross at a place where drivers can see you.’

You would like to think so but sadly not.

The new Highway Code rule changes resulted from a public consultation that took place between July and October 2020 to improve road safety for pedestrians, cyclists, and horse riders alike. The consultation saw 20,000 respondents among the general public, businesses, and organisations who voted in favour of all the changes proposed.

The new changes have come into effect on the 28th of January 2022 and will need to be observed by all road users.

There are five new changes to take into consideration:

1. Hierarchy of Road Users

Three new rules have been introduced as part of this category:

Rule H1 (Danger on the Road): States that drivers are the ones who can cause the most significant harm in the event of a collision and that they bear the greatest responsibility when it comes to taking care of and reducing dangers to others around them.

Rule H2 (Pedestrians Crossing): Highlighting that at junctions, drivers should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross on a road into which they are turning.

No doubt solicitors from both sides would be making money on this one.

Sadly not the case, common sense all gone.

Isn't the whole point of reducing emissions to make the air safer, not to mention the planet as a whole?

Other people's safety, rather than just yours.
I had a little wager as to who would pop up with this, some might say - trite, comment. I won my bet with myself. :)

Back