A recommendation for conspiracists/people who understand things the rest of us don't

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
There's been a few threads on topics that have become controversial even though the credible evidence might suggest they shouldn't be.
I've been scratching my head why "some bloke on Youtube" is seen by some as a valid citation.
It turns out there's quite an interesting book about that very question (and other stuff about the depths of what I would see as an internet-algorithm amplified rabbit hole that some people get trapped in).
Anyway, I'd recommend it very highly; the main weakness is the conclusion - which is an attempt to find hope where I don't think there's much around.

The book is "Doppelganger" by Naomi Klein, Prof. at University of British Colombia and author of "No Logo" and several others you'll likely have heard of.
I'd particularly recommend to those who find themselves being labelled as conspiracists - at the very least it will give you an insight into why the rest of us think you've been suckered in.

Last edited:
When it comes to you tube just tread very carefully because it is just a free for all and very hard sometimes to separate reality from the fairies as evidenced by these so called influencers who I dare say can only influence the vunerable and gullable who would buy snake lubricant anyway.

The internet, and social media (FB, UT, Insta, TT, etc) is the world's largest echo chamber, whatever you shout into it through your search bar and mouse click it feeds you ever more of the same. If you are a loon it used to be difficult to find like minded individuals, now there is a virtual room/hottub full of your fellow loons just waiting for you to jump in. The chief loon in whatever area of interest is then emboldened by the 1000s of people that the echo chamber has led to them. When you think about it you realize what a broken system it is for supporting critical thought and rational debate.

There's been a few threads on topics that have become controversial even though the credible evidence might suggest they shouldn't be.
I've been scratching my head why "some bloke on Youtube" is seen by some as a valid citation.
It turns out there's quite an interesting book about that very question (and other stuff about the depths of what I would see as an internet-algorithm amplified rabbit hole that some people get trapped in).
Anyway, I'd recommend it very highly; the main weakness is the conclusion - which is an attempt to find hope where I don't think there's much around.

The book is "Doppelganger" by Naomi Klein, Prof. at University of British Colombia and author of "No Logo" and several others you'll likely have heard of.
I'd particularly recommend to those who find themselves being labelled as conspiracists - at the very least it will give you an insight into why the rest of us think you've been suckered in.
A case in point
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cx2lyzw7xwxo

Missed Mar el Lago by inches! Obviously another Trump assassination attempt. :unsure:
Ruffled his hair a touch. You can see he looks shaken but unbowed.

Screenshot 2024-10-10 at 17.52.44.png

Last edited:
Back